Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

10 Watt DPSS 532 nm Pointer, finally got one (38 pound labby).

Have you tested to see if there's any IR in your beam ?

How about looking at your 10W 532 beam next to a 1W 520nm in a dark room with light fog/smoke........you can burn a litle cardboard and mix a very light amount of smoke with room air to show the beam well, I'm curious how much brighter 10w is compared to 1W ..........supposedly twice the power is half again as bright so 4W should look twice as bright as 1W and 10W should " look " somewhere on the order of 2.5 - 3 times as bright, what is your opinion ?

Last edited:
I was just thinking of doing that same test yesterday, comparing a 1.2 watt DPSS I have with this 10 watt unit to show the difference. Just goes to prove, great minds think alike.

jnrpop

Highest 532nm DPSS review goes too ... Alaskan. Very nice unit! congratulations.

Edit: You would be very impressed with the output from my 473nm 250mw unit, D-Diodes somehow dont compare to the output of a nice DPSS system.

I'd love to have that 473 nm if you can find a way to get it to me with the postal situation going on right now.

Here's a video I took yesterday (my yesterday in Qatar) showing a 1.10 watt DPSS beam next to the 10 watt DPSS beam at different power levels as well as comparing the power density to burn through plastic for each beam. Even though the big laser was set to twice the output power at 2.25 watts, the 1.10 watt laser with its much smaller diameter beam would burn just as deep, just as quickly.

Robert, I didn't use smoke to make the beams appear, I moved to the end and took the video looking back at the source I could see both beams at the lower power output settings, so didn't need smoke.

That's a good looking 10W unit and both beams appear to be of a nice low divergence, that's the way a laser beam should look. :)

The 10W has about 1.5 mRad, not too bad. I don't know what the 1 watt unit produces

Last edited:
Have you set a lens in front of it yet to get a tight waist, it should cut popcycle sticks.......when I focus my multi beam arrays and burn wood it instantly produces the most awesome jet of flame like a blow torch, must be the expanding gases.

I built some screw adjustable mounts so I can paint a dot on tree trunks on the creek bank across a wide wash through the woods about 400-600 yards away ( winter months and when the foliage is absent ) and I set up my spotting scope to zoom in on it, dusk and early morning is a good time when there's enough daylight to use my scope but the spot still shows up well, it's very interesting what looks like a tiny round spot that's just visible to our naked eyes when you zoom in on it from a distance....anyway the beam quality is something dpss can deliver @ multi watt levels that visible direct diodes can't easily match yet, I do enjoy my low power 520, 505, 488 diodes with a G8 and beam expander, actually the G3 works well too but dpss is hard to beat. I would like to have a nice quality multi watt dpss to experiment with at distance, one with a true TEM00 Gaussian beam........how far have you ever transmitted data on a visible laser beam ?

I never got the digital laser network going, took another job and that ended, boxed away. Analog though, a few hundred feet, but unless carrier shift modulated using BPSK with two audio frequencies, as I used while in the military for teletype 45 years ago which could transmit data using analog tones, I never had my circuitry developed to do digital.

The ten watt DPSS is near TEM00, it has an oval shaped beam output and not completely clean either, but it's as close as I can get, or rather, will allow myself to afford and it was on sale. I'd love to have a 589 nm DPSS next, but for the amount of power, wow, those are expensive.

I always like to see photographs of what you are doing whether beamshots from your side window into your burn pit or in the basement, so please keep them coming.

I'd like to do some night beam shots, but cannot do so in the middle of the city in an apartment complex. If I find I can legally use it out in the desert, I suppose I could rent a generator and go try it. But even then, I wouldn't keep a beam up for very long, I don't want to invite anyone to come find out who is doing that.

Last edited:
Brighter beams are always good but I really love the look of multiple beams, I started a multiple beams thread here and I will add to it later.......also I am planning to do some knife edge arrays.

Last edited:
I saw that thread earlier, enjoyed it. I must not have indicated I stepped in to look around yet.

Encap

Good thread, great lasers --you are lucky you are able to have them.

Very much enjoy the videos you did ---the comparison video is nice to see -gives anyone looking in a basis upon which to begin to understand the difference.

Yes, some night beam shot woujld be great when you have a chance and a place to do them without risk. (y)

Very nice. How's that thing look out in sunlight? I'd also like to see the internals...

I can't begin to imagine what this thing cost... coming from someone with a 200mW 607 and a 200mW 589.