Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

IR Circuit Design - I Need Help

stankycheeseman

Hey all,

I’m new to the forum and custom making laser stuff.

My goal: Design a weapon mounted infrared laser aiming / illuminator module for personal use. The ones available on the civilian market are both prohibitively expensive and way under powered.

Desired specs: 3 mode laser - 0.5mW, 5mW, and 25ishmW output. Wavelength in the 800nm+ range. Beam divergence as tight as I can reasonably get it. CR123 3V power source. Lightweight - I’ll probably 3D print the housing.

I’m versed in basic electronics theory and have done enough research to be dangerous. I have read Daedal’s post outlining a basic driver circuit. Seems simple enough unless anyone has suggestions. Linked below (minus https://) for reference.

laserpointerforums.com/threads/diy-homemade-laser-diode-driver.26339/

Where I need help is circuit design suggestions and recommended components. For example, do I have to use a collimated laser module, or are there diodes out there that can output what I want with </= 0.5mrad divergence? I’ve searched, but I’m pretty new to this. Maybe I just don’t know where to look. Any help is appreciated.