Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

do IR lasers need different focus/lens?

Mannitu78

Hello,
is it just me or is focussing a 850nm diode more difficult? None of me lenses i use for my blue lasers really work. I can get a point only on 30 or 40 cm distance maybe. I tried the usual 9mm-stuff, G8 lens, three-element....

I havent tried anything deeper into the IR than 780nm, but even that focused down fine with plenty of room to spare with stock plastic lenses, G2's and G8's.

Hello,
is it just me or is focussing a 850nm diode more difficult? None of me lenses i use for my blue lasers really work. I can get a point only on 30 or 40 cm distance maybe. I tried the usual 9mm-stuff, G8 lens, three-element....

(1) What kind of 850nm laser do you have ?
(2) How about posting a pic of the laser ?
(3) Have you looked at the lasers specs ( emitter size and divergence ) ?
(4) I assume it's multi mode..... is it multi mode ?

Eidetical

Lenses designed for blue, or lenses corrected for the visible may not work well in the infrared. The problem may also be that the antireflection coatings on a lens made for use with blue light might be reflective at 850nm. Even broadband AR coatings may have that problem.

I have an 808 nm laser that I was able to focus well using a G2 lens. Can't imagine a small emitter diode at 850 nm being any more difficult to focus than mine.

Generally no. Technically yes lenses are made from different materials that have better transmission for IR. Optical coatings are also important. Info.