Old 08-31-2014, 10:15 PM #17
Class 2 Laser
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 363
Rep Power: 21461
swamidog has a reputation beyond reputeswamidog has a reputation beyond reputeswamidog has a reputation beyond reputeswamidog has a reputation beyond reputeswamidog has a reputation beyond reputeswamidog has a reputation beyond reputeswamidog has a reputation beyond reputeswamidog has a reputation beyond reputeswamidog has a reputation beyond reputeswamidog has a reputation beyond reputeswamidog has a reputation beyond repute
swamidog swamidog is offline
Class 2 Laser
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 363
Rep Power: 21461
swamidog has a reputation beyond reputeswamidog has a reputation beyond reputeswamidog has a reputation beyond reputeswamidog has a reputation beyond reputeswamidog has a reputation beyond reputeswamidog has a reputation beyond reputeswamidog has a reputation beyond reputeswamidog has a reputation beyond reputeswamidog has a reputation beyond reputeswamidog has a reputation beyond reputeswamidog has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fun-Fact thread

fun fact:

my inner child is an alien embryo.


swamidog is offline   Reply With Quote


















Old 08-31-2014, 10:28 PM #18
FireMyLaser's Avatar
Class 3B Laser
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sweden
Posts: 3,059
Rep Power: 6581
FireMyLaser has a reputation beyond reputeFireMyLaser has a reputation beyond reputeFireMyLaser has a reputation beyond reputeFireMyLaser has a reputation beyond reputeFireMyLaser has a reputation beyond reputeFireMyLaser has a reputation beyond reputeFireMyLaser has a reputation beyond reputeFireMyLaser has a reputation beyond reputeFireMyLaser has a reputation beyond reputeFireMyLaser has a reputation beyond reputeFireMyLaser has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to FireMyLaser
FireMyLaser FireMyLaser is offline
Class 3B Laser
FireMyLaser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sweden
Posts: 3,059
Rep Power: 6581
FireMyLaser has a reputation beyond reputeFireMyLaser has a reputation beyond reputeFireMyLaser has a reputation beyond reputeFireMyLaser has a reputation beyond reputeFireMyLaser has a reputation beyond reputeFireMyLaser has a reputation beyond reputeFireMyLaser has a reputation beyond reputeFireMyLaser has a reputation beyond reputeFireMyLaser has a reputation beyond reputeFireMyLaser has a reputation beyond reputeFireMyLaser has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to FireMyLaser
Default Re: Fun-Fact thread

Fun-fact: Blu-ray lasers are not actually blue - they are violet.

Fun-fact: Female kangaroos have three vaginas.

Fun-fact: Women love diamonds for the wide range of industrial applications.
__________________
Niko likes cereal.
FireMyLaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:45 PM #19
InfinitusEquitas's Avatar
Class 4 Laser
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: 20 Minutes from NYC.
Posts: 16,019
Rep Power: 63339
InfinitusEquitas has a reputation beyond reputeInfinitusEquitas has a reputation beyond reputeInfinitusEquitas has a reputation beyond reputeInfinitusEquitas has a reputation beyond reputeInfinitusEquitas has a reputation beyond reputeInfinitusEquitas has a reputation beyond reputeInfinitusEquitas has a reputation beyond reputeInfinitusEquitas has a reputation beyond reputeInfinitusEquitas has a reputation beyond reputeInfinitusEquitas has a reputation beyond reputeInfinitusEquitas has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to InfinitusEquitas Send a message via MSN to InfinitusEquitas Send a message via Yahoo to InfinitusEquitas
InfinitusEquitas InfinitusEquitas is offline
Class 4 Laser
InfinitusEquitas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: 20 Minutes from NYC.
Posts: 16,019
Rep Power: 63339
InfinitusEquitas has a reputation beyond reputeInfinitusEquitas has a reputation beyond reputeInfinitusEquitas has a reputation beyond reputeInfinitusEquitas has a reputation beyond reputeInfinitusEquitas has a reputation beyond reputeInfinitusEquitas has a reputation beyond reputeInfinitusEquitas has a reputation beyond reputeInfinitusEquitas has a reputation beyond reputeInfinitusEquitas has a reputation beyond reputeInfinitusEquitas has a reputation beyond reputeInfinitusEquitas has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to InfinitusEquitas Send a message via MSN to InfinitusEquitas Send a message via Yahoo to InfinitusEquitas
Default Re: Fun-Fact thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireMyLaser View Post
Fun-fact: Women love diamonds for the wide range of industrial applications.


