Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What nm is the less visible diode in the DVD-RWs

Does anybody know what nm is the less visible laser diode in the DVD-RWs. I have to get safety eye wear to considered fooling around with it. The power from it is rather scary because it burned through 60lb paper stock with black print and it would burn bright white. My other two very bright DVD lasers can't do the burn through.

S

SenKat

Re: What nm is the less visible diode in the DVD-R

WOW - either diode in a dvd writter should burn about the same. The only way to really tell, is if you are lucky enough to get the same configuration as the one I messed with is this : with one diode pointing towards you, the other diode is on the eft. The left one is red, the one nearest you is IR. That is how it was in the one I tore apart - I just got lucky, I guess, but to test, you can clip some small leads to the diode (while still in the heatsink) and test that way - the bright red beam shoud come out of the top of it, due to all the beam splitters, etc in there.

Thanks, but what is the nm for the IR, is it 808nm? Because I thought 808nm is not visible at all and the one from the DVD writer is slightly visible red.

S

SenKat

I am not sure of the exact wavelength - I have some 785nm IR diodes I can see a slight red dot on those, too - I guess we are all different when it comes to seeing those wavelengths.

Daedal

SenKat said:
I am not sure of the exact wavelength - I have some 785nm IR diodes I can see a slight red dot on those, too - I guess we are all different when it comes to seeing those wavelengths.

Agreed... I actually see 808nm as warm pinkinsh. It's rather odd. It scares me sometimes. I was running a 1W laser for testing and I could clearly see the beam all the way. I was shielded, and I had a camera looking where I dare not look. But I sneaked a peek and I saw the beam... no smoke was present, and the lights were on. It was kind of neat.

--DDL

I think you're dealing with the 780nm diode for handling CDs.

Aseras

it's usually a 650nm and a 780nm. both look red. the 780 will look like a 5 mw red, but it's a killer.