Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Can a Laser Reflection into the eye cause an eye ulcer?

Hey, Im back again. I was just wondering can a reflection of a laser into the eye cause eye ulcers. I ask this because I recently have been having problems with my eyes so I went to the doctor today, and after having a catscan, many dyes in my eye, and 2 doctors to look at it. And finally they said I have 2 ulcers in the cornea of my eye. Luckly I came in today because they said if I waited much longer I could have permanent eye damage. So I was just wondering could it have been the 50mw green that reflected off duct tape about a month ago. I highly Dought that it was the laser reflection but i was just wondering. Even the doctor said it is just bad luck and wasn't my fault

Typically the cornea is not affected by visible laser light. Damage from visible lasers is normally concentrated on the retina. Of course at extremely high powers (many watts) damage can occur in any part of the eye.

I don't think that a diffuse reflection from a 50mw green could cause a eye ulcer, specially in the cornea, as ElektroFreak says. If some green laser could make a ulcer in your cornea, you would have fried your retina. So, take it easy, but not too much.

^ Good advice! I'm sorry to hear that you had an eye ulcer/s. Probably a statistically low number would get that and at least you caught it time.

Sorry to hear of your eye problem I hope they can fix it for you ;)
I'm no doctor but I would have a agree with the others that you
most likely did not hurt your eye with a 50mW laser, most any
dammage you would have suffered with a laser you would
have known right away not a month later, just my opinion.
Good thoughts for a speedy recovery ;)

UV (below 375nm or so) and IR (above 1500nm or so) can damage the cornea in sufficient powers. Anything between those two ranges will pass through for the most part and damage the retina. Your green isn't responsible for your ulcers. But I certainly hope it's treatable, regardless of the cause.

no worry anymore i went back to the eye doctor's today and she said that i am a great healer and i am doing very good, and the drops that she told me to take 1 drop every 2 hours yesterday now i only have to take three drops a day:)

thanks for your guys concern

JIMS19

When I worked in ophthalmology I saw many corneal ulcers. They can be very serious if not treated in time . but the discomfort usually brings the patient in soon. I hope it isnt in your visual axis because these can leave small scars, which would appear like a small spot in your vision. They are usually caused by poor lid hygiene, Bacteria. I doubt the diffuse laser energy caused it , but stranger things have happened, Its VERY Important that you use the antibiotic and steroid drops as instructed faithfully. Be sure to shake the steroid one -like milk really good before each use, and be sure to follow up with your ophthalmologist as regularly as he or she suggests, all the best ,Jim.

JIMS19

oh and Trever when in the shower use a small amount of baby shampoo on a facecloth and go over your lids with them closed, then rinse off with really warm shower spray and gently dry off with towel when out of the shower,It really helps.