Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Dodgy DX-30? Check the spring!

Benm

That would work fine to prevent it from getting too hot... but the problem is also not to run it too cold. Unlike plain diodes these definetly have a temperature optimum, and staying below that also reduces performance considerably.

Ds1

hmmm....does anyone happen to know/ has experimented with optimum operating tempature of the DX30s?

Benm

Thats a bit tricky, as it varies among models i think. My good DX30 has an optimum a bit over room temperature, works best when it has handheld for a bit and/or powered up for half a minute... i'd say between 30 and 35 degrees case temperature. When it's left on for a long time (several minutes at least) it dims a bit as it gets over 35.

My dodgy, but now rewired and working again DX20 is best at around 25 and dims a bit when it heats to 35.

Btw, these optimum values are for the green output, the pump diode will put out more power when colder, but either due to pump wavelength mismatch or KTP (in)efficiency, the overal optimum works out as described.

Ds1

thanks that should be a help.... second question, do you think I could pull the old IR diode out and replace it with a brighter/ better one? (or put the pump on a totally different diode/ driver)

Benm

I have no idea if you can remove or replace the pump diode... at least from a mechanical perspective. These DPSS units are finicky, taking them apart and putting them back together might not work out that well.

But the effect of putting in a more powerful pump diode probably won't be that great - the solid state laser and doubler have their limits too, and might be saturated or even damaged by pumping harder.

Ds1

yeah very true....but I almost want to try the little $20 experiment... ;D

Man thats a bummer about your dx20's adn 30's dieing so quicly
lol i have the dx200 and man its still rocking after what 3 monts of playing with it and doing a cuple laser shows : ) probly have atleast 20-30 hours of run time on it and its still working great. anwas best of luck on your lasers just wanted to stick up for dx that alteast a few of their lasers actulay last : )

What I do have to say about Deal Extreme is that they are a very polite company that ACTUALLY responds well to emails. They are also willing to replace dead lasers. That should say a lot about a dealer. Perhaps I just got a bad one. From what I can see, it's a hit or miss gamble. But, they will take my dead DX 30 back and replace it.
Also, they have great deals on their other items non laser related that all seem to be happy with.

My DX30 likes to be cool. 20C to 25C seems to be optimal. At 30C it's dimmed somewhat and at 35C dims to well below 5mW brightness.