Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Powering a Melles Griot He-Ne tube (05-LHP-401)?

Veg

Just for the record... this tube was used in a Perkin Elmer Spectrum RX-1 FTIR spectrophotometer. It was excited by a Melles Griot 05-LPM-829-045 DC-DC power block (12VDC, 9.5W(max) input // 1.10-1.50KVDC 4.5mA output). I am betting the power block part number is proprietary also, just as the 05-LHP-401 number proved to be. I am am trying to refurb that flavor of spectrophotometer, and your thread proved helpful with some info on this tube... so i thought i'd share what i knew about it.

If LazyBeam is still posting i would like to discuss his conversation(s) with Melles Griot in more detail...

I called Melles Griot... it's a particular product number/laser that is manufactured exclusively for another company (so it won't show up in any typical Melles Griot literature).

It features exceptionally clean linearly-polarized 632.8nm output @ 1mW.
1.070-1.270 kVDC input @ 4.5mA with 8 kVDC starting voltage.

This looks like a great forum and i look forward to diving into the threads here. Thanks already for the help.

V/R,
VEG (newbie)

How does the power supply work...
Does it regulate the voltage itself and the adjsutment is just on the current?
Or dwo two pots control both the kV and mA?

I'll keep an eye out. I want a DC input so that I can make this portable.
My goal is a Li-ion powered HeNe handheld (for presentations).
I'm guessing it will be about 16" long when it's all done - lol.

You have POTENTIAL for handheld with a dc power supply. But not realistically. output is only a few milliamps at a couple thousand volts meaning a few watts of power, however required input voltage is in the AMPs range.

So bring along a heavy duty dc power supply and you can power it, but probably not handheld - More luggable.

Someone did a luggable version of a HeNe on here a couple years ago just to prove it could be done. If you go back through old threads I'm sure you could find it.

AC is usually a better albiet more expensive choice if you can pick. And other than the one from a member I mentioned above, they are all powered from the wall. Even the little handheld Sam Goldwasser has for sale that is about the size of a Kryton Groove is still tethered. Just an FYI.

Have fun, it's easy to get hooked on the glow of the plasma. But remember they are HIGH VOLTAGE. So often you need special wire and other items when dealing with most of these that run in the 1000's of volts. BE CAREFUL.

and you get a nice surprise by touching the alden plug ---

like Ice sez= that is not what one would make into a portable. HeNe pointers were once made and a few are still around but not with a tube like that.

you could run one from your cars lighter tho--12vdc to PS to laser.
or put a 12v car battery in a wagon..

lol

Sounds like any typical .5-1mW HeNe. Just about any HeNe power brick with a rating from 1200 to about 1750VDC that can be set to 4.5mA should work just fine with that. You can get them with either AC line or various low voltage DC inputs. Personally I prefer the AC input PSUs but the DC ones tend to be cheaper. You might be fine as low as 3-3.5mA but don't go much above the rating. Keep a watch on ebay, you should be able to find one for $10-$20 with some patience and a little luck.

I need a couple power supplies with the correct connectors like this for myself.

I would be grateful to you if you sent me a "heads up" or link to a couple in that price range:thanks:

COCONUTS

Would my Mastech 6A -30V power supply work with these heads or are these power "bricks" similar to neon transformers?

Last edited:

akisigma

I came across a salvaged 1mW polarized 632.8nm He-Ne tube (part number 05-LHP-401). It's still intact in the black enclosure with the two prong connector. Manufacture date Aug 2005. I was told it still lases fine but something about the machine it was used in required a replacement or upgrade He-Ne tube.

What would I need to power such a device?

I got it for free, so I don't want to spend too much powering it.
Any idea how much it's worth assuming it works and is in good shape?

Hi, do you still have this item?
In case that you do not need it, I am interested to buy it.
Akis

Anthony P

Surplus Sales of Nebraska sells alden connectors. I have dealt with them once or twice several years ago without any problems.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Hi, do you still have this item?
In case that you do not need it, I am interested to buy it.
Akis

Welcome to LPF, akisigma.

I highly doubt that you'll get a reply from the OP (LazyBeam), since this was posted 12/16/10, and he hasn't posted on LPF since 2/21/12.