Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Measurements of mirrors for not red HeNe (for Pr:YLF)

atomd

I'm experimenting with Pr:YLF crystal that's capable of lasing at few visible wavelengths (green, orange, red, deep red) and I'm looking for selective mirrors to get specific wavelengths to lase. I have almost same problem as HeNe with red line being the brightness so I'm hoping to reuse existing optics.

Does anyone have any resources or could quickly measure transmittance / reflectance of green or yellow mirrors for HeNe. I'm especially interested with curved OCs as getting dichroic flat mirrors is much simpler than curved ones.

Also any suggestions regarding wavelength selection in resonator would be welcomed.

kecked

I wonder if a grating might work. There were a bunch of hene mirrors of all kind on eBay few months back. Might see if they are still there

try the grating. I have not seen a tuneable Pr. Not like continuous but between colors. Works for gas lasers like argon.

atomd

Problem is that all gratings I found have efficiency below 80% so Ill have really high resonator round trip loss.

Exactly because NOS and used HeNe mirrors of all kinds show up from time to time I started wondering if they may be feasible

As far as I can tell the best option for wavelength selection is using a Brewster prism. This is what is used for tunable argon lasers for example. This way a concave mirror can still be used. Theoretically this setup can have near zero losses at the one specific wavelength.
I've been studying this for a multi-line gas type laser, so I don't know how it would adapt to a dpss setup.

atomd

In theory it works. Question is where to get prism with good enough coatings for my frequencies of interest? Best I found had around 1.5% reflectivity per side, meaning 6% round trip loss. Not terrible but a bit high concerning typical OC in Pr:YLF has transmitance of 2%.
I guess I could use typical Littrow prism at Brewster angle but then I have to maintain polarization in entire resonator.

So you're suggesting to stick with something like:

It is called a brewster prism because the light will enter and exit at the brewsters angle, so it will have 0% theoretical losses for one polarization. No coatings are necessary because of this. As long as linearly polarized light works for your application. I can't say the actual real life % loss, but it should easily be <1%.

A littrow prism is 1/2 of a brewster prism (so light will enter at brewsters angle and hit the back surface perpendicularly), so it doesn't really work unless the back surface is coated which would be custom and $$$. The reason brewster is better (at least in my case) is because the prism relatively simple, uncoated and the fancy coated/concave optic is separate. Maybe take a look at my crude diagram (https://laserpointerforums.com/threads/tunable-argon-ion-review-10th-anniversary-post.109813/).

Another drawback to a prism can be that it takes more space, not a whole lot, maybe an inch or two, but for compact dpss it may be an issue to consider. Also, keep in mind that equilateral prisms are not all brewster prism, usually brewster prisme will specifi the apex angle. Dispersive prisme may be the same as brewsters prism, Im not 100% sure. Sorry if its a bit rambling.

Last edited:

kecked

Last edited:

atomd

Where did you get the crystal. Pr:YLF I have been meaning to mess with this for along time and I finally have time.

looks like a good article
I bought it here: https://4lasers.com/en/components/crystals/laser-crystals/pr-ylf-crystals
They're Lithuanian company selling many different laser materials. if it's currently unavailable you may need to wait a bit because as far as i know they produce them in batches