Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Wanting to scare doves away

laserbot

Hello all.

I bought a $12 pen laser off of eBay (JBL 1111) and the doves just look at the dot from it on the ground, like "what's this?"
It scares the sparrows away (which I don't want) but does nothing for the doves. I see now that the JBL 1111 is under 5mw, may be 1mw. Where can I find a real 5mw or 10mw green pen laser? I guess not on eBay. I don't want to spend a lot on this problem if I can help it. Thanks..

Doves aren't the most clever birds. I'm afraid that, no matter how bright the laser is, they'll probably just stare at it as if it were a strange bug. I've seen people use those foam rubber owls or hawks, and the doves will roost right on top of them. About the only thing that seems to be foolproof is making a loud noise. If you have a noisemaker of some sort attached to a motion detector to activate it, that'd probably be your best bet, but it will scare away all of the other birds as well. I'm not sure what you are trying to do, but if it has to do with a bird feeder, I'm sorry that there's not much you can do.

Don't think you'll get anywhere with doves. They're pretty dumb and instinctual. Maybe try stuff like predator bird sounds. Why are you trying to scare them off? From where? Sometimes setting a portable sprinkler on a timer might work.

If you bought a generic 532nm (Green) laser, which is most likely 5mW-50mW, then I doubt any other laser will work. Might be better to look at other, non-laser, options. Different wavelengths (colors) could have different effects, but I would doubt it.