Fin fact: Population smaller than that of New York City.
InfinitusEquitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:29 PM #20
bloompyle's Avatar
Gas Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Nebraska, US
Posts: 4,179
Rep Power: 22423
bloompyle has a reputation beyond reputebloompyle has a reputation beyond reputebloompyle has a reputation beyond reputebloompyle has a reputation beyond reputebloompyle has a reputation beyond reputebloompyle has a reputation beyond reputebloompyle has a reputation beyond reputebloompyle has a reputation beyond reputebloompyle has a reputation beyond reputebloompyle has a reputation beyond reputebloompyle has a reputation beyond repute
bloompyle bloompyle is offline
Gas Guru
bloompyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Nebraska, US
Posts: 4,179
Rep Power: 22423
bloompyle has a reputation beyond reputebloompyle has a reputation beyond reputebloompyle has a reputation beyond reputebloompyle has a reputation beyond reputebloompyle has a reputation beyond reputebloompyle has a reputation beyond reputebloompyle has a reputation beyond reputebloompyle has a reputation beyond reputebloompyle has a reputation beyond reputebloompyle has a reputation beyond reputebloompyle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fun-Fact thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinitusEquitas View Post
Fun Fact: Previous fun fact accounted for inflation.



Fun Fact: Sumo wrestlers often take naps after meals to aid in gaining weight.
Fun Fact: In the previous fun fact's contained gif, all the red shirts pulsed due to wicked cool science reasons.

Fun fact: Fluid temp has no effect on rate of hydration. According to baby science.
__________________
"These things we do.
That others may live."

405nm 500mW
442nm 15mW Melles Griot HeCd
445nm 1W
455nm 100mW LaserBTB
457nm Tunable OMNI 532
465nm Tunable OMNI 532
467nm 1.8W NDB7675
472nm Tunable Omni 532
473nm 2x 100mW Melles Griot lab heads w/ PSUs
476nm Tunable OMNI 532
488nm Single line 35mW
496nm Tunable OMNI 532
502nm Tunable OMNI 532
514nm Tunable OMNI 532
520nm 40mW MSV2
532nm Various pointers
543nm GreeNe 2mW
568nm ~20mW ArKr whitelight line
589nm 126mW PGL-III-C
594nm Rigel-6; 4.75mW + <1mW
604nm 2x <1mW multiline
609nm Ne Penning mixture Ar line from REO 612nm
612nm HeNe 1mW ML 4 line; Raman 6 line
629nm <1mW Raman 6 line
633nm 1-4mw red HeNe
635nm Raman 6 line
638nm 20mW single mode
640nm Raman 6 line
647nm ~10mW ArKr whitelight Kr line
650nm Raman 6 line
658nm LPC-826
685nm 20mW
808nm Modded NewWish pen


HeNe/gas reference thread
bloompyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 01:51 AM #21
zyxwv99's Avatar
Class 1M Laser
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: California
Posts: 178
Rep Power: 34
zyxwv99 has a reputation beyond reputezyxwv99 has a reputation beyond reputezyxwv99 has a reputation beyond reputezyxwv99 has a reputation beyond reputezyxwv99 has a reputation beyond reputezyxwv99 has a reputation beyond reputezyxwv99 has a reputation beyond reputezyxwv99 has a reputation beyond reputezyxwv99 has a reputation beyond reputezyxwv99 has a reputation beyond reputezyxwv99 has a reputation beyond repute
zyxwv99 zyxwv99 is offline
Class 1M Laser
zyxwv99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: California
Posts: 178
Rep Power: 34
zyxwv99 has a reputation beyond reputezyxwv99 has a reputation beyond reputezyxwv99 has a reputation beyond reputezyxwv99 has a reputation beyond reputezyxwv99 has a reputation beyond reputezyxwv99 has a reputation beyond reputezyxwv99 has a reputation beyond reputezyxwv99 has a reputation beyond reputezyxwv99 has a reputation beyond reputezyxwv99 has a reputation beyond reputezyxwv99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fun-Fact thread

When people go in for eye cancer treatment, they sometimes get something called "linac photon treatment." It's a linear accelerator that makes a beam of electrons, which slams into a block of tungsten. That produces gamma rays through bremsstrahlung. In medicine the term "gamma ray" is reserved for photons that come from the nuclear decay, while anything produced by machine is called x-rays. However, these photons are so energetic (4-25 MeV) that they just call them "high-energy photons." The most energetic photons that come out of a nuclear explosion are only 10 MeV, so 25 MeV is basically astronomy-grade.

The beams are pulsed, megawatts if you just measure the pulses, kilowatts if you average it out over a second. People who get these treatments see flashes of light, 90% of the time blue, 10% of the time white. The blue flashes are Cerenkov radiation generated in or near the retina while the white flashes are direct stimulation of the rods or cones.
__________________
405 nm 5 mW
405 nm 100 mW focusing
532 nm 50 mW
650 nm 5 mW
808 nm 300 mW
980 / 490 nm 5 mW
Flashlights
365 nm 1 W UV Tank007 TK-566
940 nm 5 W Infrared Ultrafire 501B

http://lightcolorvision.wordpress.com/
zyxwv99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 02:27 AM #22
Pi R Squared's Avatar
Class 3B Laser
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Snohomish County Washington, US
Posts: 3,798
Rep Power: 102502
Pi R Squared has a reputation beyond reputePi R Squared has a reputation beyond reputePi R Squared has a reputation beyond reputePi R Squared has a reputation beyond reputePi R Squared has a reputation beyond reputePi R Squared has a reputation beyond reputePi R Squared has a reputation beyond reputePi R Squared has a reputation beyond reputePi R Squared has a reputation beyond reputePi R Squared has a reputation beyond reputePi R Squared has a reputation beyond repute
Pi R Squared Pi R Squared is offline
Class 3B Laser
Pi R Squared's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Snohomish County Washington, US
Posts: 3,798
Rep Power: 102502
Pi R Squared has a reputation beyond reputePi R Squared has a reputation beyond reputePi R Squared has a reputation beyond reputePi R Squared has a reputation beyond reputePi R Squared has a reputation beyond reputePi R Squared has a reputation beyond reputePi R Squared has a reputation beyond reputePi R Squared has a reputation beyond reputePi R Squared has a reputation beyond reputePi R Squared has a reputation beyond reputePi R Squared has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fun-Fact thread

Fun fact:

The state of Washington is the only state to be named after a United States president.

George is a city in Grant County, Washington, United States. The population was 501 at the 2010 census. It takes its name from George Washington, and is the only town in the United States to bear the full name of a US President.

