Old 08-24-2011, 03:54 AM #17
irritatediance's Avatar
Class 1 Laser
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 57
Rep Power: 7
irritatediance will become famous soon enough
irritatediance irritatediance is offline
Class 1 Laser
irritatediance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 57
Rep Power: 7
irritatediance will become famous soon enough
Default Re: The best laser from lazerer?

not to hijack....just a quick safety question (not found in forum...yet) regarding IR since the topic popped up.
Wanted to know if disperses sporadically or is it still confined with the beam?
I am sure it could easily defract invisibly and disperse into eyes, but is it generally "wild" or localized with the visible light?

Purely curiosity as I intend to goggle up.


__________________
5mW 532nm
60mW 532nm
400mW 532nm
5mW 650nmx4 (still fun)
225mW 650nm
5mW 405nm(the woman's )
425mW 405nm
1.2 watt 445nm
~trichroic prism assembly~
Posting with MBP, my favorite source of electromagnetic radiation
irritatediance is offline   Reply With Quote


















Old 08-27-2011, 12:31 AM #18
cheech226's Avatar
Class 3R Laser
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: across the river from the big easy
Posts: 1,485
Rep Power: 1949
cheech226 has a reputation beyond reputecheech226 has a reputation beyond reputecheech226 has a reputation beyond reputecheech226 has a reputation beyond reputecheech226 has a reputation beyond reputecheech226 has a reputation beyond reputecheech226 has a reputation beyond reputecheech226 has a reputation beyond reputecheech226 has a reputation beyond reputecheech226 has a reputation beyond reputecheech226 has a reputation beyond repute
cheech226 cheech226 is offline
Class 3R Laser
cheech226's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: across the river from the big easy
Posts: 1,485
Rep Power: 1949
cheech226 has a reputation beyond reputecheech226 has a reputation beyond reputecheech226 has a reputation beyond reputecheech226 has a reputation beyond reputecheech226 has a reputation beyond reputecheech226 has a reputation beyond reputecheech226 has a reputation beyond reputecheech226 has a reputation beyond reputecheech226 has a reputation beyond reputecheech226 has a reputation beyond reputecheech226 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The best laser from lazerer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by irritatediance View Post
not to hijack....just a quick safety question (not found in forum...yet) regarding IR since the topic popped up.
Wanted to know if disperses sporadically or is it still confined with the beam?
I am sure it could easily defract invisibly and disperse into eyes, but is it generally "wild" or localized with the visible light?

Purely curiosity as I intend to goggle up.
that's a question i also would ask. is the ir lased or not?
cheech226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 12:34 AM #19
Foshizzle45's Avatar
Class 2 Laser
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 375
Rep Power: 16
Foshizzle45 is a splendid one to beholdFoshizzle45 is a splendid one to beholdFoshizzle45 is a splendid one to beholdFoshizzle45 is a splendid one to beholdFoshizzle45 is a splendid one to beholdFoshizzle45 is a splendid one to beholdFoshizzle45 is a splendid one to behold
Foshizzle45 Foshizzle45 is offline
Class 2 Laser
Foshizzle45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 375
Rep Power: 16
Foshizzle45 is a splendid one to beholdFoshizzle45 is a splendid one to beholdFoshizzle45 is a splendid one to beholdFoshizzle45 is a splendid one to beholdFoshizzle45 is a splendid one to beholdFoshizzle45 is a splendid one to beholdFoshizzle45 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The best laser from lazerer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheech226 View Post
that's a question i also would ask. is the ir lased or not?
It stays relatively close with the laser, Sometimes if there is a lot of IR, you can see deformation in the dot. Usually in high powered ones.
__________________
Lasers
5mw 532nm
10mw 532nm
100mw 532nm (On it's way)
150mw 532nm (Also on it's way)
Hey, It's better to start small, then the other way around!

