Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Do I have a virus?

Okay so today I was on my computer and the screen turned black and then came back and did that a few times. then went to the blue screen of death.
Norton didnt find anything on quick scan.
PLEASE HELP!!!!

Trevor

Okay so today I was on my computer and the screen turned black and then came back and did that a few times. then went to the blue screen of death.
Norton didnt find anything on quick scan.
PLEASE HELP!!!!

What was the error text?

-Trevor

Sounds like a hardware issue, likely a corrupt driver. The BSOD should hint at the problem hardware, but doesn't always. Read everything on the blue screen, and pay attention to what you are doing when the blue screen happens. This is likely to give you a clue as to what the problem is. Once you have a idea of which piece of hardware is giving you issues, you can reinstall it's driver. If that doesn't work and you get more BSODs, it's time to replace the hardware.

The screen going black and coming back on then BSOD sounds like it may be video related. Is it a laptop or desktop, does it have an add in video card, what were you trying to do at the time it gave you that problem?

EDIT:damn mfo you beat me to it. curse my poor typing skills

PS. Most viruses will to keep your computer running so it can spread.

Last edited:

jaycey

You could try the event log in administative tools (control Panel) to find the cause of the problem.

it says that the drive failed but was saved
i have vista
so its not a virus?
thats good I have already lost one computer to viruses

it says that the drive failed but was saved
i have vista
so its not a virus?
thats good I have already lost one computer to viruses

If I were you I would back up important data and install a new HD. Its no fun to lose all your data to a failed drive.

your hard disk must have been heating up so fast.. drive failtures will really alarm BSOD's