Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Reliable Companies for First Purchase

rjtnz

Hi there, new to the site and looking for input on purchasing a high powered laser pointer.

Seeking input regarding purchasing my first decent laser pointer. Years ago I was interested in getting a high-powered laser and was looking at what WickedLasers offered, but have always read too many unreliable reviews on their product/dispatch times.

Im looking for a laser pointer mainly for astronomy, but more specifically astronomy photography. From the research I've done so far a Green 532nm wavelength is what would be best suited. I am a little stuck on the output power and beam diameter. Some higher-powered lasers have a slightly larger beam (am I wrong to assume that the higher power is spread out over a greater area?)

What I am looking at are
GX 500mW - biglasers.com/product/gx-green-laser-pointer/
is this also the same item? -biglaserpointers.com/burning-lasers/3-mercury-high-powered-handheld-burning-laser-pointer.html#/2-laser_power-500mw/6-laser_color-green_532nm
GX1 500mW - biglasers.com/product/chrome-green-laser-pointer/
ORCA Waterproof 200mW - biglasers.com/product/orca-waterproof-green-laser-pointer-200mw/

Also between the two companies I have listed, are they pretty reputable suppliers?

Many thanks in advance
Ryan

PS: also going to be looking for a build project. I haven't done any research into this area yet, but any recommendations as to a good starter build im all ears.

tinkertavernco

The companies you’ve sent are pretty well known for being disreputable. These are all mass produced products - I am pretty confident that the power option from BigLasers won’t even change anything about the laser. You are just paying more money for nothing. Plus the price range there is absolutely unjustified - all of those green lasers will be 50-100mW, the justified cost for them is definitely not more than $50.

Also, if you are doing astrophotography, 532nm is probably the wrong choice for that. The reason is that DPSS wavelengths like 532 are temperature sensitive - there is a delicate crystal used to convert infrared light into visible light, and it may not work as well in cold temperatures.

I may be biased, but I’d recommend something like this. 520nm 450mW is plenty of power and you’ll easily be able to see the beam at night. Plus, it is a direct diode wavelength so the stability is significantly better.

Valkyrie 520nm

Attachments

• IMG_2102.jpeg
    IMG_2102.jpeg
    577.9 KB · Views: 1

julianthedragon

I think you should have a look at this 300mw 635nm laser from Sanwu.

Screenshot 2023-12-30 at 10.41.26 AM.png

• Reputable seller
• Single-mode diode means you'll have the sharp, round beam profile you like about 532nm DPSS, but with direct-diode tech that won't be as temperature-sensitive
• 635nm, and 300mw no less, will be more than bright enough to use for star pointing, without being distractingly bright
• Challenger II model is compact but has a decently sized heat sink, which means an extended duty cycle (can keep it on for longer)

I've also had great experiences buying from JetLasers, and Tinker Tavern and JLasers here on LPF.

Welcome to the LPF Ryan. You can buy either 303 or 304 style 532 nm lasers for about $10 each on eBay. Most of mine are about 80 mW in output power. Unless you plan on using them some place very cold they are pretty stable. Good luck to you.

rjtnz

Thanks for the fast replies, very informative. I knew by asking proper enthusiasts I would get some valuable input.
I'll have a look at both Jet and Sanwu lasers. I had thought that Biglasers would have been a reseller, as there wasn't much information on their About Us page.

You guys all pointed out the temperature sensitivity of DPSS. I live in New Zealand, and the temps ill be dealing with vary between -5 up to 30 (celsius ;) ). Am i likely to be affected by the temperature concerns you have raised?

Thanks for the fast replies, very informative. I knew by asking proper enthusiasts I would get some valuable input.
I'll have a look at both Jet and Sanwu lasers. I had thought that Biglasers would have been a reseller, as there wasn't much information on their About Us page.

You guys all pointed out the temperature sensitivity of DPSS. I live in New Zealand, and the temps ill be dealing with vary between -5 up to 30 (celsius ;) ). Am i likely to be affected by the temperature concerns you have raised?

At the bottom end of temperatures where you are at you may have some trouble with the 532 nm lasers at least until it warms up.