Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

1 watt IR to-3 diode laser burning chair at 7ft!

disma

This is my first attempt to post a vid. This is my one watt laser I built from an ebay to3 diode.  The laser is about 7 feet from the chair, and there is no other smoke in the room than what is bieng generated from the chair. The lens is from an old toy telescope. :cool:

Max

Attachments

• ir_808nm_burns_chair.avi
    1.1 MB · Views: 93

T

timelord

Re: 1 watt IR to-3 diode laser burning chair at 7f

Nice mate that looks a beast too :D

Gazoo

OMG...I am sure I was looking at that same auction...but I have a fear of infrared. What a burner you have there..nice..thanks for sharing it.

disma

It is a beast too! I thought you all would like it. It is the $45.00 to-3 case diode, I wanted to get the 2 watt, but didnt have the money. :-[ I have some more vids of it burning black e-tape in a jar of water! :cool:

Max

Things

nice!! man you can even se th beam!!! that is one powerful laser!!! IR scares me too sometimes, but it is cool in the fact you can burn things, and no one cann se the dot!lol

disma

You can see this one quite well, its about as bright as a 1mw red. I have a 17 watt diode I havnt come up with a power supply for yet. I cant wait to see what it can do! ;)

Max

For some reason I can't see the video, and I really want to!

Man that is sweet. it BURNS!!!

That is pretty nice. Most video cameras capture near infra red quite well but as you can see the camera has to assign a color to the light for us to see which is almost always a purple. IR laser are nice but you must have a bit of extra diligence when working around them. If you can see the output of an 808nm diode (quite a few can see a deep red) that is just a fraction of the energy your eye is receiving because most of the energy is at IR wavelengths. Keep that in mind. Get a good set of goggles. Unlike the visible DPSS systems you are getting a much higher energy output watt for watt than with harmonic systems since the efficiency falls off which each wavelength alteration. Yes the energy of UV is higher than the energy of IR all else equal but the losses in the system produce output much lower than the equivalent pump diode.

disma

I  dont look at the spot, unless Im looking though a camera... This camera is VL filtered, I used one of those CVS cams, and removed the ir filter, and replaced it with a filter from a tv remote, so I could see the ir through the camera better. I block other light from getting around the display,  It works very well to see the laser.

You need divx installed to see this video.

And yes, this laser is quite scary.

Max

Nice vid, I am surprised on how well you managed to focus that beast, that is quite a narrow beam for an IR.

Good stuff.

Jase

Great video! :) I hope you had goggles on or weren't looking directly at that thing. What are you using to power it?

Gazoo

disma said:
It is a beast too! I thought you all would like it. It is the $45.00 to-3 case diode, I wanted to get the 2 watt, but didnt have the money. :-[ I have some more vids of it burning black e-tape in a jar of water! :cool:

Max

I see the 2 watt one listed..but it is kinda expensive.. :(

Benm

Tallaxo said:
Nice vid, I am surprised on how well you managed to focus that beast, that is quite a narrow beam for an IR.

Me too... how did you go about focussing that beam? Can you see it well enough with the naked eye to do so, or do you need to work while looking through a camera or something?

disma

It took quite a while to get it that focused, I tried a bunch of diff lenses... I am useing 6 x 2000mah cells to power it, they all add up to about 8.4v, with 6 ohms resistance... the diode needs 1.4 amp max, so this gives a little margin in there. measured current is 1.26 amps. I dont have a power meter to check its output. I have noticed on others circuits the use of a cap on the diode to limit surges, I didnt want a cap right on the diode because it seems like a good way to kill it if the diodes resistance changes, so i put a 1000uf cap before the resistor and after the switch. its been going strong for about 2 months.

Max

disma

I focused it with a wireless ip camera plugged in and a few inches from the target, I aimed the laser AWAY from me, and behind me toward the cameras fov. I adjusted the lens on the laser while watching the screen to get the tightest beam... this is the only way I could focus it without looking at any light from the laser. I would never look at the output to do this! :eek: The distance between the target and laser was about 30 ft wich is enough to get a prety collimated output..

Max