Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

10x11.4mm buck-boost driver, miniaturized version

I have received requests about a miniaturized version of my driver.
So here it is the 10.1 x 11.4mm dual sided version.

attachment.php

Luke

Attachments

• drv.jpg
    drv.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 1,301
Last edited:

Onryo

This kicks ass !!! What are the specs like? Can this thing feed a 9mm diode with 2.1A? The 9mm diodes seem to hang out at around 4.8V @ 2.1. What I really love with this driver is the TPS chip ... and the fact that you have a trim pot! Please keep the trim! If I remember right the ripple is only about 30-35mA in boost and even less in buck :) Can this thing buck down to power a 635nm Mits diod at 2.5V?

This driver is going to be a hit! Can't wait to see these in somebodies shop!

All the best!
Onryo

Last edited:

AnthoT

Alright everyone it's official I will be stocking these for a while!!! Price is TBA but aproximately flesdrives price :D

sinner

Thats great news, but that'll be a bit high as of now those days are over we have much more choices and this wont be a hit unless it is offered at a competitive price..

I'm very happy to announce that AnthoT will distribute this driver. :beer:
I will continue to provide technical assistance for this project.
Good luck Anthot and many thanks for your support :wave:
-Luke

AnthoT

I will try & make it as low as possible... Just the ic is 8$.

BTW when I said that that was more of a max price estimate, not price ;)

This particular version is, from now, supported by Anthot

Luke,

Am I mistaken, but did you use to have a gerber file attached to this thread? In addition am I as an individual allowed to try and make this "particular" version of the driver myself for myself?

Thanks.

gillza

This particular version is, from now, supported by Anthot

So if I take your files from previous threads, play with them, and come up with the same shape, am I allowed to make it for myself for my own builds without bying it from third party? Just curious.

Thanks.

I have no intention of selling it.

P.S.

Well I guess the removal of the driver layout snapshot is an answer to my question.

Good luck with sales, I'll give this a try when it becomes available.

Last edited:

AnthoT

The flex drives use the tps63010. That IC only has an Iout Max of 1.2A. This new design is using the tps63020 having a Ioux Max of 3A. Both the flex and this design are using high side current sense. As far as I know only the flex and this drive are using a high side current sense IC that boost here. For efficiency this is a massive plus! The rsense resistor is often only 0.01ohm!

The way I see it this is a flex drive with a chip that can deal with higher current. Finally!!!

I am going to put this thing though its paces and see it it lives up to its little brothers reputation. Have a feeling it will.

As far as cost goes.
One of the most popular buck drives used for lasers here on LPF is using a AX2002 chip that costs less then 1USD each. Its a great buck drive! Ripple with less then 10mA about 90% efficient and can pump out about 2.0A+ ... but it still costs like 3USD to make! Why should this buck/boost drive cost less then a Flex? Competition is good! In fact this drive might force the price of a Flex drive down ... you know the rest!

That's some very good points you got there :) but the flex was expensive, I don't like expensive things but this driver is great so I think it's worth the price it will be set at. :)

Btw orders will be accepted soon, just got a bit more to do before this :)

Also, blue PCB's sound good :D let's get some unique colors, not always purple & green

Last edited:

Onryo

The flex drives use the tps63010. That IC only has an Iout Max of 1.2A. This new design is using the tps63020 having a Ioux Max of 3A. Not sure exactly what the current range is for this design though. A guess might be about 2.1A with a 3.7 Li-Ion? Luke ... :wave: ? Both the flex and this design are using high side current sense. As far as I know only the flex and this drive are using a high side current sense IC that buck/boost here on LPF. For efficiency this is a massive plus! The rsense resistor is often only 0.01ohm!

The way I see it this is more or less a flex drive with a chip that can deal with higher current. Finally!!!

I am going to put this thing though its paces and see it it lives up to its little brothers reputation. Have a feeling it will.

As far as cost goes.
One of the most popular buck drives used for lasers here on LPF is using a AX2002 chip that costs less then 1USD each. Its a great buck drive! Ripple with less then 10mA about 90% efficient and can pump out about 2.0A+ ... but it still costs like 3USD to make! Why should this buck/boost drive cost less then a Flex? Competition is good! In fact this drive might force the price of a Flex drive down ... you know the rest!

All the best!
Onryo

gillza

The flex drives use the tps63010. That IC only has an Iout Max of 1.2A. This new design is using the tps63020 having a Ioux Max of 3A. Both the flex and this design are using high side current sense. As far as I know only the flex and this drive are using a high side current sense IC that boost here. For efficiency this is a massive plus! The rsense resistor is often only 0.01ohm!

The way I see it this is a flex drive with a chip that can deal with higher current. Finally!!!

As far as cost goes.

Flexdrive is long gone. Dr.lava stopped making/supporting them it seems. Flaminpyro (official re-distributor of flexdrives) does not stock them. He does not know what is happening himself. It is safe to assume that flexdrives have now faded into history.
Foulmist uses this same chip and uses high side current sensing if I am not mistaken.
There is another driver out-there that uses TSP63020
http://laserpointerforums.com/f67/tps63020-based-driver-70311.html

I realize that I have little grounds here, but I think it would be nice to return original post to its original state :) I mean what's the point of removing the diagram?
Whoever wanted to copy it already did so... But on the other hand it would be helpful for future designs. Luke you will get your proceeds from the selling these drivers one way or another so...

Last edited: