Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

power meter

im thinking of buying my own power meter. I don't want to spend a lot but at the same time i want something that works and measures right. any suggestions......

WOW...!!!!! that is expensive.. i dont think I'm ever going to buy a meter.

How about one like this...
Don't forget to add the price of the Sensor Head...

Coherent® High Power Laser Power Meters | Edmund Optics

And there are much more expensive commercial
LPMs available on the market. One of our Members
has spent ~$4000.00 on one.

Perhaps the best thing for you to do is stick your
finger into the beam and guess the output power
of your lasers....:whistle:

Jerry

You can contact us at any time on our Website: J.BAUER Electronics

Last edited:

sinner

Dont go for DIY options on that if you are looking for accurate measurements..
If you want to get only a few of your lasers measured and thats it, Usually there are just 2 or 3 lasers you want to measure, you can always ask a nearest member having a lpm to do that for you, usually people are nice and will even do it for free.. Just ship them your lasers and pay return shipping!!

^^^ Good idea for the Members that will only have a few
Lasers in their Laser Hobby life....:beer:

Jerry

Last edited:
If it is worth doing, it is worth doing right. If you want to do it right, you gotta have good equipment. Jerry (lasersbee) makes a good little setup that connects to a PC via USB port. It's accurate, easy to use, and durable (if you treat it right), oh, and CHEAP for what you get. $125, or so, US. Works as good as, or better than, (when it was still running....) an old Govt surplus optical meter I had. I finally crapted out my old Precision Lab unit. ordered a 2.5 USB from Jerry. Got it in less than a week, and was back up and running. If you can save up for LASER parts, you can save up for some good test equipment.

You have DIY LPM options available too and I think they start around $50. Have a look in some of Jerry's, Mario's or Jusinjja's threads. :beer:

$150 or so for a meter is pretty decent for those hobby-class meters, especially considering that the heads from companies like Coherent, etc. cost about $300 each alone (unless there's some fire sale on eBay).

On another note, I've stopped using my Kenometer in lieu of a Laserbee until I can recase the former in something that doesn't trap heat. I was getting readings all over the place as the sensor head would heat up the surface and convection would warm up the interior of the box.

So what happened to building your own?..:thinking:

Maybe the OP wants something simple and cheap, that will be accurate enough for his hobbyist needs...

There used to be loads of threads and support about building your own for around $50 - $100 and even Jerry advocated the DIY approach with his Power Meter Collection Thread?

These are some of the older threads:

http://laserpointerforums.com/f42/diy-thermal-lpm-under-50-a-51129.html
http://laserpointerforums.com/f42/diy-pre-calibrated-lpm-under-100-00-a-52861.html
http://laserpointerforums.com/f42/simple-laser-power-meter-using-ir-thermometer-26341.html
http://laserpointerforums.com/f42/diy-laser-power-meter-26831.html
http://laserpointerforums.com/f70/justinjja-s-lpm-no-longer-prototype-d-76931.html
Sam's Laser FAQ - Items of Interest

I realise some of these use an Ophir head, but they can be bought for $50 - $150 second hand on places like Ebay.

Although I have only looked very briefly at the specs of these, so you'll have to do your own research to find out whether they would be suitable for your needs. Examples:

Ophir Optical Head for Laser Energy Power Meter ATN | eBay
Ophir 150W Oema Thermal Head | eBay
Newport Ophir 30A P R SH Thermopile Laser Power Sensor Head | eBay
Ophir Laser Measurement 20c A 1 Y Sensor Laser Power Meter LPM 1706111 New | eBay

@OP if you cant afford a new LPM (especially like the one Jerry linked to in his first post at $875...) why not try to build one of those listed above? You will learn a lot and if you decide to upgrade at a later date you could then opt for a Laserbee or Ophir system. :beer:

Last edited:
You forgot to add the price of the Sensor Head...
The $875 is only the meter without a head....
A head would double that amount.

I haven't advocated (past tense) the DIY projects...
I still advocate them. If I did not I would delete the
Thread.:beer:

Anyone that will take the time to do a little research
and reading on the Forum can find it.

On another note, I've stopped using my Kenometer in lieu of a Laserbee until I can recase the former in something that doesn't trap heat. I was getting readings all over the place as the sensor head would heat up the surface and convection would warm up the interior of the box.

I've been saying this from the beginning since we did
our own tests with the Kenometers we bought.
The thermal heads are inside the enclosure with the
extremely hot and noisy switching PS right next to it.
I've measured the inside of the enclosure switched on
with no Laser on the sensor over 100 F.

All our LaserBee LPM User Instructions state the Thermpile
head MUST be in free air and not enclosed.

You can take the head out of the enclosure and just get
a longer coax cable to connect to the head to the PCB.

Jerry

Last edited: