LPF Laser Pointer Company Database








Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums! If you are looking for a laser you may want to check out the database of laser pointer companies. The link will open in a new window for your convenience.

Green Laser Pointers Blue Laser Pointers Red Laser Pointers
Yellow Laser Pointers Violet Laser Pointers Orange Laser Pointers
Laser Pointers by Power - 1 Watt+ Laser Pointers by Power - 500mW+ Laser Pointers by Power - 250mW+
Laser Pointer Database High Power Laser Pointers Laser Pointer Diodes


























Go Back   Laser Pointer Forums - Discuss Laser Pointers > Off-Topic > Other

LPF Database of Laser Pointer Companies






Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2015, 07:04 AM #5873
Alaskan's Avatar
Class 4 Laser
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Iraq
Posts: 5,060
Rep Power: 3562
Alaskan has a reputation beyond reputeAlaskan has a reputation beyond reputeAlaskan has a reputation beyond reputeAlaskan has a reputation beyond reputeAlaskan has a reputation beyond reputeAlaskan has a reputation beyond reputeAlaskan has a reputation beyond reputeAlaskan has a reputation beyond reputeAlaskan has a reputation beyond reputeAlaskan has a reputation beyond reputeAlaskan has a reputation beyond repute
Alaskan Alaskan is offline
Class 4 Laser
Alaskan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Iraq
Posts: 5,060
Rep Power: 3562
Alaskan has a reputation beyond reputeAlaskan has a reputation beyond reputeAlaskan has a reputation beyond reputeAlaskan has a reputation beyond reputeAlaskan has a reputation beyond reputeAlaskan has a reputation beyond reputeAlaskan has a reputation beyond reputeAlaskan has a reputation beyond reputeAlaskan has a reputation beyond reputeAlaskan has a reputation beyond reputeAlaskan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LPF's Religion

What if it is true regardless of the seeming inconsistencies, innocents being born with problems and all of that? I think we need to accept we live in a reality where anything can happen to anyone for no reason at all other than chance and that we don't always remember or transfer into our brains what we are aware of when removed from the body. Who says everything need be just or right in this universe, much less physical reality? I don't think so, the conscious collective can exist regardless of what goes wrong, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCowboy View Post
Alaskan my friend I wish it was true, I wish I knew there would be an existence after our physical bodies die. Well as long as it's not hell like, lol.

I have also read about NDE's and even had a soft shutdown theory as I search for evidence of intelligent design.

But I must ask what is more innocent than a newborn child?
Why would babies be born with 2 heads or any of the defects we sometimes see...well that's a different discussion actually, never mind that now.

I can tell you where I think we go when we die, we go the same place we were before we were born...do you remember it? Neither will anyone else.

Even if there was some existence after death we would not see with eyes or touch with hands nor have memories of life or think with our brains.

We do have a subconscious but it is still part of our living brain, a physical computer.

The person we know as Mr. X is his personality it is a product of his life and connections in his brain.
If Mr. X suffers a heart attack and somehow gets revived 10 minutes later only to live out his days as a drooling vegetable then the personality we knew as Mr. X is dead even though his body is alive because all those connections in his brain are lost.

If any life force survives our physical death then it really wont matter because for all practical purposes the person we were is gone as is our ability to think and be conscious.

Think about this: Have you ever been put to sleep for a surgery?

I had my tonsils out and I was unconscious.
If my soul had a consciousness then it would have been aware while my brain was asleep.

It is my belief and a well founded one that we are biological machines and our consciousness is just like the feeling we get when we touch something.
That is it's all chemical and neurological.


__________________

The forum costs more to run than donations received, if you wish to help click this link: http://laserpointerforums.com/donations.htm

Laser Safety: http://www.laserpointersafety.com/index.html

Sam's Laser FAQ: Sam's Laser FAQ: Welcome Page

RHD's Relative Perceived Brightness Calculator. Compare brightness @nm: http://lsrtools.1apps.com/relativebrightness

To shorten my signature I have moved most of my laser related web links to this forum page, the second post in that thread shows most of my builds... Alaskan's Laser Links: http://laserpointerforums.com/f44/al...ml#post1449395


Sincerely investigate any of these three short quotes as new concepts and you've taken your first step into a larger world:

"I regard consciousness as fundamental. I regard matter as derivative from consciousness..." - Max Planck. "Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real" - Neils Bohr. "What we call physical things and events do not exist independently of subjective experience..." - Deepak Chopra.

Each of these three rabbit holes go deep, ending up in the same place.

_______
Alaskan is offline   Reply With Quote








Old 10-06-2015, 07:21 AM #5874
Pi R Squared's Avatar
Class 3B Laser
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Snohomish County Washington, US
Posts: 3,800
Rep Power: 1244
Pi R Squared has a reputation beyond reputePi R Squared has a reputation beyond reputePi R Squared has a reputation beyond reputePi R Squared has a reputation beyond reputePi R Squared has a reputation beyond reputePi R Squared has a reputation beyond reputePi R Squared has a reputation beyond reputePi R Squared has a reputation beyond reputePi R Squared has a reputation beyond reputePi R Squared has a reputation beyond reputePi R Squared has a reputation beyond repute
Pi R Squared Pi R Squared is offline
Class 3B Laser
Pi R Squared's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Snohomish County Washington, US
Posts: 3,800
Rep Power: 1244
Pi R Squared has a reputation beyond reputePi R Squared has a reputation beyond reputePi R Squared has a reputation beyond reputePi R Squared has a reputation beyond reputePi R Squared has a reputation beyond reputePi R Squared has a reputation beyond reputePi R Squared has a reputation beyond reputePi R Squared has a reputation beyond reputePi R Squared has a reputation beyond reputePi R Squared has a reputation beyond reputePi R Squared has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LPF's Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyparagon View Post
Stories cannot be substantiated, and do not qualify as evidence in science.

SCIENCE says the brain is required for consciousness. If you can demonstrate otherwise, you'll be famous. Why do you think none of your youtube buddies have taken up that task?
Stories alone don't prove anything, but enough stories that are the same or very similar are an indication that there is something real happening that should be investigated. There are far too many pretend scientists who will just say "that's not possible" and won't investigate something. In some fields of science it is forbidden to go against current models or theories of how things are. I remember hearing about an archaeological dig in Mexico where they uncovered the remains of a small settlement and so they bring in a geologist to tell them how old it is and he says it's about 500,000 years, they don't believe this so they bring in 2 more geologists and both of them said 500,000 years. Well guess what? These pretend archaeologists decided that the geologists were wrong because there were no humans living there 500,000 years ago. How is that good science?

SCIENCE may say the brain is required for consciousness, but it doesn't prove it. Your computer won't work without the CPU, but all the software and data will still be there, you just can't access it. One of the things we disagree on is weather or not we have both a physical body and a spirit body, you think we only have a physical body, I think we have both, I think the spirit body interfaces with the physical body through the brain and heart, and when the physical body dies the spirit body separates and the person lives on along with all their knowledge and experience. I can't prove this so it is meaningless for now, but I have seen what I consider evidence, at least from my point of view, of course stories of what happened to someone are not evidence.

There may be no real evidence that we continue living after death in a spirit body, but there is enough evidence that there is some kind of non biological life. I explained once before in this thread why I believe what I believe. I will briefly bring it up again, I went to church as a young child and wasn't very interested, but when I was was 8 years old I experienced a genuinely haunted house, and I mean something you should only see in a movie. This made me more open minded and had me thinking maybe there is something to this, if there is an afterlife maybe there is more to this. Again the existance of some kind of non biological life isn't proof of an afterlife but it was good enough for me at the time, even if you believe it or are fortunate enough to experience it for yourself it doesn't prove a God or creator or an afterlife for humans, but I would argue that it's evidence for something. Later in my life with a continued interest in such things I was able to see a ghost and able to speak to spirits through a OuiJa board, something I haven't done in many many years and wouldn't do again, I really advise against it, however for the nonbelievers I could make some suggestions how you could get some interesting results if you are interested. There is so much evidence of something, you can record them (EVP), you can photograph them, you can talk to them through a OuiJa board.



Quote:
Originally Posted by VisibleGreen View Post
It must be terrible for you atheists. No hope for the future. No meaning in life. No value or reason to live and the fact that everything will eventually become inert lifeless matter.
I have often wondered about this myself, it is difficult for me to try to imagine such thinking, although I had such thinking until I was 8 years old, but when you're 8 years old you are never going to die, but they seem to be able to live for today and continue with their lives OK so I don't know what to think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisibleGreen View Post
Also I don't cherry pick. The bible isn't as complicated as you guys think it is. As I said you just aren't educated on the matter. The cross? It's wrong on many levels. Historically the cross wasn't used until a later time. The bible also is against idiols so plastering the cross on your walls, jewelry, tatoos and everything else is also wrong. That's just one example.
I agree idols are bad, but I disagree about the cross, it is the most important symbol of Christianity, it is a reminder to us of something that happened, it is not an idol. Are you LDS? I know they don't like crosses, I have friends that are LDS and they are very nice generous people but I disagree on some things with them.

Alan
__________________
Keychain 650nm <5mW
Quartet 4-in-1 630-680nm <1mW

AtlasNova 635nm <5mW
MillionAccessories 532nm <5mW broken
M462 462nm one of a kind (in progress)
PLTB450B 450nm 1913mW G2 lens
PL520 520nm 82mW acrylic lens
S06J 12X 405nm 590mW G2 lens
C6 M140 445nm 1.5W 3 element lens
9mm 445nm with G2 lens in a stainless steel host
Radiant Electronics X4 3.7W Laser Power Meter


Everyone please post here: Countries of LPF. Where are you? <link>
___________________________________________
The light that shines twice as bright burns half as long.
Pi R Squared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 07:43 AM #5875
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,065
Rep Power: 0
VisibleGreen has a reputation beyond reputeVisibleGreen has a reputation beyond reputeVisibleGreen has a reputation beyond reputeVisibleGreen has a reputation beyond reputeVisibleGreen has a reputation beyond reputeVisibleGreen has a reputation beyond reputeVisibleGreen has a reputation beyond reputeVisibleGreen has a reputation beyond reputeVisibleGreen has a reputation beyond reputeVisibleGreen has a reputation beyond reputeVisibleGreen has a reputation beyond repute
VisibleGreen VisibleGreen is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,065
Rep Power: 0
VisibleGreen has a reputation beyond reputeVisibleGreen has a reputation beyond reputeVisibleGreen has a reputation beyond reputeVisibleGreen has a reputation beyond reputeVisibleGreen has a reputation beyond reputeVisibleGreen has a reputation beyond reputeVisibleGreen has a reputation beyond reputeVisibleGreen has a reputation beyond reputeVisibleGreen has a reputation beyond reputeVisibleGreen has a reputation beyond reputeVisibleGreen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LPF's Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi R Squared View Post
I have often wondered about this myself, it is difficult for me to try to imagine such thinking, although I had such thinking until I was 8 years old, but when you're 8 years old you are never going to die, but they seem to be able to live for today and continue with their lives OK so I don't know what to think.



I agree idols are bad, but I disagree about the cross, it is the most important symbol of Christianity, it is a reminder to us of something that happened, it is not an idol. Are you LDS? I know they don't like crosses, I have friends that are LDS and they are very nice generous people but I disagree on some things with them.

Alan
Not sure what LDS is so I'm probably not that lol.
I hear you about the cross. Yes it's a big symbol for christianity but it's also disproved by the bible.

Please take the time to read the following I got from a site I trust:


The Bible’s answer

Many view the cross as the most common symbol of Christianity. However, the Bible does not describe the instrument of Jesus’ death, so no one can know its shape with absolute certainty. Still, the Bible provides evidence that Jesus died, not on a cross, but on an upright stake.

The Bible generally uses the Greek word stau·ros′ when referring to the instrument of Jesus’ execution. (Matthew 27:40; John 19:17) Although translations often render this word “cross,” many scholars agree that its basic meaning is actually “upright stake.” * According to A Critical Lexicon and Concordance to the English and Greek New Testament, stau·ros′ “never means two pieces of wood joining each other at any angle.”

The Bible also uses the Greek word xy′lon as a synonym for stau·ros′. (Acts 5:30; 1 Peter 2:24) This word means “wood,” “timber,” “stake,” or “tree.” * The Companion Bible thus concludes: “There is nothing in the Greek of the N[ew] T[estament] even to imply two pieces of timber.”
Is using the cross in worship acceptable to God?

A crux simplex—the Latin term for a single stake used for impalement of a criminal

Regardless of the shape of the instrument on which Jesus died, the following facts and Bible verses indicate that we should not use the cross in worship.

God rejects worship that uses images or symbols, including the cross. God commanded the Israelites not to use “the form of any symbol” in their worship, and Christians are likewise told to “flee from idolatry.”—Deuteronomy 4:15-19; 1 Corinthians 10:14.

First-century Christians did not use the cross in worship. * The teachings and example of the apostles set a pattern that all Christians should adhere to.—2 Thessalonians 2:15.

Use of the cross in worship has a pagan origin. * Hundreds of years after the death of Jesus, when the churches had deviated from his teachings, new church members “were permitted largely to retain their pagan signs and symbols,” including the cross. (The Expanded Vine’s Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words) However, the Bible does not condone adopting pagan symbols to help make new converts.—2 Corinthians 6:17.
VisibleGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:01 AM #5876
RedCowboy's Avatar
Class 3B Laser
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Suburbs of Atlanta Georgia
Posts: 3,887
Rep Power: 3515
RedCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeRedCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeRedCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeRedCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeRedCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeRedCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeRedCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeRedCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeRedCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeRedCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeRedCowboy has a reputation beyond repute
RedCowboy RedCowboy is online now
Class 3B Laser
RedCowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Suburbs of Atlanta Georgia
Posts: 3,887
Rep Power: 3515
RedCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeRedCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeRedCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeRedCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeRedCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeRedCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeRedCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeRedCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeRedCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeRedCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeRedCowboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LPF's Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisibleGreen View Post
You would be wrong about that. Amazing how this thread turns what once were decent people into enemies.
We are not enemies, I just have a bugger of a headache tonight, I did not mean to come across as rude.

