Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

100-250mW laser

Here's the deal. As much as I wish I understood blurry youtube video's of sketchy lasers, they don't give me much help. I.E. They do not show how to hook up to a power source. Anyway, I need your expert help, I am going to build my first laser. Hopefully green, but if blue works better, that's fine too. I need detailed instructions though. How the wires hook up, where they hook up, how to conveniently hook up a power supply, ect. That'd be so great if you could do this for me. Links to diodes and laser drivers that are nice would be appreciated. Thanks!
~B

Go to any main forum and there is a button on right side at top.

Left side.

Last edited:
Don't try making threads yet, For starters. Search more, PM members who have succesfully built lasers, and ask them. It's not necessary to make a thread everytime you think up a question.

I know. I wasn't going to ask any questions yet. I just wanted to know where just incase I decide to post about a green laser build I made it was and i found it, it was on the top left side after clicking on one of the main categories.

You are asking a very vague question.

First I suggest you decide what you want to invest in your project. That would give us the fist idea where to tell you to shop for parts.

Once you find what you want. Read the spec sheet. It will tell you just about everything you need to know about the unit/diode.

Pickup an aixiz module if you are doing any other color than green and a lens coated for the proper wavelength. Depending on your build. The standard acrylic lens may suffice.

Find a proper way to mount your device and cool it.

Then you need to find a driver if your device doesn't have one. If it does then good! Read the spec sheet and it will tell you what you need to power it. You need some sort of current limiting for your driver if you are making one. If you are buying one you will need one that will supply the proper current.

Once everything is mounted and wired up. Give your driver the correct amount of voltage it needs from the batteries (when dealing with different drivers, disposeable cells are junk) and if everything is hooked up right. You should see coherent light.

So you see. JUST asking "how can I power a laser" just isn't enough.

It probably took me 5 minutes to write this. In that 5 mins I'm sure you could have found more than half that information in the stickies.

Also don't forget to pickup a pair of safety glasses for the proper wavelength you will be using. You only have two eyes and blindness in most cases is permanent.

1. Can I get this in green? Sure. Which do you prefer? Search "green module" and you should get the results you want.

2. Is there a quicker way to get a diode rather than disassembling a xbox360 reader?
Sure. Just buy a PHR diode. Don't go harvesting Xbox sled's. Xbox's don't have violet diodes anymore. Only the HD models did. The ps3 sleds are junk too.

I couldn't link you to any PHR diodes. The only place I knew about who had them is closed. EBay should be fine. Just search "PHR diode" or "405 diode"

3. How do you put a power switch on this.

I'm going to assume you are asking how you would turn it on and off? Any on/off switch will work. Even momentary works. If not. Please elaborate.

4. Can I make this more like 250mW?

If you are asking about pot Modding? No. That's very bad. If not, ease elaborate.

5. What is the PCB?

That would be your driver. It limits the amount of current the diode will get.

IsaacT

Cajunlasers sells these diodes. They are the newer PHR-805T's and they output a similar mW/mA. LINK

If you want something around 250mW I would go for the LPC-826's from Cajunlasers. They are open can red diodes that you can run right around 200-300mA if memory serves me. LINK

Hope that helps!!!
Isaac

Thanks a ton for your help! I am understanding this a ton more. Okay, here's my plan.

Buy, this,

https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home/flexdrives/atmadrive-for-405nm

And this, (top left)

https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home/diodes/osram-pltb450-1-4w-450nm

And this,

12x30mm Aixiz Laser Module Housing Blank for 5 6mm LD | eBay

Plan: Cut off the unused pin on the Diode. Put diode in Axiz module. Solder the remaining two pins to the + - side of the Drive. Attach two wires to the other, + -, hook them up to a battery. (My idea with that was, solder them to two small magnets, and then hook both magnets up to the + - side of a battery that way, it's easy to change the battery.) Find a host.

Does that sound like a good plan? Any mess-ups?

IsaacT

I would look for a host kit if I were you. It will be much easier in the end, especially for a first build. DTR is a standup guy, you can't go wrong with his products and the Aixiz Modules are a standard. Take a look in the Laser Pro shop for kits.

Thanks man. Helping a ton. One quick question, with the build I am planning on making, how many mW do you think it'd turn out to be?