Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Anyone Tested Out the New Nichia NURM31's?

ecedrew

1st Post: I just got my hands on a lot of what I think may be OSRAM prototypes made for NICHIA's NURM31T. NICHIA announced a few days ago that they're starting to make their own red high power laser diode bars, and that they'd been sourcing their reds from another unnamed manufacturer who I think could only be OSRAM. They have the same package size as the OSRAM PLPM4L to the millimeter, peltiers attached to them and a different lens from the NICHIA's. As far as deviation from the NURM31 specs these could alternatively be the engineering samples for the elusive "long wavelength" version of the NURM31 mentioned in the datasheet. The diodes took 50 watts like a champ but without a better cooling setup I didn't want to burn them. The operating string voltage seems to match NURM31 spec as far as I can tell. If anyone knows them by sight or has any other info on these, it would help me find a home for them. Thanks, -drew

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_7070.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_7070.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 16
Just saw these on eBay: https://www.civillaser.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3561

Is the divergence any good on them, could it be comparable to say a Sharp GH0637AA2G?

If there are any new red lasers on the block, I want to try doing a revised better beam quality build

None of these projector arrays are aligned for distance, you're much better off building your own array and making all the beams align properly, plus the prices they are gouging people for right now are insane, but in time they will come down as the industry switches over to the newer micro arrays and the supply outweighs the demand as most people buy these as a toy or for very up close use with an additional lens.

For instance the nubm31's were hundreds of dollars and now you can find them in the 100 dollar range on ebay and even less elsewhere, the nubm35 and nubm38 were the better deal @ 200.00 each, but now you can find them on ebay in the 50 dollar range and for even less at ali express and tao bao, they will all come down in time.

1st Post: I just got my hands on a lot of what I think may be OSRAM prototypes made for NICHIA's NURM31T. NICHIA announced a few days ago that they're starting to make their own red high power laser diode bars, and that they'd been sourcing their reds from another unnamed manufacturer who I think could only be OSRAM. They have the same package size as the OSRAM PLPM4L to the millimeter, peltiers attached to them and a different lens from the NICHIA's. As far as deviation from the NURM31 specs these could alternatively be the engineering samples for the elusive "long wavelength" version of the NURM31 mentioned in the datasheet. The diodes took 50 watts like a champ but without a better cooling setup I didn't want to burn them. The operating string voltage seems to match NURM31 spec as far as I can tell. If anyone knows them by sight or has any other info on these, it would help me find a home for them. Thanks, -drew

It's interesting that they needed peltiers attached, what or how much are you asking for them ?

ecedrew

For instance the nubm31's were hundreds of dollars and now you can find them in the 100 dollar range on ebay and even less elsewhere, the nubm35 and nubm38 were the better deal @ 200.00 each, but now you can find them on ebay in the 50 dollar range and for even less at ali express and tao bao, they will all come down in time.

It's interesting that they needed peltiers attached, what or how much are you asking for them ?

Hi RedCoyboy,

The blue arrays are indeed coming down fast in price, to about $1 per watt. The red ones though, are a little different story. The minimum that the other guys on eBay are selling one for is 1ea NURM31 @ $765 and one sold recently at this price ($17/watt +!). I have earmarked one of the seven red arrays I have for testing and will confirm the operating current meets NURM31 spec first. When I have a good write-up and pictures for the listing, assuming the test array matches the NURM31 current/voltage spec, I will set the base price on the listing at most a bit under the other NURM31 sellers, maybe ~$650-700/ea with the "Make Offer" button enabled.

-Drew

You have a better chance of playing checkers on a cheetah's ass than getting most people to buy at that price, but good luck all the same.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Yeah. The price for the entire array is off putting. But $17 per watt for red isn’t bad all things considered.

The alignment of these arrays is far from perfect, yet it's better in the Nichia's that use the tiny reflectors ( blues ) but the Osram's don't use reflectors and the alignment is even worse ( blues ).
That said I don't see a lot of uses for the red arrays over the blues that are stronger and less expensive and I wonder if the reds even use reflectors ?

The price per watt is drastically decreased when we can't use the individual diodes, look at the blues, you pay 50 dollars today for a 14 diode array of 5W diodes or 50 bucks for a single 5W diode, why should the reds be any different ? Only because of rarity ATM but we are not talking about all those watts in a single red beam, rather a cluster hump of beams.

screenshot_20230108_142330_edit_1661433936120953-jpg.75551
SANY5324.JPG

Last edited: