Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

150mw DX green- are they decent?

Hello everyone. I just bought one of these from Kaidomain(New Wish 150mw green). It's not here yet, still at the beginning of the long 2-week wait for shipping.. :-/

What I'd like to know, from any of you that have one of these, are the standard bunch of questions..

1) Are they decently stable, or do they dim out quickly/ mode hop?
2) Has anyone measured the actual output of these with a lasercheck or similar?
3) How terrible is the IR filter(Don't want to burn my eyes out)?

4) How dependable is Kaidomain?(I know it's a little late to ask)

I was going to buy from DX, but they are out of stock(Kai says in stock). As far as asking about the laser after buying, the 150 and 200 are all I can afford at the moment, plus I am hoping to have it by March 25th, as I have family coming over thatwants to see a greenie burn stuff up lol, not to mention day pointing. The 200 from what I read is very hit and miss, mostly terrible. The reviews on DX of the 150 seem to show happy owners :)

I have gone from a 50mw Newwish(I modded it and killed it), to a Radioshack 5mw(dimmer than he** and burned out after 5 mins- it lights up for a fraction of a second then goes dim), to this 150mw.. the idea is that it will put out at least 100mw(I hope) and do some minor burning, and awesome day pointing. I do NOT want to mod it.. just ruin it as-is. My 50mw day pointed great, but didn't burn.

Thanks in advance,
Heath

While you wait,

Seek Protective eyewear, if you dont think you need it, read read read the pages here...

If your friends do not have glasses, video tape it for them to see,,, this is not a playtoy, its real and it can blind people, take head and be safe.

I wish you well and hope you enjoy all the lasers you buy, just make sure you read and learn what to buy BEFORE you go staring at the dot of your laser.

SN

Goggles would be nice.. my 50mw was bright as it was... i wonder about the IR ouput though.

Anyone have one of these lasers to comment on?

Well, the laser itself is good, but the casing ruins the laser. first off, the casing heats up therefor making the laser dim. The Button usually gets a bad connection with the metal so that can cause it to dim or not turn on sometimes. if you drop it once your probably screwed...
if only they would put it in a different case, it wouldnt be so much of a problem. i recomend buying it for modding the laser into something else..

Amnizu

If you're using a laser greater than 10mW, goggles are no longer optional. Seriously, even if you're not going to wear them all the time, as a laser owner, you should have at least one pair.

Ace82

The DX150 is a very decent laser for the price. The beam divergence may not be as good as it gets, but can be adjusted by a super geek. :p It's build is ok but sustainable. There are some reviews on the output power out there, keep searching. :-X (I never tested mine). However, I also bought a DX True 100 that was exactly the same in power, divergence, and look. Some reviews on DX say that the 100 is brighter then the 150. Mine did NOT come with an IR filter. But from what I hear, the cap blocks most of the IR because the IR spreads like a normal flashlight, only what escapes the aperture leaks. The IR leakage is min. due to physical build design.

geo-r

Amnizu said:
If you're using a laser greater than 10mW, goggles are no longer optional. Seriously, even if you're not going to wear them all the time, as a laser owner, you should have at least one pair.

Hi i want to ask you if i buy a 532nm goggles it protect me also from IR?

Amnizu

geo-r said:
[quote author=Amnizu link=1204780999/0#5 date=1205734833]If you're using a laser greater than 10mW, goggles are no longer optional. Seriously, even if you're not going to wear them all the time, as a laser owner, you should have at least one pair.

Hi i want to ask you if i buy a 532nm goggles it protect me also from IR?[/quote]

No. You need special IR goggles to protect you from IR. No goggles except goggles designed for IR will protect you at all.

geo-r

Amnizu said:
[quote author=geo-r link=1204780999/0#7 date=1205782359][quote author=Amnizu link=1204780999/0#5 date=1205734833]If you're using a laser greater than 10mW, goggles are no longer optional. Seriously, even if you're not going to wear them all the time, as a laser owner, you should have at least one pair.

Hi i want to ask you if i buy a 532nm goggles it protect me also from IR?[/quote]

No. You need special IR goggles to protect you from IR. No goggles except goggles designed for IR will protect you at all. [/quote]
Thanks for answering.From where can i buy ir googles?

Amnizu

geo-r said:
[quote author=Amnizu link=1204780999/0#8 date=1205784507][quote author=geo-r link=1204780999/0#7 date=1205782359][quote author=Amnizu link=1204780999/0#5 date=1205734833]If you're using a laser greater than 10mW, goggles are no longer optional. Seriously, even if you're not going to wear them all the time, as a laser owner, you should have at least one pair.

No. You need special IR goggles to protect you from IR. No goggles except goggles designed for IR will protect you at all. [/quote]
Thanks for answering.From where can i buy ir googles?[/quote]

BlueFusion or pseudonomen137 should be able to hook you up.

Ace82 said:
The DX150 is a very decent laser for the price. The beam divergence may not be as good as it gets, but can be adjusted by a super geek. :p It's build is ok but sustainable. There are some reviews on the output power out there, keep searching. :-X (I never tested mine). However, I also bought a DX True 100 that was exactly the same in power, divergence, and look. Some reviews on DX say that the 100 is brighter then the 150. Mine did NOT come with an IR filter. But from what I hear, the cap blocks most of the IR because the IR spreads like a normal flashlight, only what escapes the aperture leaks. The IR leakage is min. due to physical build design.

How do you know that it doesn't have an ir filter? its not visible on the outside and every newwish laser ive seen does have an ir filter.

Also ir isint blocked by the cap, it doesn't spread out that much so it would still get through, but after 3 feet it would be harmless. While those ir goggles would block ir.... they wouldn't block green so you would end up having to wear green and ir goggles on top of it and because of that it would be like looking through really dark sunglasses, it can get very annoying when you cant even see good with regular light.

....lazer.... ;D ;D ;D

Ace82

I know my DX 150 did not have an IR filter because it is now completely disassembeled, and there was no filter.

I just drew up a quick little diagram of how I believe (the idea was taken from another thread, but I don't remember which one exactly) of how the design of the cap blocking most of the IR. However, I am completely open and I want everybody to know that it is just what makes sense in my head. Correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Attachments

• Ir.JPG
    Ir.JPG
    15.1 KB · Views: 106
Finally got my NewWish 150mw from Kaidomain. :)

I can say this is a decent laser. Mine has less beem divergence than the 50mw I had. This one has no stability issues. Even on new lithiums, it holds stable for as long as I keep it on(30 seconds max since I dont' want to beat it up). Super bright, and burns everything as expected.. even SLOWLY starts to light a cigarette. The beam isn't really visible outside in daylight, but inside the house, or at night, WOW.

These, as I am sure many know, are NOT pot-moddable. I see no reaso to perform any othr serious mods and blow it out like i did my 50mw. This is something I wish I knew before I pulled the cap and scratched it up some LOL.

So, all in all, for $91US, I am happy. No goggles yet, but I am using common sense with it, so all is well.

IgorT

Ace82 said:
I just drew up a quick little diagram of how I believe (the idea was taken from another thread, but I don't remember which one exactly) of how the design of the cap blocking most of the IR.  However, I am completely open and I want everybody to know that it is just what makes sense in my head.  Correct me if I'm wrong.   :)

I have tested two DX200 for IR with a modified and an unmodified CCD camera. I found very low IR leaking at the top aperture.

When i dissasembled one of them, and did the same at different stages, i noticed that the amount of IR glow around the green beam slowly decreases at each stage.

I believe the reason for this is, that the IR is completelly uncollimated, when it enters the crystals.
The green beam comes out of the crystals quite narrow, and there is a lot of spreading IR glow around it.
Then there is the expander lens, which expands the green and some IR, while blocking most IR (due to the brass holding it). With the expander on the IR glow decreases a lot compared to the glow at the crystals.
The collimator again mostly collimates the green, a little of the remaining IR, while blocking most of it with the brass nut. There is still a lot of IR glow noticable, but much less than at the expander.
The narrow top apperture lets some of the spreading IR out, but again blocks a lot of it. Here the glow is hardly noticable with an unmodified camera and completelly overpowered by the green.

My other DX200 has a slightly more noticable IR glow at the top apperture, but with that one the green beam doesn't come out in the middle, so i believe it comes from the alignment.

The amount of IR is probably comparable to a 30mW IR LED. Maybe 40, and since it doesn't come out focused, it is not really that dangerous. You still shouldn't be looking into the laser in any case. :)

If this was a higher quality laser with collimation between the pump diode and the crystals, the amount of IR would most likely be much higher, so it would need a filter. But the way these lasers are built prevents too much leaking.

Unfortunatelly it also increases the probability of mode hopping and other issues.

Ace82

That is a really good laser. But please, not to destroy it, make sure to keep it's duty cycle limited. The optics on it are CHEAP. They will crack if you go over 10min. ;D lol, very decent laser. The divergence of the 808nm "green" laser is not to be better then the blu-ray or the 650nm. It's a good laser. My friend destroyed mine. :mad: