Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

125mw Uniphase SLM 532nm Laser: Worth?

airy52

Any idea what this is worth??
All I can tell from the pics is that its a "Uniphase SLM-Green laser". 532nm 125mw. Does anyone know what the big box is? power supply? something for holography? It's for sale close to me for 195$ but I don't know what its worth. Any help would be appreciated!

1. What is the big black box.
2. How can I power it on to test it in store.
3. The cable connecting them is like a 10 pin connector or something. Why?
4. What is it worth, if it works?

THANKS!!!

Edit: With more research I have come to believe it is this, if it is of any help:
http://www.walshcomptech.com/repairfaq/sam/ug4601-1.jpg

Here are pictures of the one available to me:

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

d.jpg

e.jpg

f.jpg

g.jpg

h.jpg

Normally SLMs are worthless to hobbyists (even used they cost more per mW than a new regular MLM and we don't get any use of the bonuses of an SLM), but I recently got a task that would be able to make good of one. If you can make sure its in good working order (don't care how it looks as long as it behaves like new), you can buy it off the guy for $195 and I'll offer you $300 to get it shipped to me. Lemme know if you're interested.

airy52

I'd be interested. Just tell me how to test it :p

I would have to have this done tomorrow morning because I am leaving and going home. I can't seem to find a data sheet to test it somehow or what the plugs are for.

What is SLM? Why is it useless..? Explain to me please :p

Thanks

Ah, well unless its missing cables I'd assume you can just plug things together and try getting it going. If its missing cables and you can't test, lemme know (you can give me a call at 972 5356177) and we can try to work something out.

SLM is short for single longitudinal mode. Typical greenies aren't confined to such stringent conditions. Normally you expect a single transverse mode (TEM00), but anything goes as far as longitudinal. An SLM furthers this by permitting only a single wavelength/longitudinal mode to lase. With an SLM, you get notably better coherence length. Doesn't really do anything for us hobbyists, but it can be crucial for holography and other tasks that rely on a high degree of coherence.

airy52

Well, as you can see in the pics it has a cable with a bunch of pins going from black box to laser. and that box has 2 inputs. One is a round plug with like 6(approx) pins and the other is a wide rectangle one. No ac plugs or anything...

Actually theres 3 inputs. Pictures 7down and 8down show them.... Any ideas??

Hard to tell from the pic. The two ones wit a lot of pins seems like standard DB25 and DB9 ports. Dunno if they're to interface with a computer or for actual power reqs though. More likely, that round one is the pain in the butt. I don't know enough about those types of cables to gain any info from the pic, but that's likely where your real power is gunna go through, and it seems like some sort of a power supply would have to connect into that. :-/

airy52

Oh.. I thought that may have been the power supply.

I don't think I'm going to pick this one up, too much uncertainty about it. But I'm a nice guy. So I'll let you know where it is.

Its at HSC electronics over in santa clara. Their website is halted.com which you can get their phone number off of and call them. The laser is right after you walk in on the left, on the table of nice stuff. (its a big place, so location is important, believe me. :p) Good luck and thanks for the info about SLM.