Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Developing Best Practices For Use Of Lasers In Aquaria

Marine aquarists are just beginning the realize the potential benefits (and safety concerns) of higher output lasers. We're working on developing a list of "best practices" to help those new to the use of lasers protect themselves, any observers and their livestock.

The participants in this forum have an incredible wealth of knowledge. I'm hoping that some will be willing to review the existing draft and offer any comments or suggestions on how to improve this document.

For those interested, the entire thread can be found here

Thank you in advance for your time and for sharing your knowledge.

-Tom

Best practices for the use of lasers in aquaria (first draft)​

Secure the Area
The lase area should be closed off from any transient traffic to prevent someone from unknowingly entering the area without appropriate eye protection. Any doors should be closed and locked. Any windows should be covered or blinds closed to prevent the escape of reflected laser energy.

Only the laser operator and those required in the process should be allowed in the area. All pets should be removed from the area and prevented for reentering while the laser is in use.

Protective Gear
A high power laser beam striking your eye, or the eye of an observer can result in instant and permanent blindness. Even viewing the beam endpoint without eye protection will cause eye damage. The user and everyone within the viewing or potential reflection areas must be equipped with appropriate eye protection specifically designed for the wavelength laser being used. Sunglasses do not protect against laser light. Laser eye protection is designed to protect against unintentional reflections and endpoint viewing. It is not designed to protect from a laser beam being directed toward the eye. Never look directly at a laser beam or allow it to directly strike your eye.

Long sleeves and Nitrile gloves offer an additional layer of protection for the operator.

Identify and Eliminate Reflection Hazards
Using high power lasers in glass and acrylic tanks is virtually guaranteed to create potentially hazardous beam reflections. These beam reflections can cause serious injury. This danger is amplified by the fact that use of the appropriate safety goggles will prevent you from seeing most beam reflections. Positioning the laser at right angles (directly perpendicular) to the tank glass or acrylic should be avoided as unseen laser energy will be reflected directly toward the user. Burns to exposed tissue can occur within seconds.To prevent injury, a low power targeting laser (such as a laser pointer) in a different spectrum that can be seen when using the safety goggles should be utilized to identify any reflections before firing the high power laser.

Identify Backstops
The laser beam will penetrate clean glass or acrylic with virtually no heat being transmitted to the tank material. The beam will quickly (almost instantly) pierce though the targeted item and impact anything behind it. Extreme caution must be exercised to prevent injury to any livestock located behind the targeted item. Painted or dark glass or acrylic surfaces may become heated during lasing.

Reduce Water Flow
Pumps should be turned off during lasering. This limits the cooling effect of water passing over the target thereby increasing the effectiveness of the laser and reducing the firing duration required to achieve the intended results. It also simplifies targeting as the intended pest is motionless.

Protecting Tank Inhabitants
Failure to protect tank inhabitants from repeated viewing the beam endpoint will likely result in blindness to your livestock. Ideally, all livestock should be removed and held in quarantine in a tank protected (covered) from stray laser light until laser treatment is completed. Alternative methods(s) to protect livestock from encountering the beam or end-point include,

• Physical Barriers - Use of physical barriers to prevent inhabitants from accessing an area being lased and to prevent any laser energy (beam pass-through or reflections) from entering any areas containing livestock.
  • Endpoint Shield - If physically blocking off the area being lased is impractical due to tank features, an end-point shield should be used to prevent inhabitants from viewing the end-beam. In this case, extreme diligence is required to extinguish the beam should any inhabitants approach. This is likely, due to curiosity over the “sizzling” sound created by the operating laser. The endpoint shield can be created by simply as a short section of opaque acrylic (such as painted or frosted.) PVC should not be used as it emits toxins when heated.
Potential Impact to Water Quality
Use of a lasers to eradicate certain marine pests may result in the release of undetermined levels of toxins into the water column. It is believed that the intense heat may break down some of the compounds (such as Palytoxins.) Depending on the type and number of pests being destroyed and the size of the tank, the user should be prepared to use fresh carbon and or execute a water change to reduce any toxins produced.

Securing the Laser When Not in Use
When not in use the laser should be treated and stored as a firearm. When not is use it should be secured in a lockable case with batteries removed. The locked case should be stored out of the reach of children.

Last edited:

+1 for this guide. This is important because the people that will be using these lasers with tanks, have never had any laser experience and don't know the danger of lasers. I hope they all read this before buying a high powered laser. Wearing long sleeves and gloves aren't really required, but I guess the safer the better.

Well written and seems to cover all the bases.

Since it's not always practical to lock the area you're working in, you should also use signs to warn people of danger.

