Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Laser Pointer Store

10w Blue Led Flashlight build

badboybilly

So I've always wanted a blue flashlight I had this cheap blue host that I was originally going to use for a laser, I bought a few 10w LEDs on eBay very cheap, I bought one of each colour but blue seemed to be the brightest on my power supply, very bright actually lit up the whole room, I found this great boost driver also on eBay witch is able to boost a 3.7v battery to 9-12v witch is what these LEDs need. Also had a few blue led momentary switches lying around witch I thought would give this host a great look. I wired the switch up to stay lit when the battery is inserted and to go out when depressed witch works nicely. So here are the pics of the build hope someone likes it.

Attachments

badboybilly

The rest of the build.

Attachments

SyKo

Did any of the LED's you purchased have defects?
I know alot of the ebay 10w, 100w etc often have a few deadspots in them.

i have a 12w Green that run on NCR18650GA cells and it draw 10 amp!!! i think your's is nowhere close to it's peak power....

badboybilly

It's as bright as it was on my power supply at 1a 12v and the boost driver was actually for a 30w led, I didn't think I would get full power out of a 30w so I went with the 10w the lens I'm using is from a flashlight acrilic, could have better lens.

true that. i have a bunch of Phatlight PT- series leds( these big boys are found in projector that use in cinema, i have a green that go high as 30w.) i usually use the optic that come with them, as they generate a lot of heat and they melt the acrylic lens. if you need some high end optic just pm me.

badboybilly

true that. i have a bunch of Phatlight PT- series leds( these big boys are found in projector that use in cinema, i have a green that go high as 30w.) i usually use the optic that come with them, as they generate a lot of heat and they melt the acrylic lens. if you need some high end optic just pm me.
Yeah been wanting to get a phatlight from DTR for a while keep putting it off for more diodes.

badboybilly

so what's on your build list next?
I don't really plan stuff ahead, need to give eBay a break every payday, but my 16xS06j led last week I've ordered a new sled so I'll decide what host to put it in when it arrives, maybe a bigger heatsink this time, but I really miss that laser oh also lost a Oclaro 700 last week I transferred the diode to a tiny hugsby flashlight the original driver was putting out 480ma it was buitifull bright enough shouldn't have touched it I thought about it for a few days if 1.5v was putting out 480ma it might be ok with a 3.7v 10440 even if its 1.2a it should be ok, so I did it it was as bright as my 1.2w mitts for a few seconds then it slowly lost power I thought the bat was probably low, put another in and led. How stupid of me. I'll post a pic in a bit.

Attachments

Last edited:

RedCowboy

LPF Site Supporter
My 100 waters work fine, very bright but they make a lot of heat.

Cyparagon

If the driver output is a flat 12V, what are you doing to limit the current to the LEDs?