Wear appropriate laser goggles for your wavelength laser. NO EXCUSES!
http://optotronics.com/proddetail.php?prod=lg-001

Your first laser!??! Start here.
http://laserpointerforums.com/f45/gu...ser-30608.html
Foshizzle45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 01:59 AM #20
InfinitusEquitas's Avatar
Class 4 Laser
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: 20 Minutes from NYC.
Posts: 16,031
Rep Power: 1583146
InfinitusEquitas has a reputation beyond reputeInfinitusEquitas has a reputation beyond reputeInfinitusEquitas has a reputation beyond reputeInfinitusEquitas has a reputation beyond reputeInfinitusEquitas has a reputation beyond reputeInfinitusEquitas has a reputation beyond reputeInfinitusEquitas has a reputation beyond reputeInfinitusEquitas has a reputation beyond reputeInfinitusEquitas has a reputation beyond reputeInfinitusEquitas has a reputation beyond reputeInfinitusEquitas has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to InfinitusEquitas Send a message via MSN to InfinitusEquitas Send a message via Yahoo to InfinitusEquitas
InfinitusEquitas InfinitusEquitas is offline
Class 4 Laser
InfinitusEquitas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: 20 Minutes from NYC.
Posts: 16,031
Rep Power: 1583146
InfinitusEquitas has a reputation beyond reputeInfinitusEquitas has a reputation beyond reputeInfinitusEquitas has a reputation beyond reputeInfinitusEquitas has a reputation beyond reputeInfinitusEquitas has a reputation beyond reputeInfinitusEquitas has a reputation beyond reputeInfinitusEquitas has a reputation beyond reputeInfinitusEquitas has a reputation beyond reputeInfinitusEquitas has a reputation beyond reputeInfinitusEquitas has a reputation beyond reputeInfinitusEquitas has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to InfinitusEquitas Send a message via MSN to InfinitusEquitas Send a message via Yahoo to InfinitusEquitas
Default Re: The best laser from lazerer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by irritatediance View Post
not to hijack....just a quick safety question (not found in forum...yet) regarding IR since the topic popped up.
Wanted to know if disperses sporadically or is it still confined with the beam?
I am sure it could easily defract invisibly and disperse into eyes, but is it generally "wild" or localized with the visible light?

Purely curiosity as I intend to goggle up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheech226 View Post
that's a question i also would ask. is the ir lased or not?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foshizzle45 View Post
It stays relatively close with the laser, Sometimes if there is a lot of IR, you can see deformation in the dot. Usually in high powered ones.
It really varies laser to laser. Generally the IR is nowhere near as collimated as as the visible green component.

In most cases the IR will form a larger invisible dot around the visible one.

In terms of safety, if you're using the laser outside, or for pointing at objects at a distance of say 10 feet at minimum you will be fine... as long as you avoid reflections. The danger comes from the fact that most goggles do not block IR, as a result you may think you are protected and wave the laser around like crazy (always a bad idea) and catch a reflection, figuring, "what the heck I have my goggles on..." and the goggles will block the green light, but not the IR.

You also won't feel or see anything from IR... your retina has no nerve receptors to feel pain (iirc, could be wrong about this) but you will damage your vision.

Personally inside I don't look at dots of over 100mW lasers from closer that 5 feet. At the same time I look at beams all the time without looking at the dot...

Overall it really depends on personal user choices, on whether IR ever has to be a concern or not. I have 5 IR filters, and side from using them for testing, I don't use them, but again... I don't burn with green lasers, and don't look at dots from up close.

@Foshizzle45 - Site reference for your statement please... there is no way at all to tell IR content visually from looking at a green laser beam, I could be wrong though, wouldn't be the first time, so reference?

Last edited by InfinitusEquitas; 08-27-2011 at 02:01 AM.
InfinitusEquitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 02:36 AM #21
Foshizzle45's Avatar
Class 2 Laser
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 375
Rep Power: 16
Foshizzle45 is a splendid one to beholdFoshizzle45 is a splendid one to beholdFoshizzle45 is a splendid one to beholdFoshizzle45 is a splendid one to beholdFoshizzle45 is a splendid one to beholdFoshizzle45 is a splendid one to beholdFoshizzle45 is a splendid one to behold
Foshizzle45 Foshizzle45 is offline
Class 2 Laser
Foshizzle45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 375
Rep Power: 16
Foshizzle45 is a splendid one to beholdFoshizzle45 is a splendid one to beholdFoshizzle45 is a splendid one to beholdFoshizzle45 is a splendid one to beholdFoshizzle45 is a splendid one to beholdFoshizzle45 is a splendid one to beholdFoshizzle45 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The best laser from lazerer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinitusEquitas View Post
It really varies laser to laser. Generally the IR is nowhere near as collimated as as the visible green component.

