Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Blu Ray Driver?

daguin

hhspunter said:
. I now think I'll make the maximum current be somewhere around 150 mA,  . . . . .I'm thinking I'd like to be able to turn it down to about 5mW (my professor said that's the legal limit). Will a blu-ray diode work with this small amount of power?

Sorry.  You will NOT be able to get both of these from the same laser.  The 803T starts lasing at about 42mA, but climbs VERY rapidly to above 20mW.   I don't even know if it will lase reliably at that low a current.  You could use a PS3 (KES) diode to get the lower output (5mW), but it is NOT capable of over 30mW.  In addition, to lase at 5mW you are going to be putting less than 20mA to it.  To get 150mW out of an 803T diode, you will have to put about 165mA to it.  I don't know of any driver that has a range of 20mA - 165mA.

If you want 5mW AND 150mW you are gong to need two lasers.

Re: turning it up and down repeatedly.  Not only are there potential problems with turning it up and down while it is lasing, pots are NOT sturdy pieces of equipment. They are fragile electronic parts.  EVERY time you put a screwdriver to it, you take the chance on breaking it (or simply wearing out the contacts).  PLUS, every time you take the laser apart to adjust the pot, you take another chance on breaking something else in the laser as well.

Build two lasers.  Set it and forget it.

Peace,
dave

rkcstr

I agree with Dave...

I have some old PS3 diodes, most are crapped out, but I might have one that will do 5mW.  If you're interested, I can find one, tell ya what mA it puts out for 5mW and sell it cheap... can even do a module and driver, if you want (I should be able to set it low enough).  You'll obviously have to build it into whatever host you want, but at least you won't have to shell out a ton of money.  If I can find a decent diode, I was thinking $5 for the diode or $20 for the whole diode with module/driver, both include shipping.

If you just need a low power driver (when I start selling again, need parts) I can make one with ~20mA or less, no problem.

daguin said:
[quote author=hhspunter link=1220734215/0#15 date=1220985992]. I now think I'll make the maximum current be somewhere around 150 mA,  . . . . .I'm thinking I'd like to be able to turn it down to about 5mW (my professor said that's the legal limit). Will a blu-ray diode work with this small amount of power?

Sorry.  You will NOT be able to get both of these from the same laser.  The 803T starts lasing at about 42mA, but climbs VERY rapidly to above 20mW.   I don't even know if it will lase reliably at that low a current.  You could use a PS3 (KES) diode to get the lower output (5mW), but it is NOT capable of over 30mW.  In addition, to lase at 5mW you are going to be putting less than 20mA to it.  To get 150mW out of an 803T diode, you will have to put about 165mA to it.  I don't know of any driver that has a range of 20mA - 165mA.

If you want 5mW AND 150mW you are gong to need two lasers.

Re: turning it up and down repeatedly.  Not only are there potential problems with turning it up and down while it is lasing, pots are NOT sturdy pieces of equipment. They are fragile electronic parts.  EVERY time you put a screwdriver to it, you take the chance on breaking it (or simply wearing out the contacts).  PLUS, every time you take the laser apart to adjust the pot, you take another chance on breaking something else in the laser as well.

Build two lasers.  Set it and forget it.

Peace,
dave[/quote]
Okay. Thanks for that thorough answer. Yeah I had a feeling I wouldn't be able to turn the 803t down that much. I guess I will need two lasers. I told myself I wasn't going to get addicted. Lol looks like it's too late for me. Crap there goes my money.

Rkcstr, I'm definitely interested in a PS3 diode. I'll pm you about it soon.

thanks a lot guys

I have a 5mW violet laser that I'm willing to let go, it is powered by a 9V battery and is in a small box case. I'm looking for around $130 for it (I know it's expensive, but I paid $137 for it!).
Just an offer :p
If you still want to build your own, go ahead and do so.

Oh, and one more thing-
Don't forget to short the capacitor!

Jimmymcjimthejim said:
I have a 5mW violet laser that I'm willing to let go, it is powered by a 9V battery and is in a small box case. I'm looking for around $130 for it (I know it's expensive, but I paid $137 for it!).
Just an offer  :p
If you still want to build your own, go ahead and do so.

Oh, and one more thing-
Don't forget to short the capacitor!
Sorry, that's definitely out of my price range, I'm a starving college student lol. It was a pretty big deal for me to spend $26 on a diode that I'll probably end up burning out doing something dumb. I will remember to short that capacitor though! I'm going to build a test load and everything too, and MAKE SURE there is no charge left in that capacitor. Even worse for me than the money is waiting for the part to come. I'm so anxious! :D

john_lawson said:
5mw dude put a 803-t with 125-150 rkcstr driver and burn baby burn stuff
That's pretty much what I'm doing, but the driver is going to be home made.

I think the diode and AixiZ module should be here today!! You guys might have some pictures by the end of the night! ;D