Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Powering a lasee array

MrSmaugerson

Hello everyone so I figured I'd try to power a laser array and found this constant current driver on ebay that looked very versatile. I'm trying to power a nichia nubm38. However nothing seems to happen. I'm powering it off of a 3s 4500mah 50c lipo battery that is fully functional. I have the driver set to 57 volts at 2.75 amps. I'll include pictures of what the set up looks like. The driver shows absolutely no signs of any amps making through so I was hoping someone here could help me get it to work. As of now the diode is showing zero signs of life.

Attachments

• IMG_20230929_171857.jpg
    IMG_20230929_171857.jpg
    277 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20230929_171904.jpg
    IMG_20230929_171904.jpg
    346 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20230929_171946.jpg
    IMG_20230929_171946.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20230929_172010.jpg
    IMG_20230929_172010.jpg
    388.3 KB · Views: 10

Can you link the driver or give us it’s name.

Looks like you have the array wired up right but please slap it on a heatsink before you get it going. That array will produce upwards of 100W of waste heat when it fires up and that will cook it if it’s not heatsinked

MrSmaugerson

Haha sorry about that, I'm happy to share the link but unfortunately it says I need 20 posts. So I'll attach a screenshot ebay listing.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230929_182326_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20230929_182326_eBay.jpg
    537.8 KB · Views: 6

MrSmaugerson

Can you link the driver or give us it’s name.

Looks like you have the array wired up right but please slap it on a heatsink before you get it going. That array will produce upwards of 100W of waste heat when it fires up and that will cook it if it’s not heatsinked
Also thank you for the heatsink tip, I'll go pull one right now!

I found it and it appears to be a rather straight forward boost driver. Set voltage, set current, then toggle the output on and off with the OK button. Unfortunately there is not a whole lot to mess up and considering the driver is powered on means you have input wired correctly, and from what I can see in your pictures you have the output wired correctly too.

After you mount the array on a heatsink try redoing the array leads, maybe there's a cold solder joint in there. I'm not knocking your ability to solder, but I'm definitely guilty of having cold solder joint lead me to believe something was broken when it was really my own mistake.

You can buy those power supplys from ali-express for 20 dollars. CLICK HERE

So setting it up and simply switching the battery will work to power a laser array with the click of a single switch in line with your battery when you leave it in the AUTO mode. ( It remembers )

The trick is to have it set on " AUTO " by holding the set button for 6 seconds, that lets you toggle between AUTO and ------- so in AUTO it comes on in the group you left it in when you switched off your battery, but in ------ mode it will not automatically power on the boost when you switch your battery. So these will work very well and supposedly have only a 50mv ripple.

Button #1 is " + "
Button #2 is " SET " ( 6 second hold to toggle AUTO and ------ ) or ( double click to step through as you set it up )
Button #3 is " - "
Button #4 is " ON/OFF " and " select " when in flashing SET mode.

MrSmaugerson

I found it and it appears to be a rather straight forward boost driver. Set voltage, set current, then toggle the output on and off with the OK button. Unfortunately there is not a whole lot to mess up and considering the driver is powered on means you have input wired correctly, and from what I can see in your pictures you have the output wired correctly too.

After you mount the array on a heatsink try redoing the array leads, maybe there's a cold solder joint in there. I'm not knocking your ability to solder, but I'm definitely guilty of having cold solder joint lead me to believe something was broken when it was really my own mistake.
Oh don't worry I know better than anyone how "special" my soldering skills are lol. Thanks for the input I'll go check that out!

MrSmaugerson

You can buy those power supplys from ali-express for 20 dollars. (Sorry for deleting the link, I still need like 15 more posts to post one. Thank you for showing me though!)

So setting it up and simply switching the battery will work to power a laser array with the click of a single switch in line with your battery when you leave it in the AUTO mode. ( It remembers )

The trick is to have it set on " AUTO " by holding the set button for 6 seconds, that lets you toggle between AUTO and ------- so in AUTO it comes on in the group you left it in when you switched off your battery, but in ------ mode it will not automatically power on the boost when you switch your battery. So these will work very well and supposedly have only a 50mv ripple.

Button #1 is " + "
Button #2 is " SET " ( 6 second hold to toggle AUTO and ------ ) or ( double click to step through as you set it up )
Button #3 is " - "
Button #4 is " ON/OFF " and " select " when in flashing SET mode.
Thank you! I know where I'm picking up my next one lol. I'll go work on those settings as soon as I get a minute!