Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

green dpss laser class IIIb - can anybody shed some light on it?

pongmaster

hi guys, new here, great forum.
i had this laser for a while, when doing some astronomy.
it is kinda powerful i think? but probably weak in comparison to the stuff in this forum.
i'm used to audio electronics, but totally new to laserstuff.
this laser module i bought from a guy and built the enclosure around it.
it is defective at the moment, because the middlepart of the on off switch fell apart and is gone.
that switch looks a bit complicated and messy somehow.
is it worth it to repair?
is there a chance anybody can rate or specify a bit from the pictures what i have here?
best pongi

Attachments

• DSCN8234.jpg
    DSCN8234.jpg
    650.4 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCN8236.jpg
    DSCN8236.jpg
    486.1 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCN8237.jpg
    DSCN8237.jpg
    429.3 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCN8241.jpg
    DSCN8241.jpg
    490.4 KB · Views: 11

not familiar with that one but--we have lots of great member here'
hope you get the help you seek and enjoy LPF''
OK so much for being nice (JK)
see this members 1st post/thread.. he made a nice introduction and THEN posted for help.. an intro is a nice thing to do BUT in no way maditory.

TBH I failed to make my intro at first..
A great Intro. has its rewards.. many here read that subforum daily.

And a big plus is when we add our location to the TITLE of thier intro.
BUT if it IS in your profile- we will very likely see that and PM you.
It shows whenever we mouse your avatar.
Right now no LEMs are fully planned- but once Covid is gone many will ne ready for some LEMs

Help on your laser is nice via the forum..BUT..What if you find a member close or close enough who might be able to give you 'hands-on' help.

kewl right?
You may have added your location in your profile.. as when you do that--anytime your avatar they will see your location.. our 'old' forum was better as the location was always under our avatar and that was IMO much better.

One of the perks is we , as you know, most here do not personally know a lot of laserfans. THUS when a laser gathering is planned you will surely get invited.
I was blessed meeting more than 100 members, thier friends & family who 'came with' the member (free) and I got invited to visit -- sometimes staying for a weekend..

I have been to 8 or nine meets (or LEMS) and each one was a blast.. I even held/hosted one only a month after my first SELEM--- (South Eastern Laser Enthausist Meet) I enjoyed my 5 SELEMs -- and TEXLEM 2012 was incredible --

AND it is refreshing to be around so many w/o anyone asking; 'why lasers'?
'How come you have more than one'? 'what good are they anyway?'

we fully understand -- welcome to the addiction..

we hope to someday meet you in person cheerz!
Len

Last edited:

Coonie

And there goes hakzaw blabbing at yet another new member to make a welcome thread, post location, pming (which no one is compelled to do when they see someones location), LEMs, blah blah blah ... He literally comes up with a new way to say the same damn thing over and over. This time he was nice about it but most of the time he's down right rude and creepy.

At any rate welcome

Jim H

And there goes hakzaw blabbing at yet another new member to make a welcome thread, post location, pming (which no one is compelled to do when they see someones location), LEMs, blah blah blah ... He literally comes up with a new way to say the same damn thing over and over. This time he was nice about it but most of the time he's down right rude and creepy.

At any rate welcome
To his credit, I didn't know you could mouse over the profile and see the location of a user. I would just say enthusiastic about information of new users.

Coonie

To his credit, I didn't know you could mouse over the profile and see the location of a user. I would just say enthusiastic about information of new users.

You haven't been here long enough

Buffo

To answer the OP's question:

The label identifies this as a class 3B laser, so the output power should be greater than 5 mw but less than 500 mw. However, that's a pretty wide range, so without more information it's hard to say whether it's worth trying to repair anything. Have you ever seen this unit operating? And how big is the head? (No sense of scale in the pictures...)

If the problem is *just* the switch, then that would seem to be a trivial thing to replace. But I would try bypassing the switch with a jumper (test lead) first to be sure that everything else is OK and the laser actually operates. (You could also have a bad diode, a blown driver, or damaged / missing optics.)

Adam

pongmaster

heya thx guys for your posts.

Buffo, yes this laser is almost functional, but the inner part of the switch is gone forever...so.
i checked the switch but it looks like very complicated, like it has 10pinouts in a microswitch, but i have to check again, its very small.
thanks for your info about the power of the class IIIb laser.