Believe what makes you happy, and lets all work towards common goals.
We have a lot bigger fish to fry right now as so much is at stake in our world. I think we can all agree that Freedom should always be respected even when we disagree on other beliefs.

Alaskan hit on an important point, respecting each others freedom is the most important thing, but one mans freedom ends where another's begins.

Last edited by RedCowboy; 10-06-2015 at 08:17 AM.
RedCowboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 09:24 AM #5877
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,065
Rep Power: 0
VisibleGreen has a reputation beyond reputeVisibleGreen has a reputation beyond reputeVisibleGreen has a reputation beyond reputeVisibleGreen has a reputation beyond reputeVisibleGreen has a reputation beyond reputeVisibleGreen has a reputation beyond reputeVisibleGreen has a reputation beyond reputeVisibleGreen has a reputation beyond reputeVisibleGreen has a reputation beyond reputeVisibleGreen has a reputation beyond reputeVisibleGreen has a reputation beyond repute
VisibleGreen VisibleGreen is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,065
Rep Power: 0
VisibleGreen has a reputation beyond reputeVisibleGreen has a reputation beyond reputeVisibleGreen has a reputation beyond reputeVisibleGreen has a reputation beyond reputeVisibleGreen has a reputation beyond reputeVisibleGreen has a reputation beyond reputeVisibleGreen has a reputation beyond reputeVisibleGreen has a reputation beyond reputeVisibleGreen has a reputation beyond reputeVisibleGreen has a reputation beyond reputeVisibleGreen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LPF's Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCowboy View Post
We are not enemies, I just have a bugger of a headache tonight, I did not mean to come across as rude.

Believe what makes you happy, and lets all work towards common goals.
We have a lot bigger fish to fry right now as so much is at stake in our world. I think we can all agree that Freedom should always be respected even when we disagree on other beliefs.

Alaskan hit on an important point, respecting each others freedom is the most important thing, but one mans freedom ends where another's begins.
You have no idea how much better this makes me feel. I appreciate it and I hope your headache subsides quickly.
VisibleGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:51 PM #5878
Class 3R Laser
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,296
Rep Power: 173
Teej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond repute
Teej Teej is offline
Class 3R Laser
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,296
Rep Power: 173
Teej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: LPF's Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisibleGreen View Post
You have no idea how much better this makes me feel. I appreciate it and I hope your headache subsides quickly.
Excellent!

So, about the subjective and objective aspects you wanted to answer, I am still looking forward to your response.






PS - In a discussion, especially in a forum who's sole purpose is discussion, please try to remember that humans are not all the same, and, not agreeing with you is not equal to being your enemy.

Friends can simply disagree, just as spouses can, yet still love each other.

Rejection of an IDEA is not the same as rejection of the idea's holder.

If we feel people MUST agree with us, or else they are our enemy, we will have too many enemies.

It is far better to hear everyone's opinion/thoughts with an open mind...the same way you'd want them to hear YOUR thoughts and ideas...and simply allow yourself to consider the other's points as potentially valid, roll them around as if they were your own, and see what that feels like/sparks inside, etc.

My favorite technique is to immediately assume I was wrong, and then slip the other person's reality/thought, etc...into my world, and see if it will "run". If I run their idea, and nothing conflicts, and it seems to work, I'll follow it where ever it goes.

Global climate change was an issue like that for me. Decades ago, I assumed it was more likely to be from the natural temperature cycles, ice ages, etc, the planet has exhibited for millennia. I tried the concept of anthropomorphic causes, this time, and it worked. I followed it up, and, sure enough, I had been wrong...the evidence I had scoffed at was valid, and, overwhelming when looked at without "An agenda".

So, an open mind can let in new ideas. It can also let old ones out.



So, when a disagreement arises, consider all of this.

Once you accept that that's how they feel...and it's not how you feel, hold the concept of the idea, not the person, being the problem.


Far too many fights result from people not being ABLE to allow someone to disagree with them.


