Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Klingon Disrupter courtesy of Hemlock Mike !

S

SenKat

Mike has a few poroblems posting pics - so I am putting them up for everyone's enjoyment - I cannot wait to see his finished product !  It is a small YAG laser (pulsed output) encased in an authentic Star Trek Klingon Disrupter !!  The catch is....it WORKS !

Attachments

• Phaser1.JPG
    Phaser1.JPG
    319.6 KB · Views: 180

T

timelord

That is damn cool to see memorabilia customised like this :)

S

SenKat

Re: Klingon Disrupter courtesy of Helock Mike !

Yeah - and to have it be so effective, as well ! :)

So many toys -- Ssooo little time !!
That power supply is a camera strobe PS with a voltage doubler added ! 600 volts into 100 Mfd ~ 18 Joules input to a Nd:YAG Q switched cavity. The power supply is the size of a 9 volt battery. Pulsed output is estimated at 3 MW - 4 nano seconds from my reading.
YES - I have goggles and I use them.
Mike

I don't know much if anything about Star Trek, but judge from a laser point of view: That's AWESOME!

What I'm wondering though is how are the collimation and beam diameter on that thing? Decent enough to be used at range?

T

timelord

The Romulans better watch out!!! :eek: Hemlock mike has the daddy of disrupters ;D

The raw beam diameter is about 5mm - same as the rod. I am looking for a single lens like used for red Ld's but will probably have to build a low X beam expander type collumator which will fit into the silver bezel.
Focused down, this will put pinholes in aluminum foil !!

Mike

S

SenKat

With the ability to put pinholes in aluminum foil, do you thinki you have the output power correct ? I think it would have to be a little stronger than what you wrote in order to do that, wouldn't it ? Just curious !!!

T

timelord

When you get the disrupter sorted i'm looking forward to the video of it in action Mike :cool:

S

SenKat

Mega Watts makes more sense - but, OOOOF ! Mike - in Watts - how much power is that thing putting out ? :cool:

SenKat said:
Mega Watts makes more sense - but, OOOOF ! Mike - in Watts - how much power is that thing putting out ? :cool:

I think the seller claimed it at a 2 Joule output, which is the equivalent of a massive 2 Watt seconds (the total energy outputted by a 2 Watt laser over a 1 second period). If the 3MW is an accurate average over 4ns, that's a small fraction of 2 Joules per pulse. Either way though, the pulse is very short, but its putting out an amazing amount of power during it!

You guys are all correct in a way.  That much energy is hard to envision OR measure. It will damage most sensors unless unfocused. Then for that few nSeconds ----  If I remove the Q switch, the pulse will be longer but also a lower peak.  Data on the SSY-1 is on Sam's.  Going over about 15 Joules drive damages the dye in the Q switch.  I will decide later.

I HAVE TOO DAMN MANY PROJECTS. I haven't even tried any of my HL6545MG diodes yet. I also have to make a living to support some socalists.

Mike