Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

1.25 Kilojoule DIY Coilgun

DTR

Anybody see this thing?

I think I found my next project:eg:

Watch This 1.25 Kilojoule DIY Coilgun Smash Various Household Items

500x_img_0417.jpg

This has been on my project list for a while. I already have the flyback, and a couple of caps. Still have a ways to go though.

ped

Yup whilst building my Tesla's, i threw together a mini coil gun, thier suprisingly simple, but boy do they make a bang when you close the contacts on those caps!

DTR

It kind of reminds me of the BFG from Doom.:eg:

Man that thing is gnarly! Looks pretty complex to build though...

Yeah making all that compact and portable is very impressive. But electrically it's pretty simple. For 1.25kj the velocity wasn't spectacular. But I suppose thats as good as it gets with a single coil. The multistage coil guns are much more efficient at transferring the magnetic energy into the projectile's kinetic energy. They start to rival real firearms at that point.

I like the ZVS charging circuit. Those circuits are very efficient. I've built one of those before, although mine is much more that 400v, more like 20kv, but at a lower current.

-Tony

Years ago, I tried to make a rail gun to shoot a BB. Didn't work at all. This coil gun is interesting.
Is that "bullet" a magnet itself? Where's the plans?

When the field collapses, where does that energy go? Is there a damping diode to protect the SCR?

HMike

Last edited:
Yours going to be about the same power as this one?

Like most of my projects, I'll build it to the point my funds allow. The reason why is that I'm disabled from a work accident. So I only have so much play money a month. So every month I gather parts I can afford. Mostly fleemarket stuff. Right now I'm on the hunt for a 15kV 60mA transformer for my Jacobs Ladder. Finding one for under $75 shipped is another story.

alexjt

Now if only I could find a source for that very hard to find 5mw laser pointer...:yabbmad:

DTR

Like most of my projects, I'll build it to the point my funds allow. The reason why is that I'm disabled from a work accident. So I only have so much play money a month. So every month I gather parts I can afford. Mostly fleemarket stuff. Right now I'm on the hunt for a 15kV 60mA transformer for my Jacobs Ladder. Finding one for under $75 shipped is another story.

What is a Jacobs Ladder?

Is this it?

Jacob's Ladder Total Body Exerciser - Jacob's Ladder - Allegro Medical Supplies

:D

You know what a coil gun is but not a Jacobs Ladder? :thinking:

Edit: Funny guy. I just saw the :)D)

Last edited: