Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Laser Pointer Store

16x + DX30 - combining the cheap and hard way!

Switch

Well here's my shot at combining green and red.I consider it a semi success considering the "precision equipment" I used. It took a lot of time and was very frustrating.Everything was wobbly, the DX30 batteries started to drain, i had to watch duty cycles, the room was hot and smeled really bad from all the smoke.Well anyway, here are some pics of the yellow beam and my "setup". :p

My dichro is the brewster window salvadged from a DVD burner. And yea, I realise there's a LOT of mess in my room :D

Switch

VillageIdiot said:
Didja use ciggy smoke to visualise the beams?  ;D
Lol.I actually don't smoke.Those cigarette packs aren't mine. :p I actually used toilet paper and plastic in an ashtray for smoke :D And the dichro mount is a "modded" q-tip ;D

Switch

But cheaper. :D And I don't think it's worse since I only do it once in a very long while. :p

diachi

I found if you spray deoderant, from a deoderant can that as a fine particlizer thingy, you can see the beam pretty well, i could see the beam from a <1mW laser with no trouble at all, and It stays in the air for a while too, plus it also smells nice ;D

But anyhoo back on topic, nice work, now you need to build it into a handheld pointer ;D Or is that a job for wannaburn ? :D

Diachi

Switch

It wouldn't really work as a pointer because of the huge difference in beam diameter.I just focused the red so it converges to match the green better, but a few feet away the red was huge. :p I would need to open the DX laser up and play with the last 2 lenses.

Not enough green to make a good yellow.
I know, there's too much red.The batteries in the DX30 were a little above 1.1V so it was dimming out by the time I got to the camera. :p

Benm

I guess the green/red ratio is off, but that is of little concern as its easily adjusted...

But what was wondering about: does that 'dichro' actually do a good job in terms of reflecting red and passing green, or is it only so-so? From the picture it seems like an awful lot of red is passing, and hitting something (paper?) on the right of the picture.

Switch

Benm said:
I guess the green/red ratio is off, but that is of little concern as its easily adjusted...

But what  was wondering about: does that 'dichro' actually do a good job in terms of reflecting red and passing green, or is it only so-so? From the  picture it seems like an awful lot of red is passing, and hitting something (paper?) on the right of the picture.
Yea , it's hitting a dx envelope.But at the right angle of 45 degrees it reflects more than 90% red.I set it at that angle to lose some red and also to minimize green reflection.

I'll have to try it again with good batteries ,but I also have to get a better setup, I'm not going through that all over again. ::)