Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

100mW IR + 250 mW Red for 25 $

My idea was to build a cheap laser...soon i noticed that it would be cheaper if i build two at once... now my plan :

LPC-815 from Modwerx - 9 $
2x Constant Driver from O-like - 5 $ (I only need one)
2x Laserhosts from Dinodirect - 7 $

Small Sun ZY-203 LED Flashlight (2*AA Batteries), Europe - DinoDirect.com
5mw 650nm Open-back Red Laser Pointer Pen (2 x AAA), Europe - DinoDirect.com

Parts i had at home

- Axis Housing
- A few electronic parts

Now i gonna build an IR Laser from this Tutorial
http://laserpointerforums.com/f51/diy-cheap-ir-laser-pen-5-under-63445.html
and a 250 mW Red laser with the other Parts...

>100 mW IR
>250 mW Red

For ~ 25 $ is a good Price

What do you think ?

Last edited:

joeyss

Watch the IR. It's only 100 mw but you won't see it and what you can't see CAN blind you. Make sure you get good goggles for it instead of cheap ones cause you won't be able to tell how good cheap ones work until...they don't and you'll end up with blackspots in your vision.

joeyss

Yea but at only 100mw you might not be able to see it unless it's on a white or reflective surface nearby,which is REALLLY bad.

I have a 127mW 780nm laser using the laser diode out of the LPC-815 sled and i can see the dot on all surfaces.

However you will not see it at longer distances witch is correct because its so faint.

I Just dint want him to be under the impression that it is totally invisible witch its NOT.

joeyss

Kind of scary seeing how powerful my 100-120 mw green is. I dunno if I'll ever get a IR laser for this reason. Maybe when I get money for some really good eyewear and a good high powered IR laser.

If you have a 100mW-120mW Green laser then 99% of the time they are using a 808nm ~500mW IR Diode.

It is Very scary.

I have a >700mW 808nm laser and the dot looks pretty much identical to my 127mW 780nm laser. Just a tab brighter.

rhd

You know what really freaks me out?

I have a 1,000 mW IR portable (808), and a bunch of ~1,000 mW IRs in different wavelengths from 760 to beyond *any* visible trace. Most of these, at least at some set distance, can focus into a tiny dot (or perhaps more correctly, a line that is so small that I can't tell it isn't a dot).

At any rate, what freaks me out, is that these IR dots will slice through things like black tape, garbage bags, etc, faster than any 445nm I own..... yet I can stick my finger in the beam, and nothing. No pain, barely even a sensation of hotness. Eventually there will be a bit of perceived warming if I keep the dot in one place on my skin, and keep it very very steady.

^ That's a huge absorption difference. My white skin feels almost nothing, but black materials just melt away with greater ease than a high powered 445. Very creepy. I wouldn't want to know how this would react with your retina.

Last edited:
Have you noticed when burning with a IR laser that when focused to a pin point and you hit the surface that you are burning say a dark piece of paper that there is Bright white flashes at the burn spot.

I only notice this with IR laser.

Have you noticed that yet.?

joeyss

You know what really freaks me out?

I have a 1,000 mW IR portable (808), and a bunch of ~1,000 mW IRs in different wavelengths from 760 to beyond *any* visible trace. Most of these, at least at some set distance, can focus into a tiny dot (or perhaps more correctly, a line that is so small that I can't tell it isn't a dot).

At any rate, what freaks me out, is that these IR dots will slice through things like black tape, garbage bags, etc, faster than any 445nm I own..... yet I can stick my finger in the beam, and nothing. No pain, barely even a sensation of hotness. Eventually there will be a bit of perceived warming if I keep the dot in one place on my skin, and keep it very very steady.

^ That's a huge absorption difference. My white skin feels almost nothing, but black materials just melt away with greater ease than a high powered 445. Very creepy. I wouldn't want to know how this would react with your retina.

Whoa what the HELL? I guess this proves WLs have effects on things even if they're black. I would think it SHOULD be the opposite seeing as 445 and 405 burn even white stuff easily. The only thing I an think of is some the things like black tape and garbage bags have chemicals them that somehow make them more resistant to UV and near UV from the sun so they don't break down as easily.

Watch the IR. It's only 100 mw but you won't see it and what you can't see CAN blind you. Make sure you get good goggles for it instead of cheap ones cause you won't be able to tell how good cheap ones work until...they don't and you'll end up with blackspots in your vision.

of course ir is dangerous .... i have a safety googles set for this welvelengh ;)

rhd

Whoa what the HELL? I guess this proves WLs have effects on things even if they're black. I would think it SHOULD be the opposite seeing as 445 and 405 burn even white stuff easily. The only thing I an think of is some the things like black tape and garbage bags have chemicals them that somehow make them more resistant to UV and near UV from the sun so they don't break down as easily.

I think you misunderstood which way around I was talking about.

IR - absorbed by black quite well, not by white.
445 - absorbed by white well too
405 - absorbed by white really well too

It's all consistent in my head. Lower wavelengths have better absorption.

It's just a bit freaky to see it in action.

joeyss

Oh wait you only have a 650mw 445? I thought you had like a 1+ watt one that was around the same power of the 808. I've seen what you're talking about with a 50 mw 650 and a 50 mw 405. The 650 can hardly burn anything even stuff that is black while the 405 lights a white match. Also the 405 seems to be able to burn more stuff than my 110 mw green (the green burns quicker though when it burns something.) Heck I hardly feel the green when i focus the dot on my skin.

rhd

Oh wait you only have a 650mw 445? I thought you had like a 1+ watt one that was around the same power of the 808. I've seen what you're talking about with a 50 mw 650 and a 50 mw 405. The 650 can hardly burn anything even stuff that is black while the 405 lights a white match. Also the 405 seems to be able to burn more stuff than my 110 mw green (the green burns quicker though when it burns something.) Heck I hardly feel the green when i focus the dot on my skin.

I have a dozen or so 445s, signature line is just for my favorites ;)