Last edited by Teej; 10-06-2015 at 12:58 PM.
Teej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:56 PM #5879
RB astro's Avatar
Class 2M Laser
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Sydney, Australia (ɹǝpunuʍop)
Posts: 680
Rep Power: 2299
RB astro has a reputation beyond reputeRB astro has a reputation beyond reputeRB astro has a reputation beyond reputeRB astro has a reputation beyond reputeRB astro has a reputation beyond reputeRB astro has a reputation beyond reputeRB astro has a reputation beyond reputeRB astro has a reputation beyond reputeRB astro has a reputation beyond reputeRB astro has a reputation beyond reputeRB astro has a reputation beyond repute
RB astro RB astro is offline
Class 2M Laser
RB astro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Sydney, Australia (ɹǝpunuʍop)
Posts: 680
Rep Power: 2299
RB astro has a reputation beyond reputeRB astro has a reputation beyond reputeRB astro has a reputation beyond reputeRB astro has a reputation beyond reputeRB astro has a reputation beyond reputeRB astro has a reputation beyond reputeRB astro has a reputation beyond reputeRB astro has a reputation beyond reputeRB astro has a reputation beyond reputeRB astro has a reputation beyond reputeRB astro has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LPF's Religion

Yes, that's very true Teej.
And may I say thank you to LPF for allowing such discussion.
On another forum I'm on, this would not be allowed.

__________________
Andrew (RB)

─────────────────────────────────☀
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him
should not perish but have everlasting life.
For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world,

but that the world through Him might be saved.
“He who believes in Him is not condemned;
but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
And this is the condemnation, that the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
For everyone practicing evil hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his deeds should be exposed.
But he who does the truth comes to the light, that his deeds may be clearly seen, that they have been done in God.”
(John 3:16-21)
─────────────────────────────────☀
If you confess with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised Him from
the dead, you will be saved.
For it is with your heart that you believe unto righteousness
and it is with your mouth that you confess
your faith and
are saved.
(Romans 10:9-10)
─────────────────────────────────☀
RB astro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 01:07 PM #5880
Class 3R Laser
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,296
Rep Power: 173
Teej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond repute
Teej Teej is offline
Class 3R Laser
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,296
Rep Power: 173
Teej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: LPF's Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB astro View Post
Yes, that's very true Teej.
And may I say thank you to LPF for allowing such discussion.
On another forum I'm on, this would not be allowed.

Forums, true forums, are rare these days.

A format that allows people to really discuss things in depth is refreshing, and eye opening.

The fact that this is within the framework of a laser forum is also amazing, unless you consider that the average member is more of a geek than, say, a jeep forum (Also there...).......and, statistically more likely to have a certain level of intelligence (It's a bell curve of course...)...

...which ALLOWS people from a wide background to unite in their love of a common object (Lasers), and discuss OTHER topics in off topic venues, such as how they feel, and what they believe.


Too often, narrowly focused forums are one dimensional, and all the members hold the same ideologies, etc. That gives a one dimensional view of the world, and tends to make people think that a higher proportion of the population as a whole, feels a certain way,as the members tend to reinforce each other's beliefs.

For extremists, this can be very very significant.

Here, due TO our very diversity, we can discuss a wide array of topics in a meaningful way.

Before the internet, etc, how would people from all over share their ideas in this convenient a fashion?

An online forum, where there ARE dissenting opinions, is VERY healthy.

Teej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 03:51 PM #5881
TheDukeAnumber1's Avatar
Class 3R Laser
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2,036
Rep Power: 516
TheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond reputeTheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond reputeTheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond reputeTheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond reputeTheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond reputeTheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond reputeTheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond reputeTheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond reputeTheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond reputeTheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond reputeTheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond repute
TheDukeAnumber1 TheDukeAnumber1 is offline
Class 3R Laser
TheDukeAnumber1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2,036
Rep Power: 516
TheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond reputeTheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond reputeTheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond reputeTheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond reputeTheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond reputeTheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond reputeTheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond reputeTheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond reputeTheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond reputeTheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond reputeTheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LPF's Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyparagon View Post
I live my life under the assumption that no deities exist, because none have thus far been demonstrated to exist, but I cannot know that no deities exist.
Jesus demonstrated God exists.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyparagon View Post
The alternative - what you suggest - is living my life under the assumption that a countless number of deities exist (because none of them have been proven to not exist), which is absurd and contradictory.
I've never suggested to assume that, but I do suggest you see the evidence and to at least acknowledge belief in Jesus is a reasonable belief.

Your alternative is to hold true to what you do not know. Even Bertrand Russell acknowledged that he ought to call himself an agnostic.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyparagon View Post
Not quite. The notion is "It's true. Prove me wrong." I've considered it, and rejected it, because that's not how evidence works. It's just another russel's teapot.

That's not at all how the information in that article is presented. So you maybe read 10% of a relatively short article, and are rejecting the whole thing. This is not "entertaining a thought without accepting it" or as Aristotle put it, "the mark of an educated mind".

