Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Got hit in my eye by a <5mW 532nm laserpointer glass window reflection.

I was aiming a PL450 laser and accidentally hit a mirrored ornament that I didn't know was in the background and it send 120mW straight into my left eye. I had a bleached spot in my field of vision that persisted for a week. It was as if the laser came out of nowhere because I didn't know that ornament was there. Needless to say I check the background a LOT more carefully now!

A subsequent eye exam revealed no apparent damage. I guess I got lucky that time.

glad you are unharmed-- your case is very typical.​
I no longer suggest an $$$ Dr. visit until after the self tests and waiting period.
IN almost all cases the Dr wil say that ATM nothing can be done--it will pass- pay the lady on your way out.end of story. Can you PM me and desribe what you mean by 'bleached out'..

Benm

One thing that can be done is a retinal exam to see if there is any burning, tearing and such. This should be done as soon as practical, but there is no need to take an ambulance to hospital or anything like that. Waiting for an hour or so to see if it clears up shouldn't increase the risk of lasting damage much, but don't wait for days if there is something off with your vision.

As for the cost factor: that will probably depend largely on where you live and how and if you are insured. In some countries such consultations are free of charge to the patient, where in others the bill could be hefty. It could be wise to figure that out before something actually happens so you can make an informed decision at the time.

Currently you need to pay for the first 385 euros of speciast case yourself in netherlands even if you have health insurance, making it a rather expensive trip. That is IF they charge it at all, since they can only charge things that fit within a predefined set of ailments/injuries, and i doubt laser strike is on that.