Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

180mW Blu-ray pictures

So here is my latest laser. This bad boy puts out 180mW. It is Very powerful. I am moving to Ocean Beach so I am looking forward to thick ocean fog for some better outdoor shots. It isn't the prettiest laser as it is just an old junker remote control that I had lying around. I am planning on building myself a few pen style blu-rays hopefully as powerful as this one. If they aren't as powerful I may just have to swap the diodes out because this one is awesome.

And a little video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSHvzVvlFqU

Yeah it's pretty sweet. If you told me 1 year ago that I would have a 180mW blu-ray that I built for less than $50 I would have had a good laugh.

Stunning pics, love that cool color!

Is it an 803t diode or a 6X diode in the laser, and what current are you driving it at?

This is a PHR-803T diode being way over driven up to the just below the max that the low current lavadrive can go up to. I haven't tested the current though so I don't know how much is getting through. I only tested the output of the laser as I adjusted current. I figured it would die at some point but it never did. I decided to keep it up here at 180mW as it performs great and I have put some good use on it and it is still kicking strong.

If it is reaching 180mw, it must have a really high current. Isn't it a bit too risky? But of course, the reward for the risktaking is great, 180mw of raw blu-ray power. :cool:

daguin

LazerGuy said:
If it is reaching 180mw, it must have a really high current. Isn't it a bit too risky? But of course, the reward for the risktaking is great, 180mw of raw blu-ray power. :cool:

Exactly! You can't burn it for an hour straight, but with a duty cycle . . . . . .

I may just stop "testing" the one I built. It was done to prove a concept. With more than one out there now, the concept is proven. I think I will just enjoy the beam (and the risk involved) and stop torturing it. It will live as long as it can.

Peace,
dave

Very nice, but damn you all! Now I'll have to push my few available BR diodes to higher powers. Guess it's time for a real cooling system.

daguin

FrothyChimp said:
Very nice, but damn you all! Now I'll have to push my few available BR diodes to higher powers. Guess it's time for a real cooling system.

Yes, Please! :eek:

Peace,
dave

180mW was measured with the lens. I have never bothered measuring a laser without a lens. I had this laser on a lot last night as I was taking the pictures. It runs on 2 AAA batteries. After they get down in voltage the driver begins to put out less current. This morning it only measures at 100mW.

If it is 180mW with lens that thing has to be putting out over 200mW raw output! AWESOME!

Xombie

o_O

Very nice.

I loved in the vid when you reflected it off your Rubiks cube. :D

IgorT

So this one has been running for six days now?

I lost one diode while it was putting out 174mW (after a plastic lens), at 187mA. It was a very efficient freak diode.
I had one, that tested slightly lower, and i set it a bit lower, to 178mA, but got 179mW! But i was worried it would kill itself with a higher optical output, even tho it was running at a lower current, so i lowered it further to 169mA, and now it's at 171mW..

But seeing this makes me want to go higher again. ::)

Too bad you don't know the current.. The PHR diodes vary in power a lot! I set the weakest one i could find to 191mA, and it's only doing 130mW..

I tore the laser apart. You are right about the power variance. Now that I am having trouble getting my others to go so high I decided to use this diode in a pen style laser that I will use outside of my apartment.