I do research your Biblical criticisms for myself to see if I would agree or disagree, but I'm having a hard time trusting you sufficiently expose yourself to both sides of the argument.
__________________
“Absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence."
http://laserpointerforums.com/donations.htm
“It is impossible that any ill should happen to the man who is beloved of the Lord; the most crushing calamities can only shorten his journey and hasten him to his reward. Ill to him is no ill, but only good in a mysterious form. Losses enrich him, sickness is his medicine, reproach is his honour, death is his gain. No evil in the strict sense of the word can happen to him, for everything is overruled for good. Happy is he who is in such a case. He is secure where others are in peril, he lives where others die.”—Spurgeon
Avatar by Yohsi Yaki
TheDukeAnumber1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 03:55 PM #5882
Alaskan's Avatar
Class 4 Laser
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Iraq
Posts: 5,060
Rep Power: 3562
Alaskan has a reputation beyond reputeAlaskan has a reputation beyond reputeAlaskan has a reputation beyond reputeAlaskan has a reputation beyond reputeAlaskan has a reputation beyond reputeAlaskan has a reputation beyond reputeAlaskan has a reputation beyond reputeAlaskan has a reputation beyond reputeAlaskan has a reputation beyond reputeAlaskan has a reputation beyond reputeAlaskan has a reputation beyond repute
Alaskan Alaskan is offline
Class 4 Laser
Alaskan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Iraq
Posts: 5,060
Rep Power: 3562
Alaskan has a reputation beyond reputeAlaskan has a reputation beyond reputeAlaskan has a reputation beyond reputeAlaskan has a reputation beyond reputeAlaskan has a reputation beyond reputeAlaskan has a reputation beyond reputeAlaskan has a reputation beyond reputeAlaskan has a reputation beyond reputeAlaskan has a reputation beyond reputeAlaskan has a reputation beyond reputeAlaskan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LPF's Religion

For myself, I am fairly disgusted with organized religion and the limitations they present upon their members. The first most obvious indication I see that a religion is false is when they proclaim you can't progress, or will be punished if you don't belong, accept and believe in what they teach as the truth and spiritual path to what they call God. When I see that, they are automatically discredited in my mind because I have no doubts we are in essence innately spiritual beings simply because we are self conscious. I see individuals such as Jesus were simply enlightened men, to a degree and that there have been many enlightened individuals throughout the ages and when ever a dogmatic religion is founded upon any of them is when we have lost their message. I believe we are all sons and daughters of this thing called God which is simply the whole aware of itself, at some level, nothing more or less and of which we are parts, pieces of the whole which without us, that wholeness would not exist at all, including this thing called God by many.

As far as atheists, when it comes to their rejection of "God" as taught by religions, I believe they are more right than wrong in so many ways, they deserve respect for rejecting the non-sense, but unfortunately, through that rejection many won't allow themselves to see their own spiritual natures and that the physics of this universe allows us to continue beyond our physical lives, that some part of us survives, from everything I've come to see now, this is the reality but not due to religion, being good here or not, we all survive death due to entanglement of information to create what is often called a soul which can continue to exist outside of this reality without our batteries running down, so to speak. Here, in this reality it takes energy for something to continue to exist, on the other side we are the energy which when operating in a timeless reality, cannot dissipate into nothingness.

I can't prove any of the above, no use arguing it or telling me I'm wrong, this is simply how I see things, but feel free to tell me anyway, if you wish.
__________________

The forum costs more to run than donations received, if you wish to help click this link: http://laserpointerforums.com/donations.htm

Laser Safety: http://www.laserpointersafety.com/index.html

Sam's Laser FAQ: Sam's Laser FAQ: Welcome Page

RHD's Relative Perceived Brightness Calculator. Compare brightness @nm: http://lsrtools.1apps.com/relativebrightness

To shorten my signature I have moved most of my laser related web links to this forum page, the second post in that thread shows most of my builds... Alaskan's Laser Links: http://laserpointerforums.com/f44/al...ml#post1449395


Sincerely investigate any of these three short quotes as new concepts and you've taken your first step into a larger world:

"I regard consciousness as fundamental. I regard matter as derivative from consciousness..." - Max Planck. "Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real" - Neils Bohr. "What we call physical things and events do not exist independently of subjective experience..." - Deepak Chopra.

Each of these three rabbit holes go deep, ending up in the same place.

_______
Alaskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 04:07 PM #5883
Class 3R Laser
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,296
Rep Power: 173
Teej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond repute
Teej Teej is offline
Class 3R Laser
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,296
Rep Power: 173
Teej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: LPF's Religion

How did Jesus prove god exists?

We're barely sure Jesus existed, let alone that he had a Dad who was a deity, etc.

IE:

Premise: There's no proof that god exists.

Answer: His son said his dad existed, and, the he was also his dad....so he's saying HE existed.

