Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help Please.

nrjpshaw

I know nothing about lasers and don't even know if this is the right place but I would be very grateful if someone could build
/modify , do what ever is necessary to produce a CHEAP, GREEN pointer/ laser that can be pointed at the ground approx 10ft in front displaying a big letter 'B'. I don't know if this is even possible but I sure would be glad of some help. As for the cost - well this has to be at an absolute minimum ( if it works a cheap under a tenner job would be perfect). I am willing to pay for anyone's time, costs etc but the finished product ideally needs to be as cheap as possible. I hope someone has the time and know how because I haven't but it is something that is very important to me and thank you in advance. N Shaw - Blackpool UK

One that will display the letter "B" is not possible at your price range. But, you can buy a 301 or 303 style 532nm diode pumped solid state laser on eBay for ~$6.00. Many output ~80 mW which is still quite bright at that wavelength of green.

nrjpshaw

Thank you for that - is there any way of fitting a lens or something to display the letter do you think ? Or do you think i'm wasting everyone's time and maybe just buy a torch and add a filter? grateful for any answers -good or bad, i can take it !

What you are describing is a diffraction grating. I am unaware of any that would do what you ask. If you wanted something to print out a "B" the easiest way would be a projector programmed to move the lasers beam fast enough to make that. But, it would cost a lot more than your budget allows.

gazer101

Why couldn't you just focus a flashlight to infinity (cuz divergence is garbage) and then place a "B" cutout on top of it? It'd make a pretty big "B" at 10ft

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Unfortunately I don't think it will be possible in that price range. I reminds me of those novelty lens caps that used to come with cheap red dollar store laser pointers. Some would have stars, hearts, or whatever.

There are companies that will make custom lens caps, but it would be far beyond the budget stated above.

gazer101

But couldn't you just carve out a "B" on a piece of tin foil and use that in front of the flashlight? Or is that not how flashlights work?

EDIT: Just tested it with a green light, seems legit (I am a bad carver)
1599613023983.png

Last edited:

nrjpshaw

Excellent replies. Thank you all very much. Think I might have to go with the torch option . It was worth a try though. Again thank you for your input.