Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

0.0 First time, overwhelmed, need help choosing key chain sized laser

Wow this is a very big place, I had no idea the hobby of laser pointers had such a large community around it.

I read the first time sticky, Saw a laser pointer in person and it was mesmerizing.

I am in Canada, I know absolutely nothing about laser pointers, could you please recommend me some quality Key chain sized small green laser pointers? I don't mind paying extra for a higher quality item. I also read sometimes certain high output ones can get confiscated at customs, I would like to avoid that when I order one...

I'm not hardcore or anything, I'd just like to be able to see the beam, maybe light a match? Hopefully the smaller ones have achieved that kind of power now.

I can't wait to get started. It is a pleasure to be here and meet you all, thank you.

Last edited:

Sta

The best option is always to buy from a forum member. They are the most trustworthy people around. Ehgemus is one of the best, I can't name one person who has bought from him and been unsatisfied.

LaserGlow has some good pen-host <5mW 532nm lasers. They aren't too cheap ($40-$70) but they are some of the highest quality pointers you can buy.

The cheapest one, the Anser(I own one myself) has a visible beam at nighttime, and if you know where to look has one also during the day but it's going to be much harder to see!
Laserglow Technologies

PS: You won't be lighting a match with the Anser :D

-Alex

Sta

LaserGlow has some good pen-host <5mW 532nm lasers. They aren't too cheap ($40-$70) but they are some of the highest quality pointers you can buy.

The cheapest one, the Anser(I own one myself) has a visible beam at nighttime, and if you know where to look has one also during the day but it's going to be much harder to see!
Laserglow Technologies

PS: You won't be lighting a match with the Anser :D

-Alex
I find LaserGlow to be quite a waste, honestly. They do claim to sell high quality lasers but they are quite overpriced. I bought the red 5mW a few years ago, I think it was the Taurus, it broke quite quickly. Quite a shame for such high priced lasers.

Yeah, I wouldn't bother with Laserglow either. All they do is rebag CNI lasers, and while CNI lasers are good quality, Laserglow charges ridiculous amounts for even the smallest difference in output power. Take the "oh but they're always overspec" replies with a grain of salt too: unless just broken, CNI lasers are always overspec, and Laserglow tests the power mostly to bin the lasers or ensure that they can be sold across borders (<5mW).

Regardless, they're overpriced. If you want to see the "real" prices for CNI lasers, look at the group buys in the Group Buy subforum ($450 vs $250 for a GLP-473 "Aquarius" = 80% markup).

As for getting into the hobby itself:

Since you're new here, you may not be trusted by sellers, and also selling some high-powered lasers to someone that doesn't know much about lasers and laser safety is irresponsible. Given the laser laws these days, shipping a working laser to Canada may not be a good idea too; you may need to buy a kit and build something yourself.

I'd first suggest buying some laser goggles (look at FrothyChimp's goggle sales in the Buy Sell Trade section for some very high quality ARG goggles). Your eyes are priceless, and you can lose your eyesight if you get hit by a laser beam.

After you have goggles, I would see about trying to build a laser yourself from kit-parts. They're not very expensive, and you'll learn a lot. Beware that this is an expensive hobby. If the cost of even the safety goggles is too much for you (~$85), you should consider whether you want to invest yourself in lasers.

Better to buy a small pen instead and try out not everyone can or wants build their own lasers. If you want a visible beam then like 50mW should be enough, it wont maybe light a match but its up to you what you want do.

LP 515nm 532nm 1-150

Last edited:
Better to buy a small pen instead and try out not everyone can or wants build their own lasers. If you want a visible beam then like 50mW should be enough, it wont maybe light a match but its up to you what you want do.

LP 515nm 532nm 1-150

^laserbtb has some pretty good quality lasers, and the prices are some of the best out there! Might be something worth checking out :)

-Alex

Tha Greenlander yes compared to most other junk i would say they are hard to beat,, when will you get one ;)

LP 515nm 532nm 1-150

Yea I do agree, the diode itself is nice in the LP models.
But it is built into a plastic host which tends to break if you are not careful
(according to some previous reviews on the LP series).

But they ain't too much of a pain in the wallet so I guess it would still be a decent buy.

I don't own any like you do so I can't say anything from previous experience :p

Good quality keychain lasers are hard to
find. Solid brass ones used to be made
years ago, but those were 1mW @ 660nm.
Anything powerful enough to burn is
powerful enough to get confiscated at
customs. To get green out of a keychain
would be no small feat. It would require
direct diode since a DPSS module itself is
already about the size of a keychain. That
would require either a boost driver or one
of those 12V garage door opener/camera
cells. There is the 5mW instapark module
which you might only just see the beam in
dark conditions. Don't expect to do any
burning with that, though.

Thanks these look great! Just to clarify, it doesn't necessarily have to be small keychain sized, just nothing too cumbersome and still able to clip onto a keyring. I can settle for a pen size. Does anyone know the maximum strength the beam can be before it would get confiscated by Canadian customs? I want to try get as close as I can =]. I'm a responsible person, I wont be causing any damage and I'll be as careful as I can.

Last edited:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it
looks like they can confiscate any fully
assembled handheld of class 3B or above,
which means >499mW. So anything up to
499mW and you should be fine.

Lightning Stalker,

Class 3b is anything from 5mW to 500mW. Class 4 is 500mW or greater.

If the Canadian authorities are confiscating 3b lasers or higher, they're confiscating anything that is not considered a real laser pointer, not a laser module. Laser pointers are Class 3a (3r), < 5mW, or less. That makes them generally "blink reflex safe" or at least recoverable, but still dangerous to the eyes. It's not as restrictive as Australia's laws that require Class 2 (< 1mW) or less.

Reiign

This is badged as a 1mw laser on ebay but as you can see its clearly not lol

2331ia.jpg