+1 for this guide. This is important because the people that will be using these lasers with tanks, have never had any laser experience and don't know the danger of lasers. I hope they all read this before buying a high powered laser. Wearing long sleeves and gloves aren't really required, but I guess the safer the better.

Thanks much! As lasers are new to most marine aquarists, we want to make sure we've covered all the bases from a safety perspective for both the user, any observers and the tank inhabitants. I've heard horror stories of people putting on laser "demonstrations" to groups of aquarists. While the demonstrator had on safety goggles - the audience were advised to simply wear sunglasses. Those that happened onto the room by chance had nothing at all...With all the reflections caused by the tank walls, that is very scary.

I added the gloves and long sleeves because despite my initial attempts at safety (1.8mW 4445nm) - I managed to "Sting" my hands a couple times. Firing the laser through glass or acrylic tanks from a right angle easily produced enough unseen (at least when wearing the safety glasses) energy to burn my hand. I think it is compounded by the fact we're lasing items just a few inches away.

Well written and seems to cover all the bases.

Since it's not always practical to lock the area you're working in, you should also use signs to warn people of danger.

That's a great add - Thanks!

A few more questions for the resident laser experts...

1) We're working on fabricating a beam endpoint shield that can be placed on the end of a long rod for immersion into the tank to shield any tank inhabitants from the beam endpoint. It can be a simple as a section of pipe, perhaps 2" diameter and about 4" long affixed to the rod by an articulating joint.

• Should the shield be made from solid or opaque material to block the light (I'm concerned about the potential for reflections or out gassing if/when hit with the laser.) Or would it be better to use something translucent such as the material the safety glasses are made from? (translucent would be preferred as it would allow light into the working area.)
  • Is the material used to make the safety glasses (190-450nm) available in other shapes? If not, could you recommend the best color? and if so - Any recommendation as to a supplier?
2) We had an individual who owns a laser cutting shop warn us NOT to use lasers on acrylic tanks. He based him warning on his use of 150 watt and 15 watt IR lasers to easily cut and etch acrylic. We're "assuming" that our <2W visible light lasers pose no threat to acrylic as some have been using them for a couple of years without incident.

Can anyone comment - Any concerns?

Thanks again for all your help!

Last edited:

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
"He based him warning on his use of 150 watt and 15 watt IR lasers to easily cut and etch acrylic."

I believe this comment is based on CO2 lasers whose wavelength is readily absorbed by acrylic plastics.

Wow, this is cool and at the same time pretty dangerous.

I tried this out on some algae in my goldfish tank and was pretty amazed to hear stuff popping and cracking. I'm starting to think that 1W of blue is a bit overkill, as I used a ~250mW red laser and it worked fine - although the shorter blue wavelength will probably work better on the lighter colored pests. Even using 250mw of 660nm, you definately still need to use goggles. It's too tough (and dangerous) to do without them.

Last edited:
Wow, this is cool and at the same time pretty dangerous.

I tried this out on some algae in my goldfish tank and was pretty amazed to hear stuff popping and cracking. I'm starting to think that 1W of blue is a bit overkill, as I used a ~250mW red laser and it worked fine - although the shorter blue wavelength will probably work better on the lighter colored pests. Even using 250mw of 660nm, you definately still need to use goggles. It's too tough (and dangerous) to do without them.

I'm using a 1800mW 445nm and it is extremely effective. I believe the higher output is desirable as many of the reef tanks are very large (some thousands of gallons.)

Beyond how effective the laser light is at removing pests, I think I was most surprised by the sound. Even in large tanks where the target is more than a foot away and under at least a foot of water, distinct "Sizzling" and "Popping" noises can be heard.

Safety is our single greatest concern - hence this post and the request that those with laser knowledge help us develop the best practiced for this use. Goggles are an absolute must for the operator and any observers. We're also working on solutions to protect the livestock that might be as close as just inches from the beam endpoint.

Hey Tom, what kind of reaction did you get from the fish when you were lasing aiptasia? I got my survival laser last week, but I havn't had a chance to fry any pests yet. I was thinking the best time might be after the lights go out and all the fish have taken refuge for the night.

Hey Tom, what kind of reaction did you get from the fish when you were lasing aiptasia? I got my survival laser last week, but I havn't had a chance to fry any pests yet. I was thinking the best time might be after the lights go out and all the fish have taken refuge for the night.

I'm fortunate as the tank I am using for laser testing only has a few fish - 2 clowns that rarely ever leave their host and a Mandarin that's very easy to keep track of. I've not used the laser when any fish was in an area that could be attracted by it's use, or view the beam endpoint.

Although I don't know much about fish eye structure, but if they have pupils, they would likely be wide open at night and could be more susceptible to eye damage from reflective or beam endpoint light.

I think protecting the livestock is the most challenging part of adapting lasers for use in aquaria.