Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

100mw laser lens problem

hi.
I know this is probably in the wrong section, but anyways, I have a 100mw classic laser that I bought off lazerer a few months ago. for some weeks now, there is a slight problem. when I switch the laser on from a cold start, there is a lot of spatter around the dot, and it has wings and everything, looks pretty stupid.
if I take off the lens cap, so its just bare output, then the problem is still there. there is still massive wings and lots of spattering around the dot, I have tried cleaning it with one of those cloths that you get with your spectacles (glasses) but to no avail. btw, I have tried cleaning the circular lens thingy glued onto the laser assemblY, I dont know what it is, not the focusing lens, but the lens attached to the IR diode the beam splitter?

any help would be much appreciated

thanks

sinner

Cleaning with a wrong cloth is all you need to ruin the lens..
and cleaning again and again with the same cloth is adding insult to injury..

You know photos would be great and it will make a hundred times more sense to identify it with a photo :na: Can't exactly figure out what is the problem, but if you tried some close burning with it, i am afraid the smoke messed it up..

hmm, i did stupidly fill up a bottle with smoke then hold the laser right inside so as to stop the smoke from flowing out, just wanted to see how cool it would look inside a bottle of smoke, but the smoke only came into contact with the outside lens, it couldnt have gone inside. and i cant post photos as i have no camera, and my built in laptop one is rubbish.

however, i did try, and this is what i ended up with, they arent great pics, it sorta helps explain, but it doesnt show the speckles properly

Attachments

• Snapshot_20120520.JPG
    Snapshot_20120520.JPG
    16.2 KB · Views: 204
  • Snapshot_20120520_1.JPG
    Snapshot_20120520_1.JPG
    17.7 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
get some of the old q-tips they used to sell for cleaning tape decks... radio shack probably has them. then use them with some alcohol. wipe then lense and dispose of the q-tip, then repeat. otherwise you will just smudge whatever you are cleaning off all around. had a very similiar issue with a 100mw lazerer module i had. got schmeg on the expansion lense and had to use about 5 q-tips to clean it. i pressed down and twisted them in one direction. got it back to about 90% of what it was. but then i used other stuff before using the q-tip by suggestion.

isnt alchohol bad for lenses? and what type of alchohol, im still young, so i wont be able to buy any from the supermarket. do you mean the 100% alchohol chemical thing?