Laser Pointer Forums - Discuss Laser Pointers

Laser Pointer Forums - Discuss Laser Pointers (http://laserpointerforums.com/)
-   Other (http://laserpointerforums.com/f57/)
-   -   Space Discussion Thread (http://laserpointerforums.com/f57/space-discussion-thread-97523.html)

Rivem 05-22-2016 10:30 PM

Space Discussion Thread
 
Edit 6/2/16:
We've diverged into a wide range of different space related topics outside of interstellar, so I'm changing the prompt and title of the thread from "Interstellar Space Travel" to "Space Discussion Thread". The original topic is still relevant, but feel free to post about anything else space-related.

So far, we've talked about the challenges and demand for FTL, a little bit of astronomy, a little bit of physics, propulsion technology, space suits, terraforming, solar system exploration, colonization, and more.


**Original**************************************** *******************************
Do you guys think we're ever going to be capable of interstellar space travel? What do you think it'll be like?

Even though space technology has sped up a lot with privatization, I still think we aren't innovating fast enough.

There's a lot of hype about a Martian colony, but it's currently bound to be disappointing for most of us and unreasonable for civilian life. I think that the only way humanity will be able to truly inhabit another planet is to find one that's very similar to Earth, but the only ones are outside our solar system.

Problem is that we're still pretty far from any technology that could get a human to a different solar system within their lifespan.

What do you all think?
************************************************** *****************************

RedCowboy 05-22-2016 10:35 PM

Re: Interstellar Space Travel
 
China will get there before us, half our nation is comprised of de evolved dead weight, we will be lucky if we stay free without a revolution. Maybe later, maybe we will go with other nations, right now I fear it's very much back burner.

Rivem 05-22-2016 10:41 PM

Re: Interstellar Space Travel
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TombyG (Post 1423658)
I wish we could travel space but according to Einstein, we can't travel faster than light. If his theories are true then we could never travel fast enough but we could freeze the crew until the amount of time has passed. Honestly though that's not ideal as you would say goodbye to everyone you know for only one trip. To great of a sacrifice if you ask me. Warping space is another idea that could work but do we know for sure if space is malleable to stretch and manipulate? Don't know yet. Just theories. Seems it's always just theories. Maybe it's why we love scifi so much. Gives us hope to our true desires.

Yeah. I feel like some sort of FTL technology would have to be made for any sort of serious interstellar travel. Warping would be awesome.

If we could get up to .5c though, there are several stars that could be reached within 50 years. Not sure who would volunteer for that though.

VirtueViolater 05-22-2016 10:42 PM

Re: Interstellar Space Travel
 
Particle physics will change our lives in the next 20 yrs. Maybe we'll be able to just "beam" ourselves there. Here's to hoping we get there in one piece.....lol
Danny

VirtueViolater 05-22-2016 10:51 PM

Re: Interstellar Space Travel
 
Hi Tomby,
Give quantum entanglement a read, Never mentioned particle speed whatsoever

Hap 05-22-2016 10:53 PM

Re: Interstellar Space Travel
 
Thanks for starting this thread! I love topics like these :D

As of right now, I don't think we are anywhere near being able to colonize space. Look at our species! We're arguing over bathrooms, transgendered people and a total lack on money being spent on science, but on war!

That being said, if we were to try and build in space, we should start with the Moon. Sure, we have some equipment left there, but it's close enough to Earth to rapidly send supplies if need be, and has a terrain and composition we know about. Mars is a huge step. A step I don't think we should try to climb until we figure problems here on Earth. Hec, trying to end our problems here before colonizing the Moon may be good to! Trying to go to distance galaxies, Moons, stars etc.... isn't something we'll be seeing for awhile IMO :yh:

-Alex

Rivem 05-22-2016 11:07 PM

Re: Interstellar Space Travel
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hap (Post 1423664)
Thanks for starting this thread! I love topics like these :D

As of right now, I don't think we are anywhere near being able to colonize space. Look at our species! We're arguing over bathrooms, transgendered people and a total lack on money being spent on science, but on war!

That being said, if we were to try and build in space, we should start with the Moon. Sure, we have some equipment left there, but it's close enough to Earth to rapidly send supplies if need be, and has a terrain and composition we know about. Mars is a huge step. A step I don't think we should try to climb until we figure problems here on Earth. Hec, trying to end our problems here before colonizing the Moon may be good to! Trying to go to distance galaxies, Moons, stars etc.... isn't something we'll be seeing for awhile IMO :yh:

-Alex

If we're talking about solar system objects, I think that settling the moon with a more permanent facility is definitely a must. I honestly feel like Venus is a good second choice with Mars as a third. After that, asteroids, Jupiter's moons or Saturn's atmosphere or moons.

A good starting point for better space habitats would be underwater labs and advanced new submarines in the ocean. The technology is easier to work with, cheaper, and a little safer. Better submarine tech could be used in gas giants (Saturn) and thick atmospheres (Venus). Could also be a source for very valuable environmental data.

vortish 05-22-2016 11:07 PM

Re: Interstellar Space Travel
 
Interplanetary travel will happen with in the next fifty to hundred years. Its when they can develop a engine that can reach close to one c or better. FTL is kind of a pipe dream. now Warp theory has been proven. It is basically taking to points in space and bringing them together like folding a piece of paper in half. two particle physic professors proved that it could be done. So it really comes down to how people can think of a way to get going that fast or making a warp bubble and that is it

Hap 05-22-2016 11:18 PM

Re: Interstellar Space Travel
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rivem (Post 1423669)
If we're talking about solar system objects, I think that settling the moon with a more permanent facility is definitely a must. I honestly feel like Venus is a good second choice with Mars as a third. After that, asteroids, Jupiter's moons or Saturn's atmosphere or moons.

A good starting point for better space habitats would be underwater labs and advanced new submarines in the ocean. The technology is easier to work with, cheaper, and a little safer. Better submarine tech could be used in gas giants (Saturn) and thick atmospheres (Venus). Could also be a source for very valuable environmental data.

Thing with Venus is that you'll need to first get rid of that incredible cloud of gas that wraps around the planet, creating huge temperatures(around 400 Fahrenheit) and the immense pressure! We did manage to get a spacecraft to land on its surface, however it only lasted 50mins before exploding lol :D

-Alex

vortish 05-22-2016 11:23 PM

Re: Interstellar Space Travel
 
Hap Its actually less that 15 minutes your forgetting the amount of pressure that is on venus

Razako 05-22-2016 11:44 PM

Re: Interstellar Space Travel
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by VirtueViolater (Post 1423660)
Particle physics will change our lives in the next 20 yrs. Maybe we'll be able to just "beam" ourselves there. Here's to hoping we get there in one piece.....lol
Danny

Wouldn't beaming somebody effectively 'kill' them and just create a copy that thought it was them? As for the main topic, I don't think it's gonna be possible in a practical sense unless we develop some kind of warp drive/wormhole tech. Maybe multi-generational 'arc-ships' could be a thing. It would be hard getting people to volunteer for such a trip though, knowing they'd never come back.

Rivem 05-22-2016 11:48 PM

Re: Interstellar Space Travel
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hap (Post 1423671)
Thing with Venus is that you'll need to first get rid of that incredible cloud of gas that wraps around the planet, creating huge temperatures(around 400 Fahrenheit) and the immense pressure! We did manage to get a spacecraft to land on its surface, however it only lasted 50mins before exploding lol :D

-Alex

Who said anything about terraforming or living on the surface? :D

Read this section: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coloni...loating_cities
Still has acid and is pretty hot, but not nearly as much radiation as Mars, and the pressure wouldn't require spacesuits. A light Chem suit would do. I think a system of cloud cities and airships would be awesome. There's plenty sunlight at that part of the atmosphere too.

Edit: Check this article out for NASA ideas http://www.space.com/29140-venus-air...echnology.html

Hap 05-23-2016 12:01 AM

Re: Interstellar Space Travel
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rivem (Post 1423675)
Who said anything about terraforming or living on the surface? :D

Read this section: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coloni...loating_cities
Still has acid and is pretty hot, but not nearly as much radiation as Mars, and the pressure wouldn't require spacesuits. A light Chem suit would do. I think a system of cloud cities and airships would be awesome. There's plenty sunlight at that part of the atmosphere too.

Edit: Check this article out for NASA ideas Incredible Technology: NASA's Wild Airship Idea for Cloud Cities on Venus

Ahhhhhhhh :D

-Alex

ThePhotonist 05-23-2016 12:28 AM

Re: Interstellar Space Travel
 
I have unusually high hopes for the future of manned spaceflight. There are actually some very interesting methods being explored right now that could attain faster than light travel, of course it will mean nothing unless we figure out how to do sustainable fusion or we will not be able to power any of these systems, but that's on it's way too. I certainly think that if anyone had the tech to go to another star it would be a world effort, it wouldn't just be one country, not something like that.

Rivem 05-23-2016 03:19 AM

Re: Interstellar Space Travel
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TombyG (Post 1423712)
Honestly I think if we can figure out what gravity is and reverse it then we have a chance for proper space travel. But that's just my opinion. We're too primitive for it right now and I don't expect us to mature enough within the next few centuries.

Knowing more about gravity is definitely a big deal. Not only could it provide thrust, it might hold the key to figuring out how to create warps.

I wouldn't hold my breath either though. We just found out that there are gravity waves (and probably particles). No idea how to make them artificially though.

Razako 05-23-2016 03:28 AM

Re: Interstellar Space Travel
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TombyG (Post 1423712)
Honestly I think if we can figure out what gravity is and reverse it then we have a chance for proper space travel. But that's just my opinion. We're too primitive for it right now and I don't expect us to mature enough within the next few centuries.

Isn't dark energy sort of the 'anti' force to gravity? It's what's accelerating the expansion of the universe in opposition to gravity.


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:19 AM.

Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Privacy Policy | Advertising Disclaimer | Terms of Use
Copyright (C) 2017 Laser Pointer Forums, LLC