Alan
__________________
Keychain 650nm <5mW
Quartet 4-in-1 630-680nm <1mW

AtlasNova 635nm <5mW
MillionAccessories 532nm <5mW broken
M462 462nm one of a kind (in progress)
PLTB450B 450nm 1913mW G2 lens
PL520 520nm 82mW acrylic lens
S06J 12X 405nm 590mW G2 lens
C6 M140 445nm 1.5W 3 element lens
9mm 445nm with G2 lens in a stainless steel host
Radiant Electronics X4 3.7W Laser Power Meter


Everyone please post here: Countries of LPF. Where are you? <link>
___________________________________________
The light that shines twice as bright burns half as long.
Pi R Squared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 03:57 AM #23
Cyparagon's Avatar
Class 4 Laser
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 9,293
Rep Power: 211757
Cyparagon has a reputation beyond reputeCyparagon has a reputation beyond reputeCyparagon has a reputation beyond reputeCyparagon has a reputation beyond reputeCyparagon has a reputation beyond reputeCyparagon has a reputation beyond reputeCyparagon has a reputation beyond reputeCyparagon has a reputation beyond reputeCyparagon has a reputation beyond reputeCyparagon has a reputation beyond reputeCyparagon has a reputation beyond repute
Cyparagon Cyparagon is offline
Class 4 Laser
Cyparagon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 9,293
Rep Power: 211757
Cyparagon has a reputation beyond reputeCyparagon has a reputation beyond reputeCyparagon has a reputation beyond reputeCyparagon has a reputation beyond reputeCyparagon has a reputation beyond reputeCyparagon has a reputation beyond reputeCyparagon has a reputation beyond reputeCyparagon has a reputation beyond reputeCyparagon has a reputation beyond reputeCyparagon has a reputation beyond reputeCyparagon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fun-Fact thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinitusEquitas View Post
Fun Fact: Previous fun fact accounted for inflation.
You've been watching faux news too much if you think taxes are the sole (or even the main) contributor of inflation.

All else equal, US revenue increases because GDP increases. Tax rates are currently at low values, historically.
__________________
A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Last edited by Cyparagon; 09-01-2014 at 03:58 AM. Reason: forgot mah pun
Cyparagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:16 AM #24
InfinitusEquitas's Avatar
Class 4 Laser
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: 20 Minutes from NYC.
Posts: 16,019
Rep Power: 63339
InfinitusEquitas has a reputation beyond reputeInfinitusEquitas has a reputation beyond reputeInfinitusEquitas has a reputation beyond reputeInfinitusEquitas has a reputation beyond reputeInfinitusEquitas has a reputation beyond reputeInfinitusEquitas has a reputation beyond reputeInfinitusEquitas has a reputation beyond reputeInfinitusEquitas has a reputation beyond reputeInfinitusEquitas has a reputation beyond reputeInfinitusEquitas has a reputation beyond reputeInfinitusEquitas has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to InfinitusEquitas Send a message via MSN to InfinitusEquitas Send a message via Yahoo to InfinitusEquitas
InfinitusEquitas InfinitusEquitas is offline
Class 4 Laser
InfinitusEquitas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: 20 Minutes from NYC.
Posts: 16,019
Rep Power: 63339
InfinitusEquitas has a reputation beyond reputeInfinitusEquitas has a reputation beyond reputeInfinitusEquitas has a reputation beyond reputeInfinitusEquitas has a reputation beyond reputeInfinitusEquitas has a reputation beyond reputeInfinitusEquitas has a reputation beyond reputeInfinitusEquitas has a reputation beyond reputeInfinitusEquitas has a reputation beyond reputeInfinitusEquitas has a reputation beyond reputeInfinitusEquitas has a reputation beyond reputeInfinitusEquitas has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to InfinitusEquitas Send a message via MSN to InfinitusEquitas Send a message via Yahoo to InfinitusEquitas
Default Re: Fun-Fact thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyparagon View Post
You've been watching faux news too much if you think taxes are the sole (or even the main) contributor of inflation.
Of course not.

Fun Fact: Best to rely on facts to prove your point, and not crappy puns.

Fun Fact 2: The words spoken by the character Groot, in the Guardians of the Galaxy film, were recorded by the voice actor in multiple languages.
InfinitusEquitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:18 AM #25
Sigurthr's Avatar
Class 3B Laser
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Michigan's U.P.
Posts: 4,382
Rep Power: 3121
Sigurthr has a reputation beyond reputeSigurthr has a reputation beyond reputeSigurthr has a reputation beyond reputeSigurthr has a reputation beyond reputeSigurthr has a reputation beyond reputeSigurthr has a reputation beyond reputeSigurthr has a reputation beyond reputeSigurthr has a reputation beyond reputeSigurthr has a reputation beyond reputeSigurthr has a reputation beyond reputeSigurthr has a reputation beyond repute
Sigurthr Sigurthr is offline
Class 3B Laser
Sigurthr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Michigan's U.P.
Posts: 4,382
Rep Power: 3121
Sigurthr has a reputation beyond reputeSigurthr has a reputation beyond reputeSigurthr has a reputation beyond reputeSigurthr has a reputation beyond reputeSigurthr has a reputation beyond reputeSigurthr has a reputation beyond reputeSigurthr has a reputation beyond reputeSigurthr has a reputation beyond reputeSigurthr has a reputation beyond reputeSigurthr has a reputation beyond reputeSigurthr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fun-Fact thread

Most microwave ovens do not actually have a variable power level, they simply cycle on and off power to the Magnetron tube at a very low frequency using a relay. Typical oscillation cycles are 6 seconds long. At 50% power the magnetron is switched on for six seconds, and then off for six seconds. The result is that low power settings and short cook times are inaccurate. Setting the oven on for 12sec at half power is the same as 6sec at full power. Microwaves featuring "inverter" technology actually use a PWM function on the high frequency drive to achieve near linear output power variability.

Related: contrary to popular belief, microwaves do not actually cook from the inside towards the outside of the food. Microwaves cook identically to any other electromagnetic energy deposition system (infrared heating, i.e. next to a flame or in a broiler); from the outside in, relying on conduction of heat from the outer layers to the internal layers. The drying effect microwaves have on food is directly related to how much slower heat is transferred towards the center of the food than heat is being deposited into the outer layers. The idea temperature is exceeded externally while not being achieved internally. The solution is to use a longer cook time at an (actually) lower power level, to give conduction more time to work.
__________________
Amateur Multispectral Photographer - [X-Ray, UV, Vis, IR]
Amateur Electrical Engineer
Autodidact
Tesla Coil Expert
Sigurthr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:18 AM #26
Dr_Evil's Avatar
Class 3R Laser
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hartselle, AL
Posts: 2,308
Rep Power: 24443
Dr_Evil has a reputation beyond reputeDr_Evil has a reputation beyond reputeDr_Evil has a reputation beyond reputeDr_Evil has a reputation beyond reputeDr_Evil has a reputation beyond reputeDr_Evil has a reputation beyond reputeDr_Evil has a reputation beyond reputeDr_Evil has a reputation beyond reputeDr_Evil has a reputation beyond reputeDr_Evil has a reputation beyond reputeDr_Evil has a reputation beyond repute
Dr_Evil Dr_Evil is offline
Class 3R Laser
Dr_Evil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hartselle, AL
Posts: 2,308
Rep Power: 24443
Dr_Evil has a reputation beyond reputeDr_Evil has a reputation beyond reputeDr_Evil has a reputation beyond reputeDr_Evil has a reputation beyond reputeDr_Evil has a reputation beyond reputeDr_Evil has a reputation beyond reputeDr_Evil has a reputation beyond reputeDr_Evil has a reputation beyond reputeDr_Evil has a reputation beyond reputeDr_Evil has a reputation beyond reputeDr_Evil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fun-Fact thread

^ I figured that was obvious since you can hear it turning on and off.