In most cases the IR will form a larger invisible dot around the visible one.

In terms of safety, if you're using the laser outside, or for pointing at objects at a distance of say 10 feet at minimum you will be fine... as long as you avoid reflections. The danger comes from the fact that most goggles do not block IR, as a result you may think you are protected and wave the laser around like crazy (always a bad idea) and catch a reflection, figuring, "what the heck I have my goggles on..." and the goggles will block the green light, but not the IR.

You also won't feel or see anything from IR... your retina has no nerve receptors to feel pain (iirc, could be wrong about this) but you will damage your vision.

Personally inside I don't look at dots of over 100mW lasers from closer that 5 feet. At the same time I look at beams all the time without looking at the dot...

Overall it really depends on personal user choices, on whether IR ever has to be a concern or not. I have 5 IR filters, and side from using them for testing, I don't use them, but again... I don't burn with green lasers, and don't look at dots from up close.

@Foshizzle45 - Site reference for your statement please... there is no way at all to tell IR content visually from looking at a green laser beam, I could be wrong though, wouldn't be the first time, so reference?
It was on a youtube video, so i may be incorrect, but it was a review, and someone was complaining about their dot being deformed, so people where trying to help him and they said that the IR could be effecting it, or maybe it was the IR filter? I cant remember exactly what was stated.
__________________
Lasers
5mw 532nm
10mw 532nm
100mw 532nm (On it's way)
150mw 532nm (Also on it's way)
Hey, It's better to start small, then the other way around!

Wear appropriate laser goggles for your wavelength laser. NO EXCUSES!
http://optotronics.com/proddetail.php?prod=lg-001

Your first laser!??! Start here.
http://laserpointerforums.com/f45/gu...ser-30608.html
Foshizzle45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:53 AM #22
blue bumblebee's Avatar
Class 2M Laser
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 815
Rep Power: 163
blue bumblebee has a reputation beyond reputeblue bumblebee has a reputation beyond reputeblue bumblebee has a reputation beyond reputeblue bumblebee has a reputation beyond reputeblue bumblebee has a reputation beyond reputeblue bumblebee has a reputation beyond reputeblue bumblebee has a reputation beyond reputeblue bumblebee has a reputation beyond reputeblue bumblebee has a reputation beyond reputeblue bumblebee has a reputation beyond reputeblue bumblebee has a reputation beyond repute
blue bumblebee blue bumblebee is offline
Class 2M Laser
blue bumblebee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 815
Rep Power: 163
blue bumblebee has a reputation beyond reputeblue bumblebee has a reputation beyond reputeblue bumblebee has a reputation beyond reputeblue bumblebee has a reputation beyond reputeblue bumblebee has a reputation beyond reputeblue bumblebee has a reputation beyond reputeblue bumblebee has a reputation beyond reputeblue bumblebee has a reputation beyond reputeblue bumblebee has a reputation beyond reputeblue bumblebee has a reputation beyond reputeblue bumblebee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The best laser from lazerer?

wow, cant believe i didnt see this thread until now
@ fosh
im in the same boat as you right now
you should get it, i guarentee you wont regret it
i already made up my mind, but i still have to find a way to let my parents let me buy a $200 laser :P

@irritatedince
you should wait and jump on RHD's DD group buy round 2 if he does

this is the thread for group buy #1
http://laserpointerforums.com/f55/gb...nfo-65565.html
blue bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply





Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



























Privacy Policy | Advertising Disclaimer | Terms of Use


 


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:55 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Privacy Policy | Advertising Disclaimer | Terms of Use
Copyright (C) 2017 Laser Pointer Forums, LLC