Um, not that strong a proof...as the assumption that Jesus was the son of god requires there to be a dad...and, the question is whether his dad was god...


IE: I'm a priest.

How do I know you're not lying?

Would a priest lie?


And so forth.

So, yes, there is no proof god exists...at least that has ever been presented and found to be a valid proof.

The rules to be valid are the same rules used for any argument, there is no bias, just logic. If, logically, there were a valid argument, I would be very very receptive to it.

Last edited by Teej; 10-06-2015 at 04:13 PM.
Teej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 04:25 PM #5884
TheDukeAnumber1's Avatar
Class 3R Laser
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2,036
Rep Power: 516
TheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond reputeTheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond reputeTheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond reputeTheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond reputeTheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond reputeTheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond reputeTheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond reputeTheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond reputeTheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond reputeTheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond reputeTheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond repute
TheDukeAnumber1 TheDukeAnumber1 is offline
Class 3R Laser
TheDukeAnumber1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2,036
Rep Power: 516
TheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond reputeTheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond reputeTheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond reputeTheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond reputeTheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond reputeTheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond reputeTheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond reputeTheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond reputeTheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond reputeTheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond reputeTheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LPF's Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan View Post
I see individuals such as Jesus were simply enlightened men, to a degree and that there have been many enlightened individuals throughout the ages and when ever a dogmatic religion is founded upon any of them is when we have lost their message
"I am trying here to prevent anyone saying the really foolish thing that people often say about Him: “I’m ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don’t accept His claim to be God.” That is the one thing we must not say. A man who said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic — on a level with the man who says he is a poached egg — or else he would be the Devil of Hell. You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse. You can shut Him up for a fool, you can spit at Him and kill Him as a demon; or you can fall at His feet and call Him Lord and God. But let us not come with any patronizing nonsense about His being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to.”" - C. S. Lewis
__________________
“Absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence."
http://laserpointerforums.com/donations.htm
“It is impossible that any ill should happen to the man who is beloved of the Lord; the most crushing calamities can only shorten his journey and hasten him to his reward. Ill to him is no ill, but only good in a mysterious form. Losses enrich him, sickness is his medicine, reproach is his honour, death is his gain. No evil in the strict sense of the word can happen to him, for everything is overruled for good. Happy is he who is in such a case. He is secure where others are in peril, he lives where others die.”—Spurgeon
Avatar by Yohsi Yaki
TheDukeAnumber1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 04:54 PM #5885
Class 3R Laser
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,296
Rep Power: 173
Teej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond repute
Teej Teej is offline
Class 3R Laser
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,296
Rep Power: 173
Teej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: LPF's Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDukeAnumber1 View Post
"I am trying here to prevent anyone saying the really foolish thing that people often say about Him: “I’m ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don’t accept His claim to be God.” That is the one thing we must not say. A man who said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic — on a level with the man who says he is a poached egg — or else he would be the Devil of Hell. You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse. You can shut Him up for a fool, you can spit at Him and kill Him as a demon; or you can fall at His feet and call Him Lord and God. But let us not come with any patronizing nonsense about His being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to.”" - C. S. Lewis

That presents a false dichotomy, in that there are other options, as well as lunacy or deity.

For example, the most LIKELY scenario is neither a lunatic or a deity, but a Jewish zealot, rebelling against the Romans, with his cause being establishment of a fundamentalist, strict interpretation of Judaism.

Hundreds of years later, the Catholic Church wrote a narrative that reframed his story to that of the Jesus we know today. It was done to present a religion that encouraged ignorance as bliss, meekness inheriting the earth, beating swords into plowshares, being loyal to your masters, paying even more taxes than asked for, turning the other cheek, and other non-rebellious ideas.

As some places mentioned in the bible didn't actually exist at the time they needed to, Bethlehem for example, did not exist until hundreds of years after Jesus was alleged to have been born there....but those writing the narrative did not know it wasn't there, and said stuff happened there because it worked at the time....and so forth.

So, the most likely scenario is not that there was a man-god child of himself who impregnated his own mother while leaving her a virgin...or a lunatic who would THINK that's what he did....but that the story was a fiction invented to control the masses.