Fun fact: The laser mouse not working on a diffraction grating is not 100% true. Mine works on one.
__________________
645 to 660 - Z-bolt BTP-8E, jayrob C6 w/LOC
638 - JayRob C6 w/ML520G54
635 - Z-bolt BTE-4S
632.8 - 10mW HeNe
589 - PGL-III-C 80mW(100+ peak/average)
543 - GreeNe
532 - Optotronics RPL-260, Optotronics Pen ~20mW
520 - JayRob C6
514 - Argon SL
488 - Novalux
473 - Lasever LSR473HD-80 - 107mW peak
450 - JayRob C6 w/PL450B
445 - JayRob C6
405 - Old Leadlight that Drlava transformed (33mW), 12x in a JayRob C6 host
Multi - 2214-25MLUP ArIon
Dr_Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 03:47 PM #27
millirad's Avatar
Class 3B Laser
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: No. California
Posts: 2,576
Rep Power: 5449
millirad has a reputation beyond reputemillirad has a reputation beyond reputemillirad has a reputation beyond reputemillirad has a reputation beyond reputemillirad has a reputation beyond reputemillirad has a reputation beyond reputemillirad has a reputation beyond reputemillirad has a reputation beyond reputemillirad has a reputation beyond reputemillirad has a reputation beyond reputemillirad has a reputation beyond repute
millirad millirad is offline
Class 3B Laser
millirad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: No. California
Posts: 2,576
Rep Power: 5449
millirad has a reputation beyond reputemillirad has a reputation beyond reputemillirad has a reputation beyond reputemillirad has a reputation beyond reputemillirad has a reputation beyond reputemillirad has a reputation beyond reputemillirad has a reputation beyond reputemillirad has a reputation beyond reputemillirad has a reputation beyond reputemillirad has a reputation beyond reputemillirad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fun-Fact thread

Glass takes one million years to decompose,
which means it never wears out and can be
recycled an infinite amount of times!


The roar that we hear when we place a seashell next to our ear is not the ocean, but rather the sound of blood surging through the veins in the ear.

Nine out of every 10 living things live in the ocean.

The Swine Flu vaccine in 1976 caused more death and illness than the disease it was intended to prevent.

The military salute is a motion that evolved from medieval times, when knights in armor raised their visors to reveal their identity.

When a person dies, hearing is the last sense to go.
The first sense lost is sight.

Due to earth's gravity it is impossible for mountains to be higher than 15,000 meters.

The moon moves about two inches away from the Earth
each year.
__________________
Greenie - 100mw in diy aluminum host
650nm - 260mw in MXDL host with brass heatsink
650nm - 325mw in stainless Raygun host. The dot is so bright it's
PINK/ORANGE!
Thanks Jay! Thanks Drew! Thanks Larry! Thanks Glenn! Thanks Dave!

Pink - 500mW (white w/red , ok not till later)
Please don't dazzle aircraft! You wouldn't hit someone in the face normally would you?
Home of the stainless RAYGUN !
millirad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 04:02 PM #28
zyxwv99's Avatar
Class 1M Laser
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: California
Posts: 178
Rep Power: 34
zyxwv99 has a reputation beyond reputezyxwv99 has a reputation beyond reputezyxwv99 has a reputation beyond reputezyxwv99 has a reputation beyond reputezyxwv99 has a reputation beyond reputezyxwv99 has a reputation beyond reputezyxwv99 has a reputation beyond reputezyxwv99 has a reputation beyond reputezyxwv99 has a reputation beyond reputezyxwv99 has a reputation beyond reputezyxwv99 has a reputation beyond repute
zyxwv99 zyxwv99 is offline
Class 1M Laser
zyxwv99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: California
Posts: 178
Rep Power: 34
zyxwv99 has a reputation beyond reputezyxwv99 has a reputation beyond reputezyxwv99 has a reputation beyond reputezyxwv99 has a reputation beyond reputezyxwv99 has a reputation beyond reputezyxwv99 has a reputation beyond reputezyxwv99 has a reputation beyond reputezyxwv99 has a reputation beyond reputezyxwv99 has a reputation beyond reputezyxwv99 has a reputation beyond reputezyxwv99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fun-Fact thread

Between 2000 and 2013 our planet got hit by 26 asteroids. They exploded in the atmosphere, but with power measured in kilotons, producing shock waves detectable thousands of miles away.

