Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Mounting suggestions

Sumfinclever

Looking for some suggestions either for inexpensive off the shelf options, or recommendations if I go the diy route. One of the guys I work with, gave me a small collection of sample lenses that were sent to us by various vendors. He suggested one or more of them may help me get a tighter beam profile from a 465nm pointer I build a while back from a nugm multimode diode. Only thing is, these are not the standard little glass lenses we use in the m9 threaded tubes.
I measured the diameters, and have two different sizes. The smaller ones are 10mm in diameter, and the larger ones are 24mm in diameter. No idea what type of lens or even the manufacturer, but considering what the company I work for uses them for, I'm sure they're high quality.

How would y'all go about housing such glass safely but still allow for fine focusing? I'll probably end up having to fabricate something, but figured I'd see what others thought first. How would y'all do it.

Attachments

• IMG_20231017_220329_784.jpg
    IMG_20231017_220329_784.jpg
    520.9 KB · Views: 5

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
You might have the makings of a decent beam expander there. Do the lenses have any kind of AR coatings?

The 1st thing you need to do is test the lenses because most plano convex or bi-convex lenses will produce significant " wings " which are spherical aberrations. What you need is an aspheric lens or possibly a very long focal length lens.

Note you said 465nm nugm..... any nuGm would be a green ld.

Sumfinclever

The 1st thing you need to do is test the lenses because most plano convex or bi-convex lenses will produce significant " wings " which are spherical aberrations. What you need is an aspheric lens or possibly a very long focal length lens.

Note you said 465nm nugm..... any nuGm would be a green ld.
I didn't even realize I made that typo, but yeah it would have been a nubm03 I think or nubm04. Thanks for pointing that out.

Sumfinclever

You might have the makings of a decent beam expander there. Do the lenses have any kind of AR coatings?
I only unwrapped one to check, but it didn't appear to be coated. I doubt the others will be any different. I need to do a little research and see if I can determine what they're supposed to be based on the shape of each side.