Laser Pointer Forums - Discuss Laser Pointers

Laser Pointer Forums - Discuss Laser Pointers (http://laserpointerforums.com/)
-   Safety & Legal Issues (http://laserpointerforums.com/f53/)
-   -   I've decided on Eagle Pair Now which ones for 650nm? (http://laserpointerforums.com/f53/i-ve-decided-eagle-pair-now-ones-650nm-74884.html)

Jinx 06-01-2012 09:23 PM

I've decided on Eagle Pair Now which ones for 650nm?
 
Hey guys after deliberating for a while i decided it was not worth going with a cheap 20 dollar pair of glasses not knowing if they'd be safe, so i read lots of post and decided eaglepair is worth the extra 20 bucks as they seem to be lowest price but still moderaly safe glasses.. I intend to mostly work with 650nm red diods out of 16x DVD burners (maybe 18 or 20x if i ever find that speed) So i'm thinking the 650nm is what i'll need for now, one day i might go bluray drives but those aren't so easy to find used for free/cheap right now..


So my question, survival laser has 2 pairs of eagles and instinctually i'd think this is what i need:
Eagle PairŪ 190-400nm & 580-760nm Laser Safety Goggles




But then i saw these and some mention that they tested it at 635 and got 2.5 OD at that level.. I'm not sure if thats good or bad..but here's think to them
Eagle PairŪ 190-470nm & 660-760nm Laser Safety Goggles


Both are the exact same price.. Would either pair work for 650nm from probably 100-300mw (i'll probably only run this 16x didoe at 200mw in reality) To protect me from a direct hit?


Thanks!

justinjja 06-01-2012 10:33 PM

Re: I've decided on Eagle Pair Now which ones for 650nm?
 
I have the 2nd pair, they work well for my high power 635nm lasers,
But hey honestly work a little too well for an lpc 650nm buld, even at a fairly high current, i cant even see the dot from it with out getting my head right up next to the wall, lol

Jinx 06-01-2012 10:49 PM

Re: I've decided on Eagle Pair Now which ones for 650nm?
 
Thanks for the chime in! (people please still contribute i haven't purchased yet).

Is there a point of too much protection then? I.e. you cant even see what its shining at or possibly reflecting off? And i'm guessing that my 650 will be a little more visable than your 635?

I just want to make sure if is something happens and the laser bounces off a shiney object and into my glasses or if it directly is turned into my face for a split second, that whichever glasses i wear are going to save my eyes.

justinjja 06-01-2012 10:52 PM

Re: I've decided on Eagle Pair Now which ones for 650nm?
 
Generaly you dont want more than 5mw of laser light to hit your eye,
Radiant Electronics has a nice calculator to show you what OD is needed
LINK: RadiantShadesV2 for Violet, Blue and Green Lasers

EDIT
When I say lpc, I mean a 650 build

650 is much less visible mw per mw compared to 635
Not perfect but also usefull:http://rohanhill.com/tools/RelativeB...&ChromaCompat=

Jinx 06-01-2012 11:06 PM

Re: I've decided on Eagle Pair Now which ones for 650nm?
 
Good to know! I'm mostly doing this as a hobby to salvage Ld's from old drives though, not sure if i'll get into lower wavelengths unless they get reallllly cheap :)

For now I just wana play around with the 650 but, maybe the first pair i linked would be better since they seem to scoop lower on their 'stated' numbers than the 2nd pair?
although the 2nd pair goes alway the way up to 470 and the first pair only goes to 400, if i wanted to do a 'blu-ray' drive diode, would the 470 of the 2nd pair be safe to use for that as well? or am i gonna have to get a whole new pair of goggles regardless which of the 2 pairs i choose if i want to expirment with a bluray diode later down the road?

justinjja 06-01-2012 11:13 PM

Re: I've decided on Eagle Pair Now which ones for 650nm?
 
Bluray is ~405
so 190-470 would be good

Bionic-Badger 06-03-2012 12:29 AM

Re: I've decided on Eagle Pair Now which ones for 650nm?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jinx (Post 1081861)
Thanks for the chime in! (people please still contribute i haven't purchased yet).

Is there a point of too much protection then? I.e. you cant even see what its shining at or possibly reflecting off? And i'm guessing that my 650 will be a little more visable than your 635?

I just want to make sure if is something happens and the laser bounces off a shiney object and into my glasses or if it directly is turned into my face for a split second, that whichever glasses i wear are going to save my eyes.

For too much protection, you'll want enough protection that you can look at the dot or what you're working with and not feel irritated but not too much that you can't see what you're doing. That'll depend on the wavelength itself as your eyes are more sensitive to some wavelengths than others. Sometimes you might be protected, but the dot is still bright enough to be annoying. With green, for example, you might want a higher rating as your eyes are more sensitive to that range of wavelengths than something like blue or red. Other times it is too hard to see any of the light that is being filtered. I guess you'll just have to find a balance.

Something to think about is what other wavelengths you want your goggles to allow through. Those are the ones that you'll be using to see what you're doing. The Visible Light Through (VLT) rating is the amount of light the goggles pass through while still protecting you against the wavelengths you want protection for. I had some goggles that protected me against green, but ended up buying a different pair because it was just so hard to see what I was doing with the first pair.

Here's what I look for in goggles: at least OD 2.5, but preferably 3+ just so you can be protected for higher powered lasers and not have your eyes irritated. OD6+ can be a bit too much, except for IR. With my YLW goggles, that provide about OD5-6, they work fine because those bluish wavelengths fluoresce on sufaces; however, I don't know if they'd be as usable if the laser light didn't do that. The YLWs also have awesome VLT at 73%. For red wavelengths I bought the RB2 filters because they have a 35% VLT and about OD3 for red. So it's easy to see what I'm doing, and the red light isn't irritating. For green I got ARGs, which have 48% VLT, and exceptional protection for green (OD7). The brightness of the green is enough that even at 80mW it is still easy to see the dot.

I don't know about the protection those Eagle pairs provide, but if I were to get two pairs of goggles, they would be the ARG (covers 405nm, 445nm, and 532nm) and the RB2 (635nm, 660nm). For my own tastes, I think those Eagle pairs of goggles would be too hard to work with because of their VLT and the wavelengths they actually allow through (the green and dark blue could be irritating).

Finally, if you are going to get some Eagle goggles, I would get this pair for 532nm and shorter. The orange is probably a lot like the ARG pair above, and the VLT looks about the same.

Jinx 06-03-2012 03:53 AM

Re: I've decided on Eagle Pair Now which ones for 650nm?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bionic-Badger (Post 1082184)
For too much protection, you'll want enough protection that you can look at the dot or what you're working with and not feel irritated but not too much that you can't see what you're doing. That'll depend on the wavelength itself as your eyes are more sensitive to some wavelengths than others. Sometimes you might be protected, but the dot is still bright enough to be annoying. With green, for example, you might want a higher rating as your eyes are more sensitive to that range of wavelengths than something like blue or red. Other times it is too hard to see any of the light that is being filtered. I guess you'll just have to find a balance.

Something to think about is what other wavelengths you want your goggles to allow through. Those are the ones that you'll be using to see what you're doing. The Visible Light Through (VLT) rating is the amount of light the goggles pass through while still protecting you against the wavelengths you want protection for. I had some goggles that protected me against green, but ended up buying a different pair because it was just so hard to see what I was doing with the first pair.

Here's what I look for in goggles: at least OD 2.5, but preferably 3+ just so you can be protected for higher powered lasers and not have your eyes irritated. OD6+ can be a bit too much, except for IR. With my YLW goggles, that provide about OD5-6, they work fine because those bluish wavelengths fluoresce on sufaces; however, I don't know if they'd be as usable if the laser light didn't do that. The YLWs also have awesome VLT at 73%. For red wavelengths I bought the RB2 filters because they have a 35% VLT and about OD3 for red. So it's easy to see what I'm doing, and the red light isn't irritating. For green I got ARGs, which have 48% VLT, and exceptional protection for green (OD7). The brightness of the green is enough that even at 80mW it is still easy to see the dot.

I don't know about the protection those Eagle pairs provide, but if I were to get two pairs of goggles, they would be the ARG (covers 405nm, 445nm, and 532nm) and the RB2 (635nm, 660nm). For my own tastes, I think those Eagle pairs of goggles would be too hard to work with because of their VLT and the wavelengths they actually allow through (the green and dark blue could be irritating).

Finally, if you are going to get some Eagle goggles, I would get this pair for 532nm and shorter. The orange is probably a lot like the ARG pair above, and the VLT looks about the same.


Very informative post thank you, Though your final recommendation (the orangies) they dont seem to offer much protection for 650nm Spectrum which is where i'm going to be stating my excursions. I'm going to be using Ld's from DVD burners, and possibly 'eventually' moving up to bluray LD's from blu ray burners.. But for the time being i'm goin to be mostly working with a single 650nm (i'm asuming that wavelength or closer is what DVD 16x Burners use).

I read your postings and i do agree i need to be careful with too dark of tint glasses which is making me further lead towards the 2nd pair i posted (i light greenish colored lenses) I just worry that since the website says 660-760nm I might be missing protection in the 650 range.. Thought it does say that it protects the 635nm with an OD of approx 2.5 (not that my diode is 635 but surely it would be slightly higher od at 650 ?) and 2.5 is probably acceptable for a 1 second direct hit into the glasses right?

Jinx 06-03-2012 08:52 PM

Re: I've decided on Eagle Pair Now which ones for 650nm?
 
I guess my question has morphed a little more into this straight forward phrasing:

Would these glasses:
Eagle PairŪ 190-470nm & 660-760nm Laser Safety Goggles

Protect me adequetly (a 1 second direct hit or less) from a 650nm REd laser at around 200mw?

justinjja 06-03-2012 09:22 PM

Re: I've decided on Eagle Pair Now which ones for 650nm?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jinx (Post 1082482)
I guess my question has morphed a little more into this straight forward phrasing:

Would these glasses:
Eagle PairŪ 190-470nm & 660-760nm Laser Safety Goggles

Protect me adequetly (a 1 second direct hit or less) from a 650nm REd laser at around 200mw?

Yes, but at 200mW a "650nm" laser would most likely be outputing light at 660nm
Graphs for a common red laser diode

grainde 06-03-2012 09:36 PM

Re: I've decided on Eagle Pair Now which ones for 650nm?
 
I have a couple of pairs of these: Eagle PairŪ 190-400nm & 580-760nm Laser Safety Goggles

These are similar to the ones you have mentioned, but apparently have a broader coverage in the red. I can actually see a red dot with a 500 mW 635, when Im wearing them, but less than 1 mW gets though. I tested them on my LPM and actually got 0 mW.

Jinx 06-04-2012 02:24 AM

Re: I've decided on Eagle Pair Now which ones for 650nm?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by justinjja (Post 1082490)
Yes, but at 200mW a "650nm" laser would most likely be outputing light at 660nm
Graphs for a common red laser diode


Oh very interesting so as you drive more power into them their wavelength starts to climb a bit? according to the post you gave it looks like they dont actually start at 650 but more like 653-655 ... and even tho those glasses says 660 and up, they still will protect a little bit lower than 660? I wasn't sure if you always had to be within their specified range or not, just want to protect my eyes :)

Jinx 06-04-2012 02:26 AM

Re: I've decided on Eagle Pair Now which ones for 650nm?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by grainde (Post 1082495)
I have a couple of pairs of these: Eagle PairŪ 190-400nm & 580-760nm Laser Safety Goggles

These are similar to the ones you have mentioned, but apparently have a broader coverage in the red. I can actually see a red dot with a 500 mW 635, when Im wearing them, but less than 1 mW gets though. I tested them on my LPM and actually got 0 mW.


These were going to be my first choice, but I've since wondered between this pair and the green other pair (660-760nm) becuase i may get my hands on a bluray diode one day and want to play around with it and the more greenish lense pair might be better suited for that ? But I do appreciate your chiming in owning the other more 'blue' pair so if i do go that route i'll know i'll be safe! Do you have any 650nm at about 200mw power and if so are you able to see the dot with your glasses on?

grainde 06-04-2012 08:47 AM

Re: I've decided on Eagle Pair Now which ones for 650nm?
 
1 Attachment(s)
Ok I did a few quick tests and the 580 - 760 nm goggles I recommended completely blocked a 650 nm beam on my LPM. The dot was visible initially but, and Im making an assumption here, as the laser warmed up it shifted slightly higher towards 660 nm. I assume this, because after 30 seconds or so the dot was no longer visible. I retested the power on the LPM and it was the same so no it wasnt the batteries.

One word of caution!! The goggles are also marked as 190-400 nm, but this doesnt mean they will protect you from 405 nm. I decided to check this and shone a 120 mW 405 some distance away from me and was surprised to see that the dot was just as visible with or without the glasses! Ie all the light passed through! NO PROTECTION! Bare this in mind when you consider your green glasses.

Ideally you should get two pairs one for red and one for blue/ violet (and green!).:beer:


Edit: Here is a link to the eagle pair website: Product-Beijing EagleView (there are 2 pages of products and your green ones should be listed...look at the bottom ;))

This is the closest I could find to the OD wavelength graph of these goggles. This is NOT the actual one for these goggles, because they dont actually list one for the EP11 goggles I mentioned, but it seems to fit in terms of the protection range.

Jinx 06-04-2012 08:08 PM

Re: I've decided on Eagle Pair Now which ones for 650nm?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by grainde (Post 1082665)
Ok I did a few quick tests and the 580 - 760 nm goggles I recommended completely blocked a 650 nm beam on my LPM. The dot was visible initially but, and Im making an assumption here, as the laser warmed up it shifted slightly higher towards 660 nm. I assume this, because after 30 seconds or so the dot was no longer visible. I retested the power on the LPM and it was the same so no it wasnt the batteries.

One word of caution!! The goggles are also marked as 190-400 nm, but this doesnt mean they will protect you from 405 nm. I decided to check this and shone a 120 mW 405 some distance away from me and was surprised to see that the dot was just as visible with or without the glasses! Ie all the light passed through! NO PROTECTION! Bare this in mind when you consider your green glasses.

Ideally you should get two pairs one for red and one for blue/ violet (and green!).:beer:


Edit: Here is a link to the eagle pair website: Product-Beijing EagleView (there are 2 pages of products and your green ones should be listed...look at the bottom ;))

This is the closest I could find to the OD wavelength graph of these goggles. This is NOT the actual one for these goggles, because they dont actually list one for the EP11 goggles I mentioned, but it seems to fit in terms of the protection range.


So your pair would not be sufficient for a blu ray diode then right?

The green pair i've been leaning more towards : Eagle PairŪ 190-470nm & 660-760nm Laser Safety Goggles

say they go up to 470nm so they might be more suited towards being able to do blu ray as well some day?

I cannot find them on the link you gave me, there isn't any on the eagle pair website that seem to have those exact same specs that survival laser lists.. survival laser is on the up and up right? (they wouldn't sell knock offs?)

** edit Maybe these are them and eagle pair has updated them but survival laser doesnt have the updated pairs? http://www.eaglelaser.cn/En/GoodsView/717.html

They state 610 to 760nm and 190-470 and i gotta say their chart looks pretty good if i'm reading it right?
http://www.eaglelaser.cn/UserFiles/Image/EP-13new.JPG

If thats to be believed it looks like i'd probably OD 4 up to 432-435 ish for blu ray one day, and it lokos like i'd get about 4.5 to almost 5 OD at 650? Or am i reading it wrong? These are the pair i'd probably like to get, if i can find em for survival lasers prices that would be nice I think? Please correct me if i'm wrong about any of this.

grainde 06-04-2012 10:35 PM

Re: I've decided on Eagle Pair Now which ones for 650nm?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jinx (Post 1082835)
So your pair would not be sufficient for a blu ray diode then right?

Correct you cant use mine for 405 nm.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jinx (Post 1082835)
The green pair i've been leaning more towards : Eagle PairŪ 190-470nm & 660-760nm Laser Safety Goggles say they go up to 470nm so they might be more suited towards being able to do blu ray as well some day?

They look better yes, if you have the correct OD vs WL graph....You could ask Garoq if he sells them and he might also be able to test and/ or confirm whether they will be suitable, before you buy?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jinx (Post 1082835)
I cannot find them on the link you gave me, there isn't any on the eagle pair website that seem to have those exact same specs that survival laser lists.. survival laser is on the up and up right? (they wouldn't sell knock offs?)

Survival laser is a good company; dont worry!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jinx (Post 1082835)
** edit Maybe these are them and eagle pair has updated them but survival laser doesnt have the updated pairs? EP-13-Beijing EagleView
They state 610 to 760nm and 190-470 and i gotta say their chart looks pretty good if i'm reading it right?
http://www.eaglelaser.cn/UserFiles/Image/EP-13new.JPG

Yup

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jinx (Post 1082835)
If thats to be believed it looks like i'd probably OD 4 up to 432-435 ish for blu ray one day, and it lokos like i'd get about 4.5 to almost 5 OD at 650? Or am i reading it wrong? These are the pair i'd probably like to get, if i can find em for survival lasers prices that would be nice I think? Please correct me if i'm wrong about any of this.

You're reading it correctly. I dont know if Garoq has them, but you could always send him a PM he's very helpful! Here's a link to him: Garoq

Good luck :beer:


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:23 AM.

Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Privacy Policy | Advertising Disclaimer | Terms of Use
Copyright (C) 2017 Laser Pointer Forums, LLC