B612 Foundation Impact Video | Sentinel Mission
__________________
405 nm 5 mW
405 nm 100 mW focusing
532 nm 50 mW
650 nm 5 mW
808 nm 300 mW
980 / 490 nm 5 mW
Flashlights
365 nm 1 W UV Tank007 TK-566
940 nm 5 W Infrared Ultrafire 501B

http://lightcolorvision.wordpress.com/
zyxwv99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 04:04 PM #29
Eudaimonium's Avatar
Class 4 Laser
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pitomača, Croatia
Posts: 6,295
Rep Power: 1122
Eudaimonium has a reputation beyond reputeEudaimonium has a reputation beyond reputeEudaimonium has a reputation beyond reputeEudaimonium has a reputation beyond reputeEudaimonium has a reputation beyond reputeEudaimonium has a reputation beyond reputeEudaimonium has a reputation beyond reputeEudaimonium has a reputation beyond reputeEudaimonium has a reputation beyond reputeEudaimonium has a reputation beyond reputeEudaimonium has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Eudaimonium
Eudaimonium Eudaimonium is offline
Class 4 Laser
Eudaimonium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pitomača, Croatia
Posts: 6,295
Rep Power: 1122
Eudaimonium has a reputation beyond reputeEudaimonium has a reputation beyond reputeEudaimonium has a reputation beyond reputeEudaimonium has a reputation beyond reputeEudaimonium has a reputation beyond reputeEudaimonium has a reputation beyond reputeEudaimonium has a reputation beyond reputeEudaimonium has a reputation beyond reputeEudaimonium has a reputation beyond reputeEudaimonium has a reputation beyond reputeEudaimonium has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Eudaimonium
Default Re: Fun-Fact thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by millirad View Post

The military salute is a motion that evolved from medieval times, when knights in armor raised their visors to reveal their identity.
Cool, didn't know that.

In feudal Japan, the importance of skill with swordfighting wasn't nearly as prevalent as modern culture makes it out to be.

The most important skill was archery with Japanese longbows. One claiming he was deadly swordfighter was basically admitting that he sucked with longbow, which was the primary battlefield weapon of the era, since it far outreached the sword, which was used as a backup weapon only.
__________________
Accepting and
^Click to enter^

The "Where to get laser components" big compilation thread!

Are you new and need help? Instead of starting new threads, shoot me a Personal Message! I'll answer all the beginner's and advanced questions you might have!

Eudaimonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:23 PM #30
KapHn8d's Avatar
Class 2M Laser
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 841
Rep Power: 3622
KapHn8d has a reputation beyond reputeKapHn8d has a reputation beyond reputeKapHn8d has a reputation beyond reputeKapHn8d has a reputation beyond reputeKapHn8d has a reputation beyond reputeKapHn8d has a reputation beyond reputeKapHn8d has a reputation beyond reputeKapHn8d has a reputation beyond reputeKapHn8d has a reputation beyond reputeKapHn8d has a reputation beyond reputeKapHn8d has a reputation beyond repute
KapHn8d KapHn8d is offline
Class 2M Laser
KapHn8d's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 841
Rep Power: 3622
KapHn8d has a reputation beyond reputeKapHn8d has a reputation beyond reputeKapHn8d has a reputation beyond reputeKapHn8d has a reputation beyond reputeKapHn8d has a reputation beyond reputeKapHn8d has a reputation beyond reputeKapHn8d has a reputation beyond reputeKapHn8d has a reputation beyond reputeKapHn8d has a reputation beyond reputeKapHn8d has a reputation beyond reputeKapHn8d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fun-Fact thread

The galactic year, also known as a cosmic year, is the duration of time required for the Solar System to orbit once around the center of the Milky Way Galaxy, is somewhere between 225 to 250 million terrestrial years.

