Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help needed for assembling a laser!

jayrob

Make sure you know the pin connection on the blu-ray diode. It is different than a red DVD diode...

Let us know how your build goes!
Jay

This is only a minor issue, but it is still hindering me. I do not have red double-sided tape, only weak double-sided Scotch tape. Is there an alternative that I can use, such as some kind of glue like epoxy?

Thanks,
Mark

jayrob

Well... you don't want something that is going to stick too much to the driver. I would suggest to just go to Home Depot or Ace hardware and buy some of the red tape. It's not very expensive.

Besides, this is not the last laser you will be building!
Jay

Testing the diode/Flexdrive didn't work out too well. I guess I'll just have to trust drlava that it's 120mA. He would have done it properly. I will pick up that red tape tomorrow, and finish building the laser tomorrow evening. So far, I have snapped the tabs, soldered the wires where the LED was, filled the cavity up with quick-set putty while leaving the edges clear, and tested voltage. It came out at 4.5 volts exactly, so the connections are good so far.

I missed something, though: (how) should I remove the lens and the metal piece inside the front part of the flashlight?

-Mark

jayrob

rocketparrotlet said:
I missed something, though: (how) should I remove the lens and the metal piece inside the front part of the flashlight?

-Mark

It's a threaded ring. You can use needle nose pliers to put the tips of the pliers into the two holes and turn counter clockwise...
Jay

P.S. If you do not succeed on the first try, just remember that there are many who do not! If fact, even experienced builders still make mistakes and kill diodes. It's easy to do.

Okay, thanks for your support. If I do accidentally kill the diode, I will just go with it and order another one. Updates coming tomorrow!

-Mark

It works beautifully! I love it so much! Jayrob, would you be willing to test power for me? I would pay for shipping both ways.

-Mark