Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

10mw green laser eye damage?

would a 10mw green laser cause eye damage? i haven't been able to find anything out. i don't know a whole lot about lasers and stuff so i don't know if i should get this laser or not. also i'm in the US would it be illegal for me to get one?

mfo

would a 10mw green laser cause eye damage? i haven't been able to find anything out. i don't know a whole lot about lasers and stuff so i don't know if i should get this laser or not. also i'm in the US would it be illegal for me to get one?

Yes & yes.

Welcome to the forums.

Folder

It won't cause eye damage under normal use. Looking at the dot close up for ages could give you eye damage, and staring directly into it will give you eye damage, but apart from that, no, it won't give you eye damage. And yes, anything over 5mw is illegal in the USA.

mehhhh who cares if it's illegal. It's not like your murdering someone, just don't shine it at faces, vehicles airplanes etc.. use common sense and no one will come knocking.

I understand some people just want to abide by the law no matter what, morals and all that. if this is the case just get a 5mw greenie. it's not too different from a 10mw.

As for eye damage, if your really worried get these (super cheap)
Focalprice.com offers Anti-Green Laser Glasses ,discount Anti-Green Laser Glasses,Anti-Green Laser Glasses products,low price Anti-Green Laser Glasses,cheap Anti-Green Laser Glasses,Anti-Green Laser Glasses for Sale ,Anti-Green Laser Glasses Store,Bu

They are on sale right now too. They wont reflect 100% green light ( I have tested them), but they do a good enough job for 5mw greens.

Good luck and welcome to the hobby.

thanks! how long would the laser have to be in you eye before causing damage? obviously i'm not gonna go shining it in people's eyes but i want to make sure that if i accidentally hit someone in the eye there not going to have eye damage

mfo

thanks! how long would the laser have to be in you eye before causing damage? obviously i'm not gonna go shining it in people's eyes but i want to make sure that if i accidentally hit someone in the eye there not going to have eye damage

Bro, there's no decisive way to tell, there's numerous factors that determine this. All I can tell you is tests have determined that any laser above 5mW can damage the retina before the eye's blink reflex closes the eye lid.

Solution: Keep it out of people's eyes.

maybe i shouldn't be getting a 10mw then. know any quality 5mw? the ones i've had were cheap cheap cheap!

mfo

maybe i shouldn't be getting a 10mw then. know any quality 5mw? the ones i've had were cheap cheap cheap!

I'm not saying don't get 10mW, I'm just saying exercise caution and don't point it at people's faces, or better towards people in general. You seem like you're going to deliberately point these things at people. I really hope that's not the case.

ok i'm not stupid enough to be pointing it at people but there's kids at my house that i'd rather not have them getting into it and, well, blinding each other or something. i probably sound overly cautious and stuff, but i just don't want anything to happen

mfo

ok i'm not stupid enough to be pointing it at people but there's kids at my house that i'd rather not have them getting into it and, well, blinding each other or something. i probably sound overly cautious and stuff, but i just don't want anything to happen

I suggest keeping it locked in a box with the batteries removed to be extra cautious.

i think i'll actually just buy a better quality 5mw cuz i know those are relatively safe, are legal, and are still pretty bright even in the daytime. but thanks for your help!