Teej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 05:08 PM #5886
TheDukeAnumber1's Avatar
Class 3R Laser
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2,036
Rep Power: 516
TheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond reputeTheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond reputeTheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond reputeTheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond reputeTheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond reputeTheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond reputeTheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond reputeTheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond reputeTheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond reputeTheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond reputeTheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond repute
TheDukeAnumber1 TheDukeAnumber1 is offline
Class 3R Laser
TheDukeAnumber1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2,036
Rep Power: 516
TheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond reputeTheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond reputeTheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond reputeTheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond reputeTheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond reputeTheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond reputeTheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond reputeTheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond reputeTheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond reputeTheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond reputeTheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LPF's Religion

You're repeating the same Biblical criticisms to me you have before. I've researched them for myself and have found them to be unconvincing.
__________________
“Absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence."
http://laserpointerforums.com/donations.htm
“It is impossible that any ill should happen to the man who is beloved of the Lord; the most crushing calamities can only shorten his journey and hasten him to his reward. Ill to him is no ill, but only good in a mysterious form. Losses enrich him, sickness is his medicine, reproach is his honour, death is his gain. No evil in the strict sense of the word can happen to him, for everything is overruled for good. Happy is he who is in such a case. He is secure where others are in peril, he lives where others die.”—Spurgeon
Avatar by Yohsi Yaki
TheDukeAnumber1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 05:12 PM #5887
Class 3R Laser
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,296
Rep Power: 173
Teej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond repute
Teej Teej is offline
Class 3R Laser
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,296
Rep Power: 173
Teej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond reputeTeej has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: LPF's Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDukeAnumber1 View Post
You're repeating the same Biblical criticisms to me you have before. I've researched them for myself and have found them to be unconvincing.
What was unconvincing?

That the bible mentions things happening in places that didn't exist yet?

If you use the bible as a source of its own veracity, you will tend to find a veracity pattern.



You needed no convincing to accept what the bible says is true, yet, there is SIGNIFICANT evidence that the bible has untruths...and none, except in its own pages, that say its all true.

Last edited by Teej; 10-06-2015 at 05:14 PM.
Teej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 05:21 PM #5888
TheDukeAnumber1's Avatar
Class 3R Laser
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2,036
Rep Power: 516
TheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond reputeTheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond reputeTheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond reputeTheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond reputeTheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond reputeTheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond reputeTheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond reputeTheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond reputeTheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond reputeTheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond reputeTheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond repute
TheDukeAnumber1 TheDukeAnumber1 is offline
Class 3R Laser
TheDukeAnumber1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2,036
Rep Power: 516
TheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond reputeTheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond reputeTheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond reputeTheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond reputeTheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond reputeTheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond reputeTheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond reputeTheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond reputeTheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond reputeTheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond reputeTheDukeAnumber1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LPF's Religion

Feel free to source your claims. I don't find you credible when you say things like...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teej View Post
We're barely sure Jesus existed,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teej View Post
You needed no convincing to accept what the bible says is true,
And here claiming to know something you cannot know or even reasonably assume.
__________________
“Absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence."
http://laserpointerforums.com/donations.htm
“It is impossible that any ill should happen to the man who is beloved of the Lord; the most crushing calamities can only shorten his journey and hasten him to his reward. Ill to him is no ill, but only good in a mysterious form. Losses enrich him, sickness is his medicine, reproach is his honour, death is his gain. No evil in the strict sense of the word can happen to him, for everything is overruled for good. Happy is he who is in such a case. He is secure where others are in peril, he lives where others die.”—Spurgeon
Avatar by Yohsi Yaki

Last edited by TheDukeAnumber1; 10-06-2015 at 05:45 PM.
TheDukeAnumber1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply





Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://laserpointerforums.com/f57/lpf-s-religion-34223.html
Posted By For Type Date
DARPA Continues Human Experiments to Create Military Super Soldiers - Top US World News | Susanne Posel Daily Headlines and Research This thread Refback 08-05-2014 02:49 AM
Def belongs in my future home | Caylin&#39;s | Pinterest This thread Refback 05-19-2014 06:18 PM
Man slays son; claims God told him to | Say What? This thread Refback 06-17-2012 05:35 AM
LPF's Religion - Page 92 - Laser Pointer Forums - Discuss Lasers & Laser Pointers This thread Refback 02-29-2012 05:46 AM










Loading








Top 50 Laser Pointer Companies - Green Lasers Top 50 Laser Pointer Companies - Blue Lasers Top 50 Laser Pointer Companies - Red Lasers
Top 50 Laser Pointer Companies - Yellow Lasers Top 50 Laser Pointer Companies - Purple Lasers Top 50 Laser Pointer Companies - Orange Lasers
Top Laser Pointers by Power - 1 Watt+ Top Laser Pointers by Power - 500mW+ Top Laser Pointers by Power - 250mW+
Laser Pointer Database High Power Laser Pointers Laser Pointer Diodes




Privacy Policy | Advertising Disclaimer | Terms of Use


 


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:58 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Privacy Policy | Advertising Disclaimer | Terms of Use
Copyright (C) 2016 Laser Pointer Forums, LLC