Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

"F22 Viper" - DIY 445nm 1,100mW Build - NJG-18 With Modes!

rhd

This is my latest DIY creation (and perhaps the current favorite 445 in my collection). The host is an "F22" from DX, the name "Viper" comes from the tri-toothed assault crown. This host luckily also ships with a normal non-asaulty circular crown that can be swapped at will.

To do the build, I had a very small aluminum heatsink at my disposal, care of Ray J Neal. The heatsink wasn't specifically designed for this host. Rather, a few months back I asked Ray to create a couple very tiny aixiz heatsinks for me - my intention being to use them in future tiny DIY creations.

It was time for the first of such DIY creations. To give the heatsink a snug fit, I used a few wraps of pure copper adhesive film around the aluminum heatsink. Beyond this little bit of improv, this was a straight-forward build. I used the awesome NJG-18 boost driver, with a ceramic output cap, and I left the modes enabled. I absolutely love having at least one laser with modes. The fast strobe is my favorite - low modes are interesting. SOS is useless.... though I would imagine an SOS signal is generally useless, until it's not.

With a single fresh 14500, this hits ~1,000 to 1,100 mW. One of the neat aspects of this host is the positioning of the focus ring "below" the teeth. Set it and forget it - I never end up knocking the focus by accident.

Youtube Video of Modes in Action:
YouTube - F22 Viper - 18 Modes

This video is a great illustration of why it's crucial to wear safety glasses whenever using a high powered laser. Shortly into the video, there's a close call with the beam nearing my face. You can't see me, so you don't know this, but I'm wearing safety glasses. (this is an unlisted video, just uploaded to put in this thread)

32116d1301693271-f22-viper-diy-445nm-1-100mw-build-njg-18-modes-viper.jpg

2011-03-19%2000.33.54.jpg

Last edited:

Toke

Really nice. :)

(Try show it off in the most recent light sword tread. :D)

Toke

*scratches head*
What's that ?

That polished host with exaggerated assault crown reminds me of some of the light swords in star wars. And there seems to be a light sword tread popping up every now and then. :D

rhd

Nice and shiny host!
The assault crown looks overly aggressive/silly IMHO.

The weird thing is that it actually doesn't look aggressive in realy life. Must have to do with the shiny finish or something - it sort of looks peaceful and magical.

Lovin' this build. I just can't seem to get an NJG-18s soldered correctly to work... I gues my soldering iron is a little bit too large or something, or my hands are a little bit too shaky to do the tiny soldering necessary to solder the wires in the through-holes... the through-holes are so close to other components, damnit!!!

Wow rhd, very nice host! I have a build planned with an assult crown head. I'm going to ask moh if he can turn it into the focus knob.

rhd

Wolfman: Thanks! Don't feel too bad. The negative lead (if you use it) literally solders through half-underneath a 3-pin IC. Thats the toughest solder.

Though, if you want an easier approach, do this (it's not what I do, but it would work if you don't have a precise soldering iron):
- Ignore the "proper" negative lead, and just solder to the edge trace somewhere safely away from components.
- For the (+) lead, strip perhaps 5 mm of your wire's skin away, twist the wires, add add solder, and then let it cool. Place it in the (+) lead hole, and it may not go in (depending on the amount of solder on your wire). Touch your soldering iron to the exposed wired (because you stripped and soldered about 5mm), and let it melt the solder, while you sort of nudge the (+) lead just a bit further into the hole (if necessary). Then grab some shrink tubing, and drop it over the wire to protect any of the 5mm that is still exposed (probably not super important since the only component near by is the inductor, and it shouldn't be close enough to short your (+) lead.

BH: Thanks!
Boy, wait until you see the BEAUTIFUL three hosts Ray has making their way across our continent for me. Two of them have assault crowns, and well, there are some awesome surprises in store visually. What he did with these three hosts is just phenomenal, and I hope to have a very special diode to put in at least one of them... it's not a 445, it's not C-Mount.... ;)

rhd

Wanted to add a new photo with Flaminpyro's focus ring :)

attachment.php

Attachments

• viper.jpg
    viper.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 917

rhd

Thanks! It's the gem of my collection now. Adding a video of the modes in action for those who haven't seen it on a laser before:

Youtube Video of Modes in Action:
YouTube - F22 Viper - 18 Modes

This video is a great illustration of why it's crucial to wear safety glasses whenever using a high powered laser. Shortly into the video, there's a close call with the beam nearing my face. You can't see me, so you don't know this, but I'm wearing safety glasses. (this is an unlisted video, just uploaded to put in this thread)

DTR

I did not see this thread. Great looking unit.:beer:

I have one of these hosts getting a sink made. I had thought I was going to be the first one to build one.:yabbem:

YOU AGAIN with another envious build!?! Just awesome! The attack bezel/crown especially stands out to me because I love a laser with an aggressive attitude :beer: If you want to stop anytime soon because you're so far ahead that'd be just fine with me :D