Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

180 mw laser diode help

cul8r

I purchased a laser diode module from ebay and get no heat from it at all. very bright and you can see the beam in a dark room and also see the dot outside on the brightest of days. but no burn,the specs on the baby are as follows ------- Single Mode Red 650nm long die open can laser diode module.
Long die open can laser diodes are rated for Class IIIb 180mW+ @650-670nm CW extract from new(never used) DVD Bunner Driver.
This long die open can diode have been probed to be very stable at high power output ranging from 180mW+.
This is long die open can diode so they are extremly fragile therefore must very careful to open lens and must use proper heat sink for high power drive.
The ideal use of this open can diode is 130mW CW at 420mA with acrylic lens( 180mW with glass lens).
This module used acrylic lens but it is possible order optional glass lens at $12.
I ship it after test(360mA without heat sink).
I have powered it up at 360 ma at 3.6 volts with 317 type driver, no heat, any input would be much appreciated.

Usually, to burn anything with those you've got to focus the spot on what ever you want to burn. You're not going to feel any heat if you put your hand in front of it. Also, whether or not it will burn depends on the color of the object.

If you want to burn things, why waste money on lasers to do it? A book of matches is free, and a lighter costs $1.00..

Focus the laser so that the dot is the size of a pin head when it strikes the object, also as ElektroFreak said, the color of the object will help. Try to burn dark colored objects to maximize light absorbtion.

cul8r

I can't get the beam down to a pin point. do I need a good set of glass lenses? or what other roads can I go down to get a little power from this thing?

Grix

It won't burn unless you focus it to a pinpoint.