An object traveling at the speed of light could circumnavigate the Earth's equator in 2 minutes and 54 seconds -and- 1 inch is 2.54 centimeters. Hmmmm...
__________________
96.85840735 percent clayton... the rest is just pi
405nm >> Skylasers PL405 500mW, overspec generic pen 70mW
445nm >> Blord 3W Dominator
460nm >> laserBtB 50mW pen
473nm >> Jet Lasers PL-E Pro 10-30mW
488nm >> Uniphase 2214-40MLA Cyllindrical Argon Ion
515nm >> Skylasers HL515 30mW
520nm >> Skylasers HL520 50mW
532nm >> Skylasers PL532 700mW, CNI 532nm GLP
543.5nm >> JDS Uniphase HeNe
589nm >> DL Spartan 50mW
632.8nm >> JDS Uniphase HeNe
638nm >> Blord 501B 200mW
650nm >> generic pen 4mW
650nm >> Skylasers HL650 300mW
Lazerbee 5W LPM
KapHn8d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:49 PM #31
SilverFire's Avatar
Class 2 Laser
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Viginia Beach VA
Posts: 486
Rep Power: 49
SilverFire has a reputation beyond reputeSilverFire has a reputation beyond reputeSilverFire has a reputation beyond reputeSilverFire has a reputation beyond reputeSilverFire has a reputation beyond reputeSilverFire has a reputation beyond reputeSilverFire has a reputation beyond reputeSilverFire has a reputation beyond reputeSilverFire has a reputation beyond reputeSilverFire has a reputation beyond reputeSilverFire has a reputation beyond repute
SilverFire SilverFire is offline
Class 2 Laser
SilverFire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Viginia Beach VA
Posts: 486
Rep Power: 49
SilverFire has a reputation beyond reputeSilverFire has a reputation beyond reputeSilverFire has a reputation beyond reputeSilverFire has a reputation beyond reputeSilverFire has a reputation beyond reputeSilverFire has a reputation beyond reputeSilverFire has a reputation beyond reputeSilverFire has a reputation beyond reputeSilverFire has a reputation beyond reputeSilverFire has a reputation beyond reputeSilverFire has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fun-Fact thread

Fun fact:
This sentence is false
__________________
lllllllll------------
Silver

[COLOR="Blue"]SkyLasers LFP 445mm 1W
SilverFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 11:27 PM #32
Cyparagon's Avatar
Class 4 Laser
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 9,293
Rep Power: 211757
Cyparagon has a reputation beyond reputeCyparagon has a reputation beyond reputeCyparagon has a reputation beyond reputeCyparagon has a reputation beyond reputeCyparagon has a reputation beyond reputeCyparagon has a reputation beyond reputeCyparagon has a reputation beyond reputeCyparagon has a reputation beyond reputeCyparagon has a reputation beyond reputeCyparagon has a reputation beyond reputeCyparagon has a reputation beyond repute
Cyparagon Cyparagon is offline
Class 4 Laser
Cyparagon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 9,293
Rep Power: 211757
Cyparagon has a reputation beyond reputeCyparagon has a reputation beyond reputeCyparagon has a reputation beyond reputeCyparagon has a reputation beyond reputeCyparagon has a reputation beyond reputeCyparagon has a reputation beyond reputeCyparagon has a reputation beyond reputeCyparagon has a reputation beyond reputeCyparagon has a reputation beyond reputeCyparagon has a reputation beyond reputeCyparagon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fun-Fact thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by KapHn8d View Post
An object traveling at the speed of light could circumnavigate the Earth's equator in 2 minutes and 54 seconds


It's closer to 1/7 of a second.
__________________
A problem well stated is a problem half solved.
Cyparagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply





Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

























Privacy Policy | Advertising Disclaimer | Terms of Use


 


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:37 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Privacy Policy | Advertising Disclaimer | Terms of Use
Copyright (C) 2017 Laser